Author Topic: IMPORTANT KANSAS LEGISLATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT (MID MAJOR RELATED):  (Read 8763 times)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT KANSAS LEGISLATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT (MID MAJOR RELATED):
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 11:52:15 AM »
Too much clip art.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
Phog.net, frankj reposting from some dude on a UT site.   

fwiw, the politicians in the state have to listen to their KU constituents too and can only do what they can do to protect the state's assets.  if they think that KU has more to gain than K-State has to lose then they'd be foolish not to move forward with the plan.

Got to agree w/ this.  There is absolutely no possible way KU ever competes at a mid-major level, or belongs to a conference not tied to the BCS.  Too much money, too much tradition, too much alumni contributions, too much of a national interest to all of a sudden be the best program in the C-USA.

K-State on the other hand....

Lot of chowder heads in this thread.

Have any of you ever met General Myers?  Do you have any idea what the chairmanship of the Joint Chiefs of Staff means?  That guys didn't watch his buddies die in a pool of bloody mud and entrails to have his Alma Mater get jobbed by a rag tag bunch of KU attorneys and property developers. 

One the largest suppliers of military hardware in the world has operations in this state, a firm whose relationships with military leadership are valued above all other "assets."  Guess who leaves the state of Kansas if K-State and KU are broken up?  Boeing.  They are held onto by a shoe string.   In addition to the 2586 Boeing employees in Kansas, the company also works with 464 suppliers/vendors around the state.  You want to break up KU and K-State, well that's going to make a certain ally of Boeing very unhappy.  You think Boeing won't pick up the phone and make some calls to Kansas legislators?  You think those legislators want to jeopardize all those jobs?

K-State might as well change it's name to the the "real WEST Point."  Done deal, boys.

This would be alot more interesting and relevant if Mulally was still at Boeing.

Dude you know how it works...."meet the new boss, same as the old boss."  You think that they have changed the way business is conducted in the Pentagon?  eff no, and that's all that maters here.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »

fwiw, the politicians in the state have to listen to their KU constituents too and can only do what they can do to protect the state's assets.  if they think that KU has more to gain than K-State has to lose then they'd be foolish not to move forward with the plan.

Quick follow-up question....which board on Phog are they using to discuss this topic?  Their football board?

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »

Dude you know how it works...."meet the new boss, same as the old boss."  You think that they have changed the way business is conducted in the Pentagon?  shazbot! no, and that's all that maters here.

I was just being facetious with the previous post.  I don't understand the original point about Boeing in relation to KU and K-State
Message Board Samurai

The42Yardstick

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 05:35:13 PM »

Quick follow-up question....which board on Phog are they using to discuss this topic?  Their football board?

Hoops and Gridiron. They both have kind of separate cultures, you know.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »
Hillwalking just destroyed pete, hilarious pwnage

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
man, pete just mopped the floor with that poor hillwalking person. lol.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »

Dude you know how it works...."meet the new boss, same as the old boss."  You think that they have changed the way business is conducted in the Pentagon?  shazbot! no, and that's all that maters here.

I was just being facetious with the previous post.  I don't understand the original point about Boeing in relation to KU and K-State

Which part don't you understand?  The part about one of the largest economic engines in the state picking up the phone and calling the legislators that they give money to, or the part about the legislators answering phone calls from the massive donors to their campaign?  :dunno:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
Limestone took over this thread and hasn't let go.  amazing  bbs'ing

The42Yardstick

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
Every single one of you in this thread is my sock AND racist

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »
This thread should be renamed the Racist Society of American Racists. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »

Which part don't you understand?  The part about one of the largest economic engines in the state picking up the phone and calling the legislators that they give money to, or the part about the legislators answering phone calls from the massive donors to their campaign?  :dunno:

The part about Boeing caring what conference KU and KSU are in.  

edit:  I think Limestone's domination of this thread is intimidating other posters.  May have to hide this in the 42Yardstick Gardening Advice Thread
Message Board Samurai

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »

Which part don't you understand?  The part about one of the largest economic engines in the state picking up the phone and calling the legislators that they give money to, or the part about the legislators answering phone calls from the massive donors to their campaign?  :dunno:

edit:  I think Limestone's domination of this thread is intimidating other posters.  May have to hide this in the 42Yardstick Gardening Advice Thread

The next time we are sharing a beer together, watching our teams play for the  C-USA championship, I'll share with you the story of how Ann Richards got Baylor into the Big 12.

