Author Topic: Gross football coaches you would talk yourself in to  (Read 39548 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Gross football coaches you would talk yourself in to
« Reply #275 on: November 16, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
Is kstate planning on dropping down to fcs and trying to move up again? 

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 16, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
ty dlew

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
I am way late in responding to a dlew post from yesterday but I don't think Beilema has a high ceiling because I don't think he reaches anywhere near the success he had at Wisconsin.  The Big 10 offenses he faced then were far different from what he would face in the Big 12 today.  I don't have a problem with Bielema being weird but I think he is also a generally shitty person. 

My cut off for coaches is Les Miles.  I think Les is weirder, not a shitty person, would win more than Bret, and we could definitely get him.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
Leavitt's praise comes from a couple of years where he had USF super high in the polls (#2 at one point, i think) before blowing it down the stretch.  I think his success is overstated but I can see where it comes from.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #279 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
It's primarily from beating ku at home by 3 in 2008.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 16, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »
I'm not sure how you can be gaga over Venables and meh to Brent.  Venables has a similar DC track record as Brent, but also has quality HC experience.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 16, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
I am way late in responding to a dlew post from yesterday but I don't think Beilema has a high ceiling because I don't think he reaches anywhere near the success he had at Wisconsin.  The Big 10 offenses he faced then were far different from what he would face in the Big 12 today.  I don't have a problem with Bielema being weird but I think he is also a generally shitty person. 

My cut off for coaches is Les Miles.  I think Les is weirder, not a shitty person, would win more than Bret, and we could definitely get him.
What are we hoping for?  A d-coordinator who has proven success against Big 12 offenses?  How many of those people exist? 

Venables' last defense at OU ranked 84th in total defense by the way.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 16, 2017, 12:00:03 PM »

I don't think Les would take the job, but if he's actually realistic, we couldn't possibly do better.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 16, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
The point with Venables is he is seen as a pretty strong recruiter and frankly that should be our primary focus.  We simply can't do it with old men at their last stop.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »

What are we hoping for?  A d-coordinator who has proven success against Big 12 offenses?  How many of those people exist? 

Venables' last defense at OU ranked 84th in total defense by the way.

I'm hoping for better than Les Miles or Les Miles.  I don't think Bielema is that.  I don't think he is better than more Bill either.

People also are giving him too much credit for playing in the SEC West.  There is no reason to think playing Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State would lead to any more wins than playing Bama, Auburn, and LSU this year. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »
The point with Venables is he is seen as a pretty strong recruiter and frankly that should be our primary focus.  We simply can't do it with old men at their last stop.
That's a fair point, and I agree that he would probably recruit better than Leavitt here, but BV also had the luxury of recruiting to OU and Clemson for the last 20 years.  I think it's unrealistic to think he could recruit at that level at K-State.

Recruiting is obviously important, but given K-State's inherent recruiting limitations (i.e. i don't foresee us ever being a top 10 recruiting destination), player development is also a huge factor. 

BV is still my number 1, but aside from their age difference (which is what, 10 years?) and the assumed recruiting benefits of BV, their experience/accomplishments are basically a wash. 

All I'm saying here is that if we were to fall-back to Leavitt, we're still getting a very solid coach.  We could do a lot worse.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
I'd agree their actual track records are a wash.  The perception of getting one or the other is vastly different.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
Leavitt is not a complete disaster, but it is an extremely meh hire.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
And the concept that our admin went out and struck a deal with him for that much is terrifying.  It's Ron prince meets oscar Weber in the stupid hire checklist

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »
BV is my #1. At the same time, I have concerns. What kind of adult person needs to have someone else physically restrain them because they cannot control themselves while they are doing their job? SERIOUSLY???

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 16, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »
BV is my #1. At the same time, I have concerns. What kind of adult person needs to have someone else physically restrain them because they cannot control themselves while they are doing their job? SERIOUSLY???

Bo Pelini was a 9 win a season coach. Mangino had some, uh, self-control issues....I mean I just don't see it as that relevant.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »
I don’t care about the perception of the hire.  I care about getting a guy in here who can win a lot of games for us, and I think Leavitt would do that.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
I don’t care about the perception of the hire.  I care about getting a guy in here who can win a lot of games for us, and I think Leavitt would do that.

It's not how you feel it's how you look

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 16, 2017, 12:51:38 PM »

That is literally what almost everyone is talking about. No one thinks a "splash" hire is only good because of media.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »

I don't think Les would take the job, but if he's actually realistic, we couldn't possibly do better.
Why not, he's looking and at this point will take any HC job that pays.  He used to be OSU's coach before he went to LSU.  So he knows how to win in the Big XII.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:18 PM »

That is literally what almost everyone is talking about. No one thinks a "splash" hire is only good because of media.
I was responding to lsoc who specifically stated the difference between JL and BV was perception.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
And Leavitt as interim would have been great for K-State football and great for Bill IMO. He looks dumb now going out and that is sad to me.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »
The old goat wants his son to make millions the easy way.  I'm sure the contract will pay Sean close to what dad is making.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 16, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
And Leavitt as interim would have been great for K-State football and great for Bill IMO. He looks dumb now going out and that is sad to me.

A HCIW made a ton of sense for the situation. Was the best argument in favor of the entire deal.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
Perhaps not surprisingly, I am really glad we didn't lock into some dumb HCIW with Leavitt.  He's not a good enough or in demand enough coach to merit that kind of leverage over KSU.

If Leavitt wasn't from the Snyder coaching tree (which has essentially all but vanished), I doubt we'd look twice at him.