Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106246 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #425 on: October 28, 2017, 08:45:58 PM »
Not topical, but props to Dimel for continuing to go with what works regarding Barnes in the wildcat.

Congrats to him for kinda a little bit doing his job for once
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:50:07 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

The Big Train

« Reply #426 on: October 28, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
Man [you] has some really bad takes ITT

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 28, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »
Ain't said crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 28, 2017, 09:33:54 PM »
Shhhhiiittt

The Big Train

« Reply #429 on: October 28, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
:lol:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »
Man [you] has some really bad takes ITT

Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »
I love that this happens.. I mean I get it.. but I love playing coy with it

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
Chignon should've waited until April fools day

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »
No when did we start to add features?  I mean it's not like you don't see it when you quote it.  Are there any fresh emojis?
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 29, 2017, 12:01:01 AM »
This is absolutely by far the WORST coaching decision we will have in this thread.  We gave them a free shot at the end zone because we were too rough ridin' stupid to call timeout with 40 seconds left.

I zoned out and/or was changing laundry or something. What exactly happened? Plz include setup, our coaches' dumb expressions, and everything else for posterity. tia.

They had a 4th down with about 40 seconds left. Our coaches didn't call timeout, so they were able to burn clock and take a free shot at the end zone instead of punting.

There was absolutely zero chance they would have punted if we called a timeout there. If we did call a timeout they would have only needed to pick up the first down to keep the half going. Not calling a time out was 100% the right call.

Even if it isn't what [you] would have done, you absolutely have to be able to see the logic at not calling the timeout there.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 29, 2017, 12:05:10 AM »
Getting stuffed there was a pretty big fail.

For sure. The problem with the forth down call was the third down call getting stuffed. It seems the only play we run under center now is the play we ran on third down. There are a million plays we can run from under center with three guys in the backfield, apparently not in this offense.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »
This is absolutely by far the WORST coaching decision we will have in this thread.  We gave them a free shot at the end zone because we were too rough ridin' stupid to call timeout with 40 seconds left.

I zoned out and/or was changing laundry or something. What exactly happened? Plz include setup, our coaches' dumb expressions, and everything else for posterity. tia.

They had a 4th down with about 40 seconds left. Our coaches didn't call timeout, so they were able to burn clock and take a free shot at the end zone instead of punting.

There was absolutely zero chance they would have punted if we called a timeout there. If we did call a timeout they would have only needed to pick up the first down to keep the half going. Not calling a time out was 100% the right call.

Even if it isn't what [you] would have done, you absolutely have to be able to see the logic at not calling the timeout there.

Game plan that out a bit for me because I don't see that playing out that way.

They were at 4th and 14 at our 39 (the 3rd down was a 4 yrd loss/sack) with about a minute left. 

KU is deep on the yards and hasn't shown that much explosiveness (lets say plays over 15 yards).  If KSU takes the time out and leaves I think 45 seconds for 4th down KU can either punt and pin KSU deep which assuredly will mean Bill takes a knee, even if they get a touchback.  The other scenario is that they make a deep play miss the connection and it functionally serves the same as giving KSU another possession not really far from the average starting position that KSU has started with in the half it seems.  Best case for them is the deep pass working and it's a first down or maybe touchdown.  I think our defense has been the strongest unit to this point and I would trust them to keep KU to a play <14 yards and we get a possession with one or two shots from mid field.  It just seems like there is much more upside for KSU compared to the risk.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 29, 2017, 01:39:32 AM »

It just seems like there is much more upside for KSU compared to the risk.
I don't need to argue what KU would have or should have done, the point is there is no correct answer so the decision doesn't belong in the thread. If we did call timeout and they went for it and got the first down then people would have freaked out about not letting the time run out.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2017, 02:23:05 AM »

It just seems like there is much more upside for KSU compared to the risk.
I don't need to argue what KU would have or should have done, the point is there is no correct answer so the decision doesn't belong in the thread. If we did call timeout and they went for it and got the first down then people would have freaked out about not letting the time run out.

I really don't agree.  With the way our offense has been struggling we need to manufacture possessions anyway we can.  I see, and appreciate, your point that fans would freak out either way.  I just think the smarter play, fans be damned, would have been to try and get our offense one more possession with a minute left and 2 timeouts from midfield.  Seems like it could be relatively possible to get our sure-footed kicker in range at the least. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2017, 06:33:32 AM »
KU had shown a lot more explosiveness than our offense at that point.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 29, 2017, 07:20:47 AM »

Game plan that out a bit for me because I don't see that playing out that way.

