Author Topic: It's Patterson!  (Read 18340 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: It's Patterson!
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2011, 11:29:03 PM »
Anyway, reading this thread, it's interesting because we have this exact same 'theory' in regards to our coaching search of 07..

Before the SEC championship Herbstreit announced that we had hired Les Miles from LSU live on College Gameday.. Well that led to LSU announcing a press conference later that day and Les saying how he was planning on staying and coaching LSU in the NC game (and a week later a big extension and us hiring Rich Rod)..

The story goes that we had all but hired Miles (had a contract agreed upon in principle and it was basically a done deal for the next day) but Herbie who apparently found out through Desmond (fellow CollegeGamday'er and a member of the Search Committee) went public with before everyone wanted it to be public to sabotage us and ruin it or whatever.. Very similar to your situation, though I tend to think our story at least is exaggerated or just plain bullshit..

Speaking of which, you guys should totally hire Rich Rod, he doesn't suck nearly as bad as we made it seem, and I think he'd be perfect for a place like KSU..

HOLY crap I KNOW! 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2011, 11:29:33 PM »
Desmond fitzgerald has a nice ring to it
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2011, 11:31:24 PM »
I think we're all in agreement that RR would be a fantastic hire.  (So long as Patterson is still mad at us.  :shakesfitz:)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2011, 11:34:51 PM »
Anyway, reading this thread, it's interesting because we have this exact same 'theory' in regards to our coaching search of 07..

Before the SEC championship Herbstreit announced that we had hired Les Miles from LSU live on College Gameday.. Well that led to LSU announcing a press conference later that day and Les saying how he was planning on staying and coaching LSU in the NC game (and a week later a big extension and us hiring Rich Rod)..

The story goes that we had all but hired Miles (had a contract agreed upon in principle and it was basically a done deal for the next day) but Herbie who apparently found out through Desmond (fellow CollegeGamday'er and a member of the Search Committee) went public with before everyone wanted it to be public to sabotage us and ruin it or whatever.. Very similar to your situation, though I tend to think our story at least is exaggerated or just plain bullshit..

Speaking of which, you guys should totally hire Rich Rod, he doesn't suck nearly as bad as we made it seem, and I think he'd be perfect for a place like KSU..

Sometimes it's unbelievable how well you fit in around here.

Offline MichiganisGood

• Maize and Blue'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »
I think we're all in agreement that RR would be a fantastic hire.  (So long as Patterson is still mad at us.  :shakesfitz:)

He really could of won at UofM but we kind of sabotaged him right from the jump.. All of our former players and 'Bo' guys wanted Miles but Lloyd did NOT (because  he got 5* Jai Eugene to decommit and commit to LSU by telling him Lloyd had Parkinsons disease :lol:) so Bill Martin settled on Rich Rod.. Well right away everyone hated him because he wasn't Miles and Lloyd hated him too (some compromise).. So as soon as it's announced our whole team (with pressure from Lloyd and the rest of the current staff) pretty much transfers or declares early for the NFL (Ryan Mallett, Justin Boren, Mario Manningham, Adrian Arrington, Alex Mitchell, and a slew of guys you've probably never heard of).. That compounded by the fact that Lloyd really stopped recruiting after the 05 season, left us pretty much with a roster full of crap, and then we were switching from super pro style never used shotgun in a decade type offense to the freaking spread option..

So right off the bat RR has to go out and recruit a bunch of guys to fit that offensive system, so he pretty much has to spend the first 2 classes on offensive players.. We have a rough ridin' walk on starting at QB for us in 08 at Michigan !! There is literally nobody left from the Carr regime players or coaches they all bailed.. So we got walk ons and Freshman/Sophs for the first 2 years and we suck.. Understandable, but it's Michigan and you can't suck no matter what the circumstances were surrounding it, so the people who hated RR from the jump really hate him now and the internal struggle just intensifies, so much so that our own people turn him into the NCAA for not properly filling out his CARA forms which log practice hours..

