Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4055184 times)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29650 on: November 30, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
I guess I don't watch much tv compared to you guys? I still have every channel known to man, but I'd consider streaming.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29651 on: November 30, 2016, 12:23:12 PM »
I love cable. having 40 different places to go to watch crap seems like a massive PITA and not worth it. I just tell cox to throw in everything and let god sort them out.

The operating systems inside of the boxes that will play your apps (i.e. Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, etc.) will probably be able to eventually sort a lot of that out for you.

Roku already has something kind of like it in their system today.  You search what you want to watch, and it will find the app that has it and if you need to pay for it or if the service streams it for free.

For example, if you wanted to watch a movie, you search for it on Roku, then it will tell you if Netflix has it for free or if Vudu will charge you $1.99 to watch it.

google fiber boxes do that now

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29652 on: November 30, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »
i would bet  that 99% of "streamers"/cord cutters are also android people

:lol:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29653 on: November 30, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
Gfib is pfg (pretty rough ridin' good)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29654 on: November 30, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-another-555-000-subscribers-per-nielsen-112916

I'll just leave this here.

I literally stopped reading after the lede because that 600,000 number was debunked. I also am confused why he feels this is an ESPN issue, as if he doesn't work for a competitor with an inferior product. It's like someone working for Godfather's Pizza mocking Pizza Hut because people are eating less pizza.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29655 on: November 30, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
DirecTV Now is AT&T's new streaming service and carries ESPN. . .not sure if this is a sign of what's to come from other providers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29656 on: November 30, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
That launched today

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29657 on: November 30, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
Cable is worth it just for the convenience and consistent quality of picture.

Blame me for cable companies being able to price gouge. I don't care, I'll pay.

There's a lot more of us than them. My Directv bill is north of $150. I'd give up internet before I'd give up my Directv. I find it odd that people wig out about the number of channels, I watch stuff in each channel category including the Spanish language tier.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29658 on: November 30, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »
I barely watch TV anymore.  Too busy crushing brews,  slayin' hoes,  and running marathons.  :Carl:
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29659 on: November 30, 2016, 01:27:54 PM »
Cable is worth it just for the convenience and consistent quality of picture.

Blame me for cable companies being able to price gouge. I don't care, I'll pay.

There's a lot more of us than them. My Directv bill is north of $150. I'd give up internet before I'd give up my Directv. I find it odd that people wig out about the number of channels, I watch stuff in each channel category including the Spanish language tier.

My cable sub is good for four things:

My free HBO for three years gets me access to HBO Go for free, so I watch that all of the time.  Saves me a couple hundred a year from subscribing to HBO Now.

My sub gets me access to content on all of the network apps on my Apple TV.  The kids feast on PBS Kids, Disney Junior/Channel/XD. 

My cable sub gets me access for WatchESPN and FS Go, which is where I watch 90% of my sports (iPad or phone).

My wife watches shows on HGTV and other channels that she records.

Essentially, my AT&T bill is one umbrella payment that prevents me from spending money on subscriptions outside of Netflix.  Otherwise, I watch a handful of hours each week of live TV (usually news), and everything else is either on DVR or played through an app on Apple TV that uses my sub for access.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29660 on: November 30, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »
I barely watch TV anymore.  Too busy crushing brews,  slayin' hoes,  and running marathons.  :Carl:

I'm the same, except for the 3rd part. That time is spent brunching, which also falls into the first two categories.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29661 on: November 30, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »

:sdeek:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #29662 on: November 30, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
Flipping around to multiple games on a Saturday afternoon is one of my life's great pleasures and cable/sat is the best way to do it.  I guess you could come somewhat close to replicating that with 3 or 4 streaming devices but it would still be janky.
pretty easy on sling. unless you are an idiot

no it sucks ass.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29663 on: November 30, 2016, 02:18:14 PM »
You guys need to get outside more often. Sheesh.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29664 on: November 30, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-another-555-000-subscribers-per-nielsen-112916

I literally stopped reading after the lede because that 600,000 number was debunked. I also am confused why he feels this is an ESPN issue, as if he doesn't work for a competitor with an inferior product. It's like someone working for Godfather's Pizza mocking Pizza Hut because people are eating less pizza.

