Author Topic: Greatest football coach ku ever had or will have leaves hell hole Lawrence, KS  (Read 16909 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
. . . for Florida.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/may/21/mark-mangino-leaves-lawrence-moves-florida/

No doubt he's looking back on FBI/IRS U. and counting his $3 million dollar buyout . . . and then laughing a big belly laugh. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:19:43 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline WavetheWheat

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • SteveDave's Friend
    • View Profile
I will miss him very much and I hope Lew Perkins rots in hell for treating Mangino the way he did.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
mangino tried to bring bigtime college football to lawrence, ks.  they didn't know how to handle it and excommunicated him asap.  it almost reads like romeo and juliet, such a tragic ending to what could have been a beautiful relationship.  sad that lew hates shakespeare but he has to listen to the people who fill his collection basket (conservative blue hairs who love their basketball).

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I will miss him very much and I hope Lew Perkins rots in hell for treating Mangino the way he did.

:bs: decision by Lew
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
At least he's leaving with his chins held high, knowing he tried to save them from themselves. 

My favorite part of the story though-
"A previous version of this story incorrectly stated KU's Orange Bowl opponent."
Really?  How can you get that wrong?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Anyone with good credit want to buy his house? I bet the kitchen storage is amazing...  :excited:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Anyone with good credit want to buy his house? I bet the kitchen storage is amazing...  :excited:

But the bathroom would be pretty  :barf:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
At least he's leaving with his chins held high, knowing he tried to save them from themselves. 

My favorite part of the story though-
"A previous version of this story incorrectly stated KU's Orange Bowl opponent."
Really?  How can you get that wrong?

Chins  :lol:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
Mangino was the guy to take KU football from the depths of D-1 to a solid football program.  However, it was obvious after last season that he would never do any better than the '08 Orange Bowl season.  His refusal to implement a power running attack cost KU multiple football games.  I wish Mangino nothing but the best, but to act like KU can't or won't do better is ridiculous.  I'd imagine plenty of KU fans said the same thing about K-State football back when you guys were the worst D-1 football program in the country. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Mangino was the guy to take KU football from the depths of D-1 to a solid football program.  However, it was obvious after last season that he would never do any better than the '08 Orange Bowl season.  His refusal to implement a power running attack cost KU multiple football games.  I wish Mangino nothing but the best, but to act like KU can't or won't do better is ridiculous.  I'd imagine plenty of KU fans said the same thing about K-State football back when you guys were the worst D-1 football program in the country. 

Beems, thoughts on Gill though?  Seems like, if they could have done better like you suggest, they didn't try to very hard.  Most KU fans I know have already given up on this joker. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Seriously?  Sports Illustrated graded the recent coaching hires, and they gave Gill an 'A.'  The only guy who got a higher grade was Charlie Strong at Louisville.  Gill's got recruiting ties to the Big 12, he has experience rebuilding a football program, and he brought in a hell of a coaching staff.  You guys can look at his record at Buffalo and scoff all you want, but the bottom line is that Buffalo was the worst D-1 football program in the country before he took over.  KU had options, but Gill was the perfect fit.  There simply weren't that many other coaches out there with recruiting ties to the Big 12 and a history of building a football program.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Most KU fans I know have already given up on this joker.  

I'm shocked by this as well.  I think the last straw was the halftime drug free pledge.   I tried to do the oath, but was lost about 1/3 through just like the rest of memorial stadium.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:23:23 PM by wiley »

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
dude.  only an idiot wouldn't view Gill as A+ hire.  KU's obvious first choice

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Seriously?  Sports Illustrated graded the recent coaching hires, and they gave Gill an 'A.'  The only guy who got a higher grade was Charlie Strong at Louisville.  Gill's got recruiting ties to the Big 12, he has experience rebuilding a football program, and he brought in a hell of a coaching staff.  You guys can look at his record at Buffalo and scoff all you want, but the bottom line is that Buffalo was the worst D-1 football program in the country before he took over.  KU had options, but Gill was the perfect fit.  There simply weren't that many other coaches out there with recruiting ties to the Big 12 and a history of building a football program. who would take the job.

you're welcome

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Dont be harsh, But Would any of you EMAW'ers take mangino as our Offensive Coordinator again? No denying, the guy was a good coach. Just a tad bit over weight
EMAW

Offline JD Thundercat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Seriously?  Sports Illustrated graded the recent coaching hires, and they gave Gill an 'A.'  The only guy who got a higher grade was Charlie Strong at Louisville.  Gill's got recruiting ties to the Big 12, he has experience rebuilding a football program, and he brought in a hell of a coaching staff.  You guys can look at his record at Buffalo and scoff all you want, but the bottom line is that Buffalo was the worst D-1 football program in the country before he took over.  KU had options, but Gill was the perfect fit.  There simply weren't that many other coaches out there with recruiting ties to the Big 12 and a history of building a football program.

I gotta give you props for your consistency.  You're the ultimate spin doctor for the UK2 aren't ya? Let me ask you this, if Lew Perkins told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? Or could he sell you your own left hand?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Or could he sell you your own left hand?

I believe Lew has been doing this to most of the boosters for a number of years.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Seriously?  Sports Illustrated graded the recent coaching hires, and they gave Gill an 'A.'  The only guy who got a higher grade was Charlie Strong at Louisville.  Gill's got recruiting ties to the Big 12, he has experience rebuilding a football program, and he brought in a hell of a coaching staff.  You guys can look at his record at Buffalo and scoff all you want, but the bottom line is that Buffalo was the worst D-1 football program in the country before he took over.  KU had options, but Gill was the perfect fit.  There simply weren't that many other coaches out there with recruiting ties to the Big 12 and a history of building a football program. who would take the job.

you're welcome

Tuberville was practically begging for the job.  So were multiple other coaches.  Get real, douche.  

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/01/19/coaching.reportcard/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

Kansas (Turner Gill, Buffalo head coach): A

The former Nebraska star returns to the Big 12, where he will now go head-to-head with the Huskers. What Gill pulled off at Buffalo -- taking over the worst program in Division I-A, bar none, and leading it to a MAC title three years later -- is one of the most remarkable accomplishments of the past decade. And his ties to the Heartland should help elevate Kansas' recruiting profile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gill got the same grade as Brian Kelly at Notre Dame.  Like I said, the only coach rated higher was Charlie Strong at Louisville, who got an A+.  Eat crap, haters.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
absolute trainwreck of a hire if tubby was begging.  incredible hire for the basketball program.  seff very pleased

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
No one else wanted to coach at a school where they will always be second to the BB team.  No good FB coach likes living off of left overs.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
Well if SI said Gill was a good hire, then it must be!

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Stewart has been pimping Turner for the 2 years prior to KU hiring him.  Can't figure out why Charlie Strong got an A+ and KU was an A.  Still trying to figure out why Auburn didn't hire him.

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Dude, you are such a homer.  I came over to this site and was like, "BMW...  Jayhawk... this guy must be a serious douche."  Then I some of the mods we're like, "hey we know your first name and stuff."  Since I dug the goEMAW style, I was thinking, "well maybe I've got a bad read on this guy."  But over the last couple months I've learned a valuable lesson about trusting my instincts.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile

Dude, you are such a homer.  I came over to this site and was like, "BMW...  Jayhawk... this guy must be a serious douche."  Then I some of the mods we're like, "hey we know your first name and stuff."  Since I dug the goEMAW style, I was thinking, "well maybe I've got a bad read on this guy."  But over the last couple months I've learned a valuable lesson about trusting my instincts.

lol
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles