Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135443 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #350 on: November 07, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Whoever taught you was probably like 80 years old and enjoyed doing things the hard way

I can't imagine how taking the door off the frame would make it easier, this just allows the jamb to flex and fall out of square.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 07, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
Very proud of metalhead

"we" didn't have the right tools, so I ran out to my truck and grabbed my tool bag out of my tool box and was just like, "hey maintenance guy, stand back and hold the flashlight here. I've got this".

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 07, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »
my #metricwrench game and my #deepsocket game is on point, son. #fixingshit

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 07, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »
I bet you really emasculated that guy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 07, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »
Doors can be tricky, just make sure things are plumb. Take the door off and shim the bottom of the for the head to be level, then shim /plumb/nail the hinge side. You can put the door back on then to help keep the gaps on the other side consistent.

I would stain the door in a garage. Stain, poly, scuff with fine sandpaper, wipe off dust with tack cloth, 2nd coat of poly

not saying you're wrong, but I worked as a professional carpenter for 5 years and I was taught to always hang jambs with the door intact (if pre-hung) I've done it both ways and this way always seems easier to me. But, that's what I'm most familiar with.  :th_twocents:
Not saying you two are both wrong but I have never hung a door and never intend to. Get a professional to do it right.
My plan was to hang the door/jamb in tact, use a framing level, rubber mallet, hammer and finishing nails, and lastly some long screws to set the hinges/shims.  I dunno, watched a guy on youtube run through an entire install, didn't observe anything too tricky but i guess we'll see.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 07, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
I bet you really emasculated that guy

Afterwards he gave me directions to an authentic mexican food place south of fort worth for this weekend. I didn't want to tell him that we probably weren't leaving downtown.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 07, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
That was very nice of him

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 07, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
That was very nice of him

tbh, you've more than likely met him. he was probably at the job site when you were there last.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 07, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
Nope!

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 07, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 07, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
Just replaced the motor on our air compressor to save the operation. Not even my job. :gocho:

thats pretty handymany
I'm a god-damned american handyman hero.

I'm no Bob Villa but metalhead is about a thousand times as handyman-y as I am. He really is a hero.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 07, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 07, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
They let you do that?!?! - havs

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 07, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »
Doors can be tricky, just make sure things are plumb. Take the door off and shim the bottom of the for the head to be level, then shim /plumb/nail the hinge side. You can put the door back on then to help keep the gaps on the other side consistent.

I would stain the door in a garage. Stain, poly, scuff with fine sandpaper, wipe off dust with tack cloth, 2nd coat of poly

not saying you're wrong, but I worked as a professional carpenter for 5 years and I was taught to always hang jambs with the door intact (if pre-hung) I've done it both ways and this way always seems easier to me. But, that's what I'm most familiar with.  :th_twocents:
Not saying you two are both wrong but I have never hung a door and never intend to. Get a professional to do it right.
My plan was to hang the door/jamb in tact, use a framing level, rubber mallet, hammer and finishing nails, and lastly some long screws to set the hinges/shims.  I dunno, watched a guy on youtube run through an entire install, didn't observe anything too tricky but i guess we'll see.

Should work fine. I personally wouldn't use screws on an interior door though

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
What about screws through the hinge shims then what through the stop side?  Do they make 4 inch finishing nails?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 07, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
What about screws through the hinge shims then what through the stop side?  Do they make 4 inch finishing nails?

Oh yeah, sorry put screws through the hinges into the framing.

You shouldn't need screws through the top, I guess if the gap is too large then use one screw to prevent sagging. Your gap shouldn't be too big for a larger finishing nail though.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 09, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
I cannot recommend installing a fence on your own unless you have like 4 or 5 bros. It's miserable if you don't have flat land.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 09, 2014, 11:48:52 PM »
I broke one of the heads and the riser to said head on my sprinkler system mowing and fixed it today. To get the old broken riser out of the supply line I bought a tool called a nipple extractor. :lol:
emaw

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 10, 2014, 12:26:14 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwjZJxaxoDQ

Doors really aren't that bad if you take your time.  KC has you on the right track.  When you shim, I'm a stickler for having wedge shims from opposing sides.  In the video I posted at one point he puts the two shims in from the same side.  This vid does a nice job showing the set up for the molding on the reveal. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
I'm oscar Willis, my yard is an asteroid, and this is Armageddon.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 10, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
hire it out. It took me the entire day on Saturday just to mark and dig (auger) the posts (28). I have a huge slope on one area of the lawn and it was a rough ridin' nightmare trying to get them lined up. Yesterday leveled and set the posts, then poured the concrete. Now I wait. The hard part is done tho. Now just rails and pickets. Not sure it was worth the money I saved.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 10, 2014, 07:21:12 PM »
Good God this was horrible. My yard is solid clay starting 8" down. It was honest to god Armageddon and oscar Willis still dies

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
What about vinyl coated chain link? Anyone have this? Wife wants chain link fence for new dog but I don't like the look of chain link.  Seems like it could be a good compromise?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 10, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
Sounds like it still looks like chain link and is not a compromise.