Author Topic: do we have a waters is a stud once in a while game thread?  (Read 9835 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: do we have a waters is a stud once in a while game thread?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »
i thought it was nice of the coaches to finally start letting the fans call the plays.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »
This game was encouraging because both QB's, for the most part, played very well against a marginal opponent.  And the back half of our schedule is full of marginal opponents.

its 60% full of marginal opponents

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
We have the fighting flood ags to build up some confidence.  :thumbs:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 11:43:06 PM »
I just hope this isn't a game that hurts us in the long run. Collin Klein threw for about 300 yards against these guys last year. Sams was a perfect 8/8, and Waters looked great, but we still need to run the ball if we want to have a chance at beating halfway decent teams.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 06:36:55 AM »
I just hope this isn't a game that hurts us in the long run. Collin Klein threw for about 300 yards against these guys last year. Sams was a perfect 8/8, and Waters looked great, but we still need to run the ball if we want to have a chance at beating halfway decent teams.

Completely different season, I think it's a stretch to make that comparison.

Also, I think getting Stiverson back will be really good in the long run, but I'm sure working him back in yesterday helped create some of the issues just because he hasn't played all year.

Offline IHateSQUAWKS

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »
So what we found out is we need to let Jake fling the ball down field to TT and TL often.  Then mix in some Hubert after the defense is spread out.  Tell Jake that when he gets within 5 yards of a defender it is two hands on the ball?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »

We had 43 rushes and 21 passes on Saturday so it's not like we abandoned our usual offense. Waters and Hubert had 29 carries for 141 yards - a pretty solid day for both of them.

WVU has a below average defense that is only good enough to stop one thing. Their coaches probably went into the game thinking that they wouldn't lose because Sams rushed for 200+ yards.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
So what we found out is we need to let Jake fling the ball down field to TT and TL often.  Then mix in some Hubert after the defense is spread out.  Tell Jake that when he gets within 5 yards of a defender it is two hands on the ball?

This is exactly what I meant by this game potentially hurting us in the long run. WVU is not good against the pass, so we really shouldn't be taking this game as evidence that those deep balls are going to be open against everybody else. I think we should continue to have that as an option and go to that well a few times per game, but against teams like OU, if the ground game is working, I wouldn't stray from it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »

This is exactly what I meant by this game potentially hurting us in the long run. WVU is not good against the pass, so we really shouldn't be taking this game as evidence that those deep balls are going to be open against everybody else. I think we should continue to have that as an option and go to that well a few times per game, but against teams like OU, if the ground game is working, I wouldn't stray from it.

When you play a bad pass defense why wouldn't you exploit it by passing the ball?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »

When you play a bad pass defense why wouldn't you exploit it by passing the ball?

You would and we did. I just hope we don't start believing that passing the ball is one of our strengths in future games when it really has not been in most of our games.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »
You would and we did. I just hope we don't start believing that passing the ball is one of our strengths in future games when it really has not been in most of our games.

I think our passing game is getting better. We actually have the 2nd best passing game rating in the league, complete 66% of our throws, and average over 9 yards per attempt. The key is cleaning up the silly INTs, I think Waters is doing that and I think Sams will. IMHO our numbers are solid enough through 7 games to not just think its a fluke.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »
Mistakes haven't really been discussed enough this year imo.  It has been remarkable how many stupid mistakes we make between Rooks on the line and all the damn interceptions and fumbles.  I don't believe I have seen such a large quantity of drive killing(for us) penatiesby Bill's teams before(excludes delay of game because that is just how bill rolls.). 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
Mistakes haven't really been discussed enough this year imo.  It has been remarkable how many stupid mistakes we make between Rooks on the line and all the damn interceptions and fumbles.  I don't believe I have seen such a large quantity of drive killing(for us) penatiesby Bill's teams before(excludes delay of game because that is just how bill rolls.).

Yeah. If at all possible, I would like to avoid passing the ball just because we have been so bad at protecting the football. Also, Gronk needs to get better or just sit the rest of this year out. We could just use Hubert as the lead blocker when Sams is in the game. He's a better blocker than Gronk, is a much better threat to actually run the ball, and he doesn't jump offsides. A FB should never jump offsides. It's ridiculous.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »
I like how people use the WVU game to argue that Waters should have played more in the OSU/BU games when all of his big plays involved guys who weren't available for OSU/BU.  I'm not saying he deserves no credit for those plays, I'm saying Curry Sexton and Kyle Klein trying to make those plays would be nightmarish.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
Yeah, the Gronk sucking point cannot be overstated.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

he's a rough ridin' redshirt freshman. he'll get better. shut up.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 12:00:41 PM »

That is fine, but do we not have someone else that could split time with him that is better for long yardage down blocking or something?  I am fine with getting youth experience, but playing him that much seems extreme given his struggles. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

He can get better in practice.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
I like how people use the WVU game to argue that Waters should have played more in the OSU/BU games when all of his big plays involved guys who weren't available for OSU/BU.  I'm not saying he deserves no credit for those plays, I'm saying Curry Sexton and Kyle Klein trying to make those plays would be nightmarish.

Again, we (and almost every program) have dumb fans.

Waters clearly has a nice connection with Lockett; Lockett talked after the game about how he and Waters often stay after practice and work on routes together. If Lockett (and Thompson) are healthy, it makes sense to play Waters more. And when Sams is struggling to run the ball, that's even more the case.

However, a big part of me still wishes that Snyder would just pick one and play him, I think the lack of rhythm the offense has at times is in large part due to the QB rotation.

That is fine, but do we not have someone else that could split time with him that is better for long yardage down blocking or something?  I am fine with getting youth experience, but playing him that much seems extreme given his struggles. 

I'm really surprised Nemechek hasn't played more.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
I think that teams are going to continue to have the ability to shut down Sams' run game as long as Snyder continues to use the 2 QB system. It's fine when it works, but at some point, we are going to have to find a way to take advantage of defenses loading the box against Sams.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
I think that teams are going to continue to have the ability to shut down Sams' run game as long as Snyder continues to use the 2 QB system. It's fine when it works, but at some point, we are going to have to find a way to take advantage of defenses loading the box against Sams.

He's got to complete some down the field throws to Lockett and/or Thompson.

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »
On the 1st TD that Waters threw to Lockett, I didn't see that Waters had entered the game* and was all "What a throw, Sams!"  Then I saw it was Waters and wasn't as happy, but it was a great throw.

*I was watching at a bar with some friends. . . I hate watching games at bars with friends because it's hard to pay attention to the game.  Anyone else have this problem?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »

It seems like we could revert to a lot of last year's play calling and do fine?   :dunno:

Yeah, but they don't have to be 40yrd bombs.  I mean, Bill could set up some mid distance stuff and accomplish the same relief.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »

Agreed.  I think if Sams does what he does well, he will get the occasional wide open deep ball.  Anything resembling coverage on those, he should avoid like the plague.  He's clearly tried to force it too much so far.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
the only way things are going to click for Gronk is with experience. he has the most upside. leave him in. let him grow.