Author Topic: Lost in all of this . . . the ACC just inked a new deal with ESPN . . .  (Read 1717 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
that will pay each school nearly $13 million a year for the next 12 years.

ESPN was forced to up their offer because Fox Sports Went after the ACC hard.  

1.  Airtime is running out.
2.  The ACC changed nothing, and got a much more lucrative TV deal compared to their old one.   Why??  TV sets that's why.  
3.  Fox Sports appears to be a player.  

So the Pac-10 is likely looking towards Fox Sports to make a major run at them, and by doing so wants to expand their conference.   If they get the 6 Big 12 Schools, they'll  likely have some major TV offers sitting on the table.  

Translation:  We're fracked.   The Big 12 Tier 1 contract isn't up for a number of years, only the Tier II is up next year.  

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:16:53 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
Any chance that means the ACC won't get raided and the SEC will have to look west to expand?  :crossfingers:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
Dax, in your opinion how will all of this end?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Well if anything actually does happen.

95% hello Mt. West.

5%  A miracle happens we are part of the expanded SEC.    With the new ACC TV offer that probably takes multiple ACC targets off the SEC plate, because the ACC targets are sitting pretty good in the ACC, with their Tier II TV and their own media deals . . . multiple ACC will be pulling down over $20 million a year on TV/Radio/Internet . . . a few extra million in the SEC with the added competition won't be worth it.

But hey, I understand an expanded SEC taking K-State is a pipe 95% full of dreams.   But just a couple of things to consider; both our President and our AD came to us from SEC schools.   So while I think it's a huge long shot, they could work a miracle    One thing to think about ku and to a lessor extent k-state immediately bolster SEC basketball. 

But the 95%- the leftovers join the Mt. West and it's a BCS conference . . . so as to appease the lawmakers and NCAA/BCS naysayers in the legal and political arena. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

95% hello Mt. West.

5%  A miracle happens we are part of the expanded SEC.    With the new ACC TV offer that probably takes multiple ACC targets off the SEC plate, because the ACC targets are sitting pretty good in the ACC, with their Tier II TV and their own media deals . . . multiple ACC will be pulling down over $20 million a year on TV/Radio/Internet . . . a few extra million in the SEC with the added competition won't be worth it.

But hey, I understand an expanded SEC taking K-State is a pipe 95% full of dreams.   But just a couple of things to consider; both our President and our AD came to us from SEC schools.   So while I think it's a huge long shot, they could work a miracle    One thing to think about ku and to a lessor extent k-state immediately bolster SEC basketball. 

But the 95%- the leftovers join the Mt. West and it's a BCS conference . . . so as to appease the lawmakers and NCAA/BCS naysayers in the legal and political arena. 

as long as the conf we're in is considered equal to the other conferences, we're fine. i'm just worried that it won't end up that way.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]

95% hello Mt. West.

I'd rather we just cherry pick who we want with the $80 million in buyout money or whatever would be left after the other conferences bolt.

A refugee conference would give us a shot at teams like Cincinnati and Louisville (assuming they get left out), Houston for the TV sets, and we could leave out teams like Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, etc.

Assuming the Big 12 would retain it's auto-bid for a few years while we piece this thing back together, we could level out if we just rebuild the conference.  Some of the proposed conference members of a refugee conference look better than the Big East and roughly on par with the ACC in terms of quality football, so it's not a stretch to assume we'll keep BCS status.

Hell, the BCS may say that they'll give us an auto-bid if we invite Utah so we could get them off of their ass.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I know Wyoming is a small state . . . but don't count out the monopoly of an entire state.    If it's not already, Wyoming could be the next state on the hit list for California Refugees. 

The42Yardstick

I know Wyoming is a small state . . . but don't count out the monopoly of an entire state.    If it's not already, Wyoming could be the next state on the hit list for California Refugees. 

I think they're focusing on Montana right now, but I think there's a fair number of Californians moving to Jackson Hole. Thing is, that's clear on the other side of the state, and UW's cultural reach doesn't go nearly that far. Realistically, the only city of consequence that Wyoming brings is Cheyenne, and you have to factor in that the city is also split between CSU and CU fans/grads. They really don't have all that much to offer.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Wyoming? It has the smallest population of all 50 and the university has an enrollment of like 12K. Dead smelly fish.
New Mexico is would be much better catch.
Start a conference
TCU
SMU
Houston
K-State
KU
ISU
Cincy
Louisville
New Mexico
Colorado State
Boise State
UNLV

And/or-- I'm going off the reservation here. But if you're talking expansion go the pro-sport model. Recruit schools that would be in essence new franchises. Here's a couple of schools with good academics that could bring some interesting things to the table.
Miami of Ohio
Ohio University
and
Ball State
(These MAC schools would really have to expand their football stadiums. In fact, they would have to make a commitment to become football schools, i.e. new franchises. I kind of like it because it kind of slaps back at the Big 10.)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
If we had to start over, this is what I'd do:

East:
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis

West:
BYU
Utah
TCU
Boise St.
New Mexico
Houston

Honestly, I have no use for Baylor.  One private school full of religious zombies is enough.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
If we had to start over, this is what I'd do:

East:
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis

West:
BYU
Utah
TCU
Boise St.
New Mexico
Houston

Honestly, I have no use for Baylor.  One private school full of religious zombies is enough.

This is basically what I have been hoping for if the big move happens, except trade Baylor for ISU. 

Sorry Havs.