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 03:16:11 PM »

The next time we are sharing a beer together, watching our teams play for the  C-USA championship, I'll share with you the story of how Ann Richards got Baylor into the Big 12.

I know the story, but I don't think its accurate.  According to this it was Bob Bullock, the Lt. Gov. 

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/083006dnspobaylortcusf.4bf22e33.html
Message Board Samurai

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »

edit:  I think Limestone's domination of this thread is intimidating other posters.  May have to hide this in the 42Yardstick Gardening Advice Thread

The next time we are sharing a beer together, watching our teams play for the  C-USA championship, I'll share with you the story of how Ann Richards got Baylor into the Big 12.

I know the story, but I don't think its accurate.  According to this it was Bob Bullock, the Lt. Gov.  

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/083006dnspobaylortcusf.4bf22e33.html

Bob Bulluck or Jim J. Bullock, the point remains.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Paging hillwalking, you're needed on Clams' Cooking Board

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »

I know the story, but I don't think its accurate.  According to this it was Bob Bullock, the Lt. Gov. 

I found this quote interesting in that article

It was all about where you went to school. That's what former House Speaker Gib Lewis still believes today.

.....see my above comments on Senior State Senator, soon to be governor, and number of legislators in the state house and senate.  :gocho:

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
Pete, if Gen. Myers doesn't work and you can't establish dialtone while calling Boeing is there a plan B?

Any possibility of finding a good hooker to frame some folks in Topeka?
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
Pete, if Gen. Myers doesn't work and you can't establish dialtone while calling Boeing is there a plan B?

Hatter, we've planned for many contingencies.  Just as John Currie stated, it's like planning for a battle, where we as civilians throw out military euphemisms (e.g Rubicon crossings, etc.)....so you know we are serious about stuff.

So, yeah, I know quite a few questionable chicks from Topeka that I can call.   Honey pots will be be a' plenty.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 11:10:32 PM »

Email Boeing?   :dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
Perkins and John Currie, the K-State athletic director, said Tuesday that both schools were committed to the Big 12 and to each other. Currie said the Big 12 “will continue to be strong and viable.”

Perkins went out of his way to say KU wanted to stay tied to K-State.

“We have such great respect for K-State, and our relationship is getting stronger and stronger,” he said. “We think we have to be in the same footprint with K-State. That’s important to us.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/11/1940263/how-would-big-12-play-in-kc-without.html#ixzz0nm6mlu2y

He also fears traditional rivalries at the local and regional levels would lose their flair. That’s why, no matter what happens, he sees value in remaining in the same conference as Kansas.

“I think our two institutions are linked together …,” Currie said. “We have a terrific relationship at an administrative level with KU.

“I know our president and their chancellor are relatively new, and are both committed to working together proactively to serve our constituents. I know me and Lew Perkins have spent a lot of time talking together about things we can do to strengthen both of our institutions.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/11/1940170/ad-currie-says-k-state-ready-for.html#ixzz0nm6yKJ31

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »
I hope Currie is learning how to make an offer that cannot be refused.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
bill seff agrees.    10 p.m. tuesday sports report newscast video top right, skip to 1:08 mark

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »
If Perkins is fired, will that weaken the bond between :ksu: and ukans?  I really would like to be in a better mid-major rather than a worse. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »
If Perkins is fired, will that weaken the bond between :ksu: and ukans?  I really would like to be in a better mid-major rather than a worse. 

The bond between KU and KSU will not be diminished if Lew leaves.  It might even be strengthened.  There will be no strong leader/voice on the "KU side" to usurp the will of the Regents....which is to keep the schools together.

Lew leaving DOES potentially impact the quality of the conference we are both "stuck" in.  However, this does not concern me as much as our ability to ensure that we stay together forever, regardless of how horribly it hurts our mutual conference placement.