Year 3 rolls around and Denard becomes the starter and we finally get to see his offense and it's awesome, were pretty much unstoppable on O.. However, our defense is awful because we can't hire a decent defensive coordinator because nobody wants to attach themselves to RR when he is getting ZERO support, and we had to spend our first two classes recruiting offensive guys to run that offense.. Not to mention we sabotaged his recruiting from the jump, RR likes Juco's, well you can't get JUCO's into UofM, so that's understandable at least, but after his first class we started turning away a bunch of guys who actually qualified but were turned away by admissions because they deemed they weren't 'academically successful enough".. It just so happened that these were all 4* defensive recruits who all (except for Demar Dorsey) went onto play at other D1 schools with no issues..

Clearly, he made some mistakes and wasn't a good 'fit' but we basically sabotaged his Michigan career from the jump because he wasn't a Bo disciple.. It sucks because I really thought he could of won big here and we were starting to see that last year when he finally got his offense in place, but I was ready for him to go because it was obvious at that point it was never going to happen for him here..

I think he'd be great at KSU where there isn't nearly as much media scrutiny, and he can get JUCO's and guys from the south who aren't exactly scholars into school with no issue.. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
wow, good stuff MIG.  the fact that RR isn't our coach this very second kind of infuriates me (assuming he would take the job).  I think we set up pretty nicely for next season under a RR offense fwiw.  I know john currie reads the board so that's out there.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »
Sams running the RR offense!  :love:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 12:17:04 AM »
Sams running the RR offense!  :love:

emawboner

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
I think he'd be great at KSU where there isn't nearly as much media scrutiny, and he can get JUCO's and guys from the south who aren't exactly scholars into school with no issue.. 

He would be a fantastic hire here and is exactly the model of coach we need to be looking at whenever we look at making any hire in men's basketball or football. 

Former high-level coach who fell from grace for either personal or professional reasons and is looking for a soft place to land to get his career back on track.  Then we simply hope that he falls in love with the place and never leaves.  Repeat as necessary.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:49 AM »
If RR had the same type of kick in the pants result that Huggs did, there is no way we can pay him to much.  Premium Nike f-ball uniforms would be well worth it.  Seriously.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »

He would be a fantastic hire here and is exactly the model of coach we need to be looking at whenever we look at making any hire in men's basketball or football. 

Former high-level coach who fell from grace for either personal or professional reasons and is looking for a soft place to land to get his career back on track.  Then we simply hope that he falls in love with the place and never leaves.  Repeat as necessary.

this except don't be naive enough to think that they will fall in love with kansas state.  perfect model for us.  plenty of great coaches to pick from that fit the mold whenever the one we resurrected leaves.  

Offline MichiganisGood

• Maize and Blue'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2011, 12:27:57 AM »
wow, good stuff MIG.  the fact that RR isn't our coach this very second kind of infuriates me (assuming he would take the job).  I think we set up pretty nicely for next season under a RR offense fwiw.  I know john currie reads the board so that's out there.

The offense is awesome, and the crazy thing about it is the video game numbers we put up last year on offense was done with 1 Senior(RT Schilling) and 2 Juniors, everyone else it was their first or 2nd year starting.. Plus, we were 3-18 on FG attempts, had we even had a halfway decent kicker we probably win a couple more games and score a bunch more points..

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:54 AM »

this except don't be naive enough to think that they will fall in love with kansas state.  perfect model for us.  plenty of great coaches to pick from that fit the mold whenever the one we resurrected leaves.  
I don't think someone like RR would fall in love but its not out of the question that he would be gunshy of a big time program after getting rail roaded once before.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
Sorry if Luk'd:

Former TCU receiver sues Patterson, university and Big 12, alleging abuse and harassment

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article197923869.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:45:24 AM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
Sorry if Luk'd:

Former TCU receiver sues Patterson, university and Big 12, alleging abuse and harassment

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article197923869.html
The other player in the lawsuit may have CTE, if so, a win could cost the NCAA.  It might also hit home with our spaggite headed players.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.