Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135232 times)

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »
I have a whole house fan.  I think it's it pretty great.  The wife however hates the crap out of it.  She says it's too loud. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
I have a whole house fan.  I think it's it pretty great.  The wife however hates the crap out of it.  She says it's too loud.

Are you ever like "hello pot" ?

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »

Are you ever like "hello pot" ?

:cheers:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2014, 03:14:39 PM »
The first sign to me that something wasn't right was when somebody said it would cost about $2G for an attic fan. I was like, "Hire me, I'll do it for that!"

I think you could put a real attic fan in for about $150 in a couple of hours.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
The first sign to me that something wasn't right was when somebody said it would cost about $2G for an attic fan. I was like, "Hire me, I'll do it for that!"

Probably.  The guy I used to work for when building new homes would charge $500 for the fan and $500 to frame/wire it in a new home with no rework required.  That was over a decade ago and didn't require working in an already finished home.  That is why I padded that up to 1.5-2k.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »

Probably.  The guy I used to work for when building new homes would charge $500 for the fan and $500 to frame/wire it in a new home with no rework required.  That was over a decade ago and didn't require working in an already finished home.  That is why I padded that up to 1.5-2k.
Is that for a whole house fan? I was referring to an attic fan. Maybe I was way off on an attic fan? :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:04 PM »

Is that for a whole house fan? I was referring to an attic fan. Maybe I was way off on an attic fan? :dunno:

Correct.  In that same amt of time, I have never once been on a project that installed what is apparently an actual attic fan.  Only whole house fans.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »
my project for the day, installing a new water saving toilet in the guest bathroom

whenever i finish i will attempt to convince the wife that the money i saved by not hiring a plumber belongs to my new craft beer habit

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »
and by habit i mean hobby, i don't need no stinking intervention, yet

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
The wax ring is the most important part
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »
The wax ring is the most important part

yes, and cleaning the old wax ring off is by far the most disturbing part

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »

toilet project done, time to go into the attic to do some re-wiring.  that is after a short beer break

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Toilet was running on and off for a few days so I went to lowes and bought a new rubber ring flappy thing that covers the hole in the toilet, replaced the old one with it in about 2 min.  Toilet is now operating perfectly.  My goodness what a rush.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
Toilet was running on and off for a few days so I went to lowes and bought a new rubber ring flappy thing that covers the hole in the toilet, replaced the old one with it in about 2 min.  Toilet is now operating perfectly.  My goodness what a rush.

It's amazing how doing little crap like this can really elevate your status in the household, in my experience. 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2014, 10:18:37 AM »

this was one of my first "big projects" when i first bought our home.  talk about liberating.  could hardly keep the Mrs off of me when she saw me working up a sweat with that flapper.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
The other night I fixed (replaced all seals and springs) a leaky single handle kitchen seal faucet while cooking dinner, was waiting for a cream sauce to reduce anyway.  Cook dinner and fix a leaky faucet?  ZZZZIIIIPPP!!!!!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
your significant other will get used to this new found handymaness.  For instance I changed out my sump pump, all of the piping, and back up power wiring for it this weekend. Basically ensuring my basement never becomes Iowa State's campus.

CNSWife: "that's nice.   Thanks for doing that."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
The other night I fixed (replaced all seals and springs) a leaky single handle kitchen seal faucet while cooking dinner, was waiting for a cream sauce to reduce anyway.  Cook dinner and fix a leaky faucet?  ZZZZIIIIPPP!!!!!
oh man! I did my sump pump while gumbo was simmering.
We may need a new thread for handyman cooking combo

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
i just replaced all the gutter hangers on the back side of my house without falling off (was only at a 1, for anxiety control).  let's see what 2015 has in store!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
i just replaced all the gutter hangers on the back side of my house without falling off (was only at a 1, for anxiety control).  let's see what 2015 has in store!

Sounds like you rough ridin' nailed it bro.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »
your significant other will get used to this new found handymaness.  For instance I changed out my sump pump, all of the piping, and back up power wiring for it this weekend. Basically ensuring my basement never becomes Iowa State's campus.

bought, gutted, and remodeled our entire house this spring summer. all new plumbing, electrical, 90% of walls replaced. new kitchen, two new bathrooms. did it all myself (ex-contractor) saved us approx 50k.

kcfdwife: how much longer will this take? it can't be that hard :bang:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »
that sounds rewardingly awful

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2014, 11:17:02 PM »
Installed some child locks on the knife drawer and cleaning supplies door. So I could basically build a house by myself if I wanted.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2014, 06:45:25 AM »

bought, gutted, and remodeled our entire house this spring summer. all new plumbing, electrical, 90% of walls replaced. new kitchen, two new bathrooms. did it all myself (ex-contractor) saved us approx 50k.

kcfdwife: how much longer will this take? it can't be that hard :bang:

It's okay to choke her out a little bit for this. 

Sent using Tapatalk Elite on iPhone 6

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2014, 06:51:06 AM »
Planning on removing a tree (at least 3" diameter) from the front yard this weekend. Might even clean out the gutters if it doesn't rain anymore and muck everything up.