They were at 4th and 14 at our 39 (the 3rd down was a 4 yrd loss/sack) with about a minute left. 

KU is deep on the yards and hasn't shown that much explosiveness (lets say plays over 15 yards).  If KSU takes the time out and leaves I think 45 seconds for 4th down KU can either punt and pin KSU deep which assuredly will mean Bill takes a knee, even if they get a touchback.  The other scenario is that they make a deep play miss the connection and it functionally serves the same as giving KSU another possession not really far from the average starting position that KSU has started with in the half it seems.  Best case for them is the deep pass working and it's a first down or maybe touchdown.  I think our defense has been the strongest unit to this point and I would trust them to keep KU to a play <14 yards and we get a possession with one or two shots from mid field.  It just seems like there is much more upside for KSU compared to the risk.

Sorry man, MIR has spoken and said it was ”100% the right call.” :lol:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:31:38 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #441 on: October 29, 2017, 08:28:53 AM »

No rough ridin' way they go for it in 4th and 14 and risk giving us the ball at midfield. Not calling a TO was unequivocally the wrong call.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 29, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
You guys are forgetting that Delton was done at that point and Sky had not played yet.  Bill didn't want the ball.  He succeeded.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 29, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
So give them a free shot at the endzone (which they almost converted)? C'mon, no amount of cynicism can overcome the stupidity that was not calling a TO.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 29, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »
excellent point by my guy tdaver here.

And I know this is a pointless hypothetical, but even if Delton hadn’t just gotten sketti brain’d, do we really think our coaches would’ve done anything differently? I don’t. (Based entirely off of now years of clock mismanagement/WTF time out ineptitude.)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 29, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
excellent point by my guy tdaver here.

And I know this is a pointless hypothetical, but even if Delton hadn’t just gotten sketti brain’d, do we really think our coaches would’ve done anything differently? I don’t. (Based entirely off of now years of clock mismanagement/WTF time out ineptitude.)
Yeah I feel like people in this thread have spent more time thinking about time management than our staff

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 29, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
Actually...eff it. Even with Delton sketti’d, we still should’ve called timeout. We had already run Barnes out of the wildcat at that point and had success. So, if KU HAD gone for it on 4th and failed, we at least get one crack (or maybe even two or maybe even three!) to get it from our own 39 yard-line onto the other side of midfield for McCrane’s considerable range. If that Barnes-cat attempt gets stuffed and our coaches have second thoughts, we could've then had a clearer picture and knelt it out and it’s the same result.

Or, alternatively, we call timeout with :40 left and KU punts, we kneel it out from deep in our own territory. Same result.

Instead (!), we eff around, let the clock tick down to :07 and give them no reason to have to make any decision EXCEPT heaving it into the end zone (which I’ll remind everyone again, was nearly caught for a touchdown). The plan we took offered KU a chance to have a play with no potential upside for us but a huge potential upside for them. Our coaches are rough ridin' idiots.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:35:08 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 29, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »
I think we can all agree the amount of questionable coaching decisions from this staff this season has been vast. With Bill's sickness, I think that can at least be partially attributed to him being around less and having less input into day to day operations. Either way, IMO it's a good sign that vast changes need to be made in the near future. I think squeezing out a couple more wins and a middling bowl game is still possible and hopefully will provide Bill a decent way to go out.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 29, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
Beating a down Nebraska in a crappy bowl would be the next best thing for Bill to go out on IMO. Only a conference / national championship would be better. And that’s not happening again during his lifetime.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 29, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
Actually...eff it. Even with Delton sketti’d, we still should’ve called timeout. We had already run Barnes out of the wildcat at that point and had success. So, if KU HAD gone for it on 4th and failed, we at least get one crack (or maybe even two!) to get it into McCrane’s considerable range. If that wildcat Barnes attempt gets stuffed, we kneel it out and it’s the same result as what we got.

Or, we call timeout and KU punts, we kneel it out. Same result.

Instead, we eff around and give them no reason to have to make any decision EXCEPT heaving it into the end zone, which I’ll remind everyone again, was nearly caught for a touchdown. Our coaches are rough ridin' idiots.

I mean, duh!

The choices were: 1) give ku a free shot at a TD, or 2) force a punt (ku was not going for it on 4th and 14 at the 40, good grief), get a shot at a block or punt return, maybe give yourself a shot at points but worse case they don't get a shot at points.

It's a decision point as obvious as "should I park my car on train tracks or not?"