Author Topic: Rental cars  (Read 4850 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Rental cars
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »
going to the Rockies this summer for a family reunion type trip, plan on flying into Denver, didn't want to drive 10 hours.  looking for rental cars because we're driving out into the mountains, and rental cars out of the airport are all over like $70/day for the most basic AF compact POS car.  Anyone know why rentals are so expensive there?  Other options?  Really don't want to drive 10 hours, but also don't want to pay $500 for a rental car.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Rental cars
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »
going to the Rockies this summer for a family reunion type trip, plan on flying into Denver, didn't want to drive 10 hours.  looking for rental cars because we're driving out into the mountains, and rental cars out of the airport are all over like $70/day for the most basic AF compact POS car.  Anyone know why rentals are so expensive there?  Other options?  Really don't want to drive 10 hours, but also don't want to pay $500 for a rental car.

Try renting a car from Denver, but not out of the airport. If they won't come pick you up, you could just take Uber to the rental company.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:23:43 AM »
Tax and spend liberals is my official guess
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:22 AM »
Fly to Grand Junction or Aspen or something like that.  You don't want to be going back to Denver on a Sunday afternoon.  You can get pickups (single cab) from Uhaul cheaper but you end up losing if you drive a lot of miles.  Last summer we got a mid-size sedan out of Denver Intl, picked up Friday night, dropped off Sunday afternoon, for $130 out the door. That doesn't seem too bad?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »

Try renting a car from Denver, but not out of the airport. If they won't come pick you up, you could just take Uber to the rental company.

those are a little cheaper, but not sure if worth the hassle of having to uber to the rental place, think you won't end up saving much to be worth it.  says there's unusually high demand in Denver during the dates I need it, wtf

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
What are the dates?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:37:16 AM »
i rented in den about a month ago, the price was fine.  you're maybe just hitting a seasonal rape rate or something.

i also rented pretty last minute.  you could recheck with a few days to go and see if you can get a better rate.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
i rented in den about a month ago, the price was fine.  you're maybe just hitting a seasonal rape rate or something.

i also rented pretty last minute.  you could recheck with a few days to go and see if you can get a better rate.

yeah, if I was going in the next week or two it wouldn't be that bad, for some reason the middle of july is like over twice as much everywhere.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »
yeah sounds like you're trying to rent it out to far in advance.. also make sure through a credit card or your insurance company you have a use of non owned car on one of them.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 09:44:43 AM »
Weird that the best time to be in the mountains is the most expensive time to rent a car.   :confused:

Online HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
you should check if your employer has a rental car discount code you can use

also, check this out:
https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/bridge/corp/coupons/leisure_pass.html

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
a $9 day pass will get you from DIA to Union Station on the new light rail, if rental rates are cheaper away from the airport.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »
you should check if your employer has a rental car discount code you can use

ya

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
buy Hertz free rental certificates off ebay for about $25-35/day.  All you pay are the taxes.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 10:37:43 AM »

yeah, if I was going in the next week or two it wouldn't be that bad, for some reason the middle of july is like over twice as much everywhere.
my experience has been you usually get the best rates around 10 days to 3 days before the pickup date and then the last 48 hours it goes the other way. 

This is in FL but I usually reserve the best deal on the minimum acceptable size vehicle (the midsize SUVs are typically the best 3 months out for some reason) when I buy the plane tickets and then start checking 2 weeks away for a better deal as you can always cancel the higher $ reservation.

My other protip is make sure you join whatever free express or gold club you need to skip the counter, typically there is a guy in the garage telling you where to get your car and if he sees you have a family he might get you a bigger vehicle than you reserved. My last trip with the kids at FLL I reserved a full size and the guy sent to an isle with the loaded up Caravan that had a DVD and I still paid the same price.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »
buy Hertz free rental certificates off ebay for about $25-35/day.  All you pay are the taxes.

Non-transferable?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »

Non-transferable?

technically, but they get used all the time.   I've sold 19 this year.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »

Non-transferable?

Would I have to join their rewards program or something? 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »

Non-transferable?

you probably would want to sign up, but it's free.   But not required.  The next batch expires 6/30, then 9/30 after that for most of them.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
this seems like a lot of work to avoid just driving there yourself

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »

Non-transferable?

you probably would want to sign up, but it's free.   But not required.  The next batch expires 6/30, then 9/30 after that for most of them.

Can I get a SUV or pickup?  Up charge?  I need 5 or 6 days early September. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »

Non-transferable?

compact through premium

here's an example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-week-7-days-Hertz-Reward-Program-Free-Day-Coupons-Certificates-Vouchers-/262305628808?hash=item3d12a24288:g:DoIAAMXQVT9Sp6Bz

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »

Non-transferable?

I assume like with any rental you can pay the fee to upgrade, but I've not done it while using one.   I'm not too picky about rental cars so long as I get full size or above.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
so it's $250 for a 7-day rental, plus $19 shipping, plus all the normal taxes, which is like $20/day?? wow what a bargain

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
wacky is on vacation, mocat

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.