Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4615482 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #31350 on: December 11, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »
Just how big of a window do the Royals have with their core nucleus of players?
camel passing through the eye of a needle type situation here

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31351 on: December 11, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
Jandel Gustave added through Rule 5.  Add another flamethrower to the pen.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31352 on: December 11, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »
Jandel Gustave added through Rule 5.  Add another flamethrower to the pen.

Interesting move. The Astros actually picked him in the 5 from the Red Sox, then traded him to KC. The draft restriction--that Gustave must be on the drafting team's 25-man roster for the entire upcoming regular season--transfers from the Astros to KC. So, if we don't keep him on the ML roster the entire season, he must be offered back to the team from which he was drafted--the BoSox--at half the draft purchase price.

I think that means it would cost the Royals $25k if they don't keep him on the ML roster and the Sox want him back. So KC doesn't break its bank if he doesn't work out.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31353 on: December 11, 2014, 11:12:51 PM »
the royals should have signed mccarthy, 4/48 is a fair price for him.  and i don't get morales.  not very happy today.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31354 on: December 11, 2014, 11:16:53 PM »
eff me, what a fat POS who is worse than even bad Billy
This organization has earned our patience, mocat.

They played in the World Series in October moron. The WORLD SERIES. Yes that buys a bit of non-complaining equity with people who's wildest dreams were a wild card birth.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31355 on: December 11, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »

They played in the World Series in October moron. The WORLD SERIES. Yes that buys a bit of non-complaining equity with people who's wildest dreams were a wild card birth.

Dayton said today that the Royals planted the seeds for some post-Winter Meetings deals and signings and strongly implied that there is more to come this winter. Hope so.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31356 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »
I hope so too bones129 (good royals poster). I hope so too. The behavior in this thread outside of a few bright people is disappointing.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31357 on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:59 AM »

If your wildest dreams for the royals was a wild card berth two years after the shields trade then you have a losery attitude. 

The Royals had a great season last year, but don't use it as a justification for all sins past and present.  Life doesn't stop just because the Roy's had an amazing run.

You get to keep those memories, no one can take them from you.  It really happened.  So take them out of your arms, set them on the mantle and join us in the kitchen for hot stove season.  You look like a weirdo with gold gloves and pennant and your glossy jacket and blood on your beard.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31358 on: December 12, 2014, 06:34:37 AM »
Anything is better than DH by committee, so I am ok with this.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31359 on: December 12, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »

My wildest dreams were winning a world series and they failed to do that. It was a really nice season but GMAFB with this crap. Let's hope something good comes out of the winter meetings because right now it looks like the Royals are getting a little bit worse.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31360 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »
Rage, gtfo of this thread.  No one likes you.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31361 on: December 12, 2014, 10:43:23 AM »
Sorry, CF3, these dumbasses don't deserve you.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #31362 on: December 12, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
I feel like I've been very level headed as far as my attitude with our offseason moves (or lack thereof) goes, but you could make the case that we're the 3rd or 4th best team in the AL Central right now. That's what's disappointing to me. I wasn't expecting a huge splash, and Morales could turn into a nice pickup, but 4/48 for McCarthy would have been doable and I think he would have really succeeded in Kansas City.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31363 on: December 12, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »
Some of you seem to be forgetting that James and Billy had relatively little to do with the postseason run. If the Royals get the Hosmer, Moose, Cain, Ventura, and HDH of the playoffs all season (which they're all very capable of btw) the Royals are a very good team.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31364 on: December 12, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Anything is better than DH by committee, so I am ok with this.

i really wanted a dh by committee, that's why i'm a bit annoyed.  if we're going to have a set dh who can't do anything else, this guy seems like a pretty decent value proposition.

not getting mccarthy is pissing me off about 10x more.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31365 on: December 12, 2014, 12:37:38 PM »
Shut up Kat Kid. You absolutely do not get to tell me how to be a fan.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31366 on: December 12, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Shut up Kat Kid. You absolutely do not get to tell me how to be a fan.

he needs to take your glossy jacket out of his GD mouth

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #31367 on: December 12, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »
Some of you seem to be forgetting that James and Billy had relatively little to do with the postseason run. If the Royals get the Hosmer, Moose, Cain, Ventura, and HDH of the playoffs all season (which they're all very capable of btw) the Royals are a very good team.
Billy was huge in the postseason, dork. He made me forget how shitty he was in the regular season.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31368 on: December 12, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »

You think the Royals would have been a postseason team last year without Shields throwing 227 innings with a 3.21 ERA?

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31369 on: December 12, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
Billy was huge in the postseason, dork. He made me forget how shitty he was in the regular season.

What part was huge? His .262 average? His 3 total XBH? Come on Wacky, compared to the guys I listed he had little to do with the run.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31370 on: December 12, 2014, 01:16:53 PM »

You think the Royals would have been a postseason team last year without Shields throwing 227 innings with a 3.21 ERA?

No, but what does that have to do with my post?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31371 on: December 12, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »

Everything, really.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31372 on: December 12, 2014, 01:21:38 PM »

Everything, really.

So Shields didn't suck in playoffs and the guys I listed weren't studs? :sdeek:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31373 on: December 12, 2014, 01:25:25 PM »

Everything, really.

So Shields didn't suck in playoffs and the guys I listed weren't studs? :sdeek:

Shields had more to do with the team being in the playoffs than the guys you listed (with the exception of HDH). A baseball season is very long, and while having players who can perform in the postseason is very important, it only really matters when you make the postseason. The Royals don't need Shields, but then do need to find somebody who can throw more than 200 innings with an ERA under 4. That elite bullpen won't look nearly as elite without that.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31374 on: December 12, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
Stop it idiots. Without Shields last year, we don't make the playoffs. Without Billy, we don't win the Wild Card game, and the run lasts about 3 hours. But that doesn't mean this team can't get back to the playoffs without them. The production can be found other places and we can absolutely make it back to the playoffs.