Author Topic: Wichita State 1970  (Read 3191 times)

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Wichita State 1970
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2020, 02:25:05 PM »
From what I remember of the football revival attempts there was one in mid 00’s that was never more than some talking heads trying to tell people it would be easy. Then early/mid 10’s the Uni prez had a new helmet designed or given to him and made some “I’d love to be the one to bring back football” type comments. But basically sounds like he had it looked into financially and basically said “lolz, jk”

The Cessna tear down doesn’t mean much really when it comes to if they could ever restart the program. Anyone with much knowledge of D1 athletic facilities knew that they needed to build a new stadium or basically a complete remodel of Cessna to be a viable stadium for D1 football. If they ever make a true effort to bring back football I’d expect to hear about a 12-15k seat stadium going in up at the 29th and Oliver region

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »
From what I remember of the football revival attempts there was one in mid 00’s that was never more than some talking heads trying to tell people it would be easy. Then early/mid 10’s the Uni prez had a new helmet designed or given to him and made some “I’d love to be the one to bring back football” type comments. But basically sounds like he had it looked into financially and basically said “lolz, jk”

The Cessna tear down doesn’t mean much really when it comes to if they could ever restart the program. Anyone with much knowledge of D1 athletic facilities knew that they needed to build a new stadium or basically a complete remodel of Cessna to be a viable stadium for D1 football. If they ever make a true effort to bring back football I’d expect to hear about a 12-15k seat stadium going in up at the 29th and Oliver region

That's what they're building in place of Cessna. To me the tear down makes football in the future more of a possibility, not less. The facility they are building is similar to what their potential peers already has. The scope of work needed to make the facility a non scholarship D1 or FCS program is now just limited to some locker room and weight room work.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »

That's what they're building in place of Cessna. To me the tear down makes football in the future more of a possibility, not less. The facility they are building is similar to what their potential peers already has. The scope of work needed to make the facility a non scholarship D1 or FCS program is now just limited to some locker room and weight room work.

:thumbs:

I don’t hear the news out of Wichita much anymore so wasn’t sure what the plans were for the replacement. Locker rooms and weight room were definitely the biggest needs, the “guts” of Cessna were barely above condemning and they definitely don’t have space in Koch. The AT facility over there is big enough and nice enough it could’ve worked for football in a pinch but wouldn’t have been a long term option.