You're right, sort of. Found this write up. http://fortune.com/2016/10/31/espn-subscribers/ Whether or not it's the right number is one thing, but they still have to be bleeding. My guess is he is bringing it up as a market wide issue, and people better get their crap together? No idea.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29665 on: November 30, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »
People who cord cut as a way to save money on the consumption of several media sources are huge dorks. It's basically the digital equivalent of extreme couponing.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29666 on: November 30, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »

You're right, sort of. Found this write up. http://fortune.com/2016/10/31/espn-subscribers/ Whether or not it's the right number is one thing, but they still have to be bleeding. My guess is he is bringing it up as a market wide issue, and people better get their crap together? No idea.

He's absolutely made this an ESPN thing, all of the times he does this he never mentions FS1 or the industry. I don't know what they can do to "get their crap together." They are still offering a product their base wants. Framing this as "ESPN losing subscribers" is total bullshit anyway. It isn't like we have went to a la carte and people are dropping ESPN for other sports programming. This is people dropping cable, the entire industry is changing just like it did in the 80s and then again in the 90s, the entire conversation as it is currently framed is somewhat disingenuous.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29667 on: December 01, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
Bouncing around roku's watchespn and fsgo apps on Saturdays is really easy.   

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29668 on: December 01, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
had a Roku for 7-8 years at least

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29669 on: December 01, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
a little hot tip for you cool guys:  have watchespn or fsgo on the boobtube and put the other on your computer for maximum consumption and efficiency.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29670 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »
Who uses roku.  Wtf

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29671 on: December 01, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
a little hot tip for you cool guys:  have watchespn or fsgo on the boobtube and put the other on your computer for maximum consumption and efficiency.

A very common thing for me is to have a Fox game on TV, a game on FS Go on my iPad, and then the four box screen on my laptop for WatchESPN.

It's pretty awesome, especially in the non-con.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29672 on: December 01, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
Who uses roku.  Wtf
roku is the best at adding new apps and has the most

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29673 on: December 01, 2016, 11:22:04 AM »

He's absolutely made this an ESPN thing, all of the times he does this he never mentions FS1 or the industry. I don't know what they can do to "get their crap together." They are still offering a product their base wants. Framing this as "ESPN losing subscribers" is total bullshit anyway. It isn't like we have went to a la carte and people are dropping ESPN for other sports programming. This is people dropping cable, the entire industry is changing just like it did in the 80s and then again in the 90s, the entire conversation as it is currently framed is somewhat disingenuous.
I agree Clay is an agenda driven [redacted] but he is right that ESPN is by far the most invested in the bundle system with all the long term rights deals. 

I remember 5 or 6 years ago when NBC and Fox started their cable channels and CBS seemed to be ramping theirs up that we would going to get some remarkable bidding wars but it never happened.  Did the execs at other places see the cord cutting/bundle falling apart coming or did they just get lucky? 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29674 on: December 01, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »

I agree Clay is an agenda driven [redacted] but he is right that ESPN is by far the most invested in the bundle system with all the long term rights deals. 

I remember 5 or 6 years ago when NBC and Fox started their cable channels and CBS seemed to be ramping theirs up that we would going to get some remarkable bidding wars but it never happened.  Did the execs at other places see the cord cutting/bundle falling apart coming or did they just get lucky?

They're the most invested in the bundle system because they pretty much created it. Cable and satellite packaging is what it is today because of ESPN, HBO, MTV, and Ted Turner. If the bundling got blown up tomorrow ESPN would still far and away be the leaders in the industry because they have the best media contracts and streaming technology. For all of the money news corp has they've done little to nothing to disrupt ESPN's market share.