Author Topic: Selection Committee Rankings  (Read 5724 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Selection Committee Rankings
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »
Will be very interested to see what the Committee's rankings look like compared to the AP Poll and the "Coaches" Poll (which really just copies the AP poll anyway).  I think the game-changer could be that, unlike the media who obviously focus on the money-making games and the coaches who are too busy to watch any games other than their own, the Committee gives the same attention to each game regardless of whether it was on prime time or not.

I don't expect the results to be earth shattering, but I do seriously doubt we'll see 4 SEC teams in the top 5.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Selection Committee Rankings
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
Will it affect the AP and coaches voting?

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
I'm with you catastrophe.  I also seriously doubt the top 5 will be SEC heavy.  I'm also curious to see if the AP and Coach's poll even exists in 10 years as the CFB playoff acts as an independent committee.  My only concern is about the CFB committee itself.  Will the committee be influenced by the AP and Coach's poll released on the Sunday night?  If it's the other way around, why even have an AP and Coach's poll?  I've never been a fan of pre-season polls anyway....

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »
We still have rankings in basketball where they are even more irrelevant.  So I'd expect that we will continue to have AP/Coaches rankings for the foreseeable future.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
They will copy the AP poll

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
If it comes down to Condoleezza Rice the Cats are in for sure

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

I'm really surprised how many people are assuming competency.  Have they not seen the clowns that make up this committee?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »

I'm really surprised how many people are assuming competency.  Have they not seen the clowns that make up this committee?

Plus it's impossible to watch enough games to really know who the best 25 teams are, even if you don't already have a real job like it appears most of the committee members do. I mean, the AP poll voters copy the AP poll.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »

Agreed. For all we know they are just going to get together and get drunk, be lazy and say screw it, we'll just do it by what the AP poll said. Less work for them, ESPN and the SEC are happy, and they get paid.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Watershed

• THE WORST
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
If it comes down to Condoleezza Rice the Cats are in for sure

She doesn't know her head from her ass about FB. Couldn't believe they put her on her. Must of tried to cover the minority/women requirement w/ one person. Failed on both accounts!

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
Today is literally the first time I realized the committee has secret ballots and can just choose whoever they want and there's zero transparency or shared formula.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
This playoff committee thing is going to be a disaster.  And it's going to be hilarious.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »
This playoff committee thing is going to be a disaster.  And it's going to be hilarious.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
Does the committee actually sit down together like the NCAA tournament committee or do they just mail in ballots?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
Half of them probably already have their final ballots filled out.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:42 PM »
Does the committee actually sit down together like the NCAA tournament committee or do they just mail in ballots?

The way I understand it is they all meet once a week and discuss teams. That's why Archie isn't participating this year because he won't be able to travel. This is the process:

It’s a five-step process: (1) Each committee member will list their top 25 teams, in no particular order. Teams listed by three or more members will remain under consideration; (2) each member will list their top six teams, in no particular order. The six teams receiving the most votes will comprise the pool for the first seeding ballot; (3) In the first seeding ballot, each member will rank those six teams -- one through six. Three teams receiving the fewest points will become the top three seeds. The three teams not seeded will be held over for the next seeding ballot; (4) each member will list the six best remaining teams, in no particular order. The three teams receiving the most votes will be added to the three teams held over to comprise the next seeding ballot; (5) Steps No. 3 and 4 will be repeated until 25 teams have been seeded. All votes will be by secret ballot.

I don't believe the SEC will have as strong a presence in the committee top 25 as the currently do in the media polls because they have more current info to base their decisions and won't be jaded by preseason predictions.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
They should let America have a veto via telephone poll
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
even better, stagger the games and have the committee sit in chairs above each press box, when the game is over if you are worthy they turn their chairs. tonya would most definitely get into that sort of game show

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
even better, stagger the games and have the committee sit in chairs above each press box, when the game is over if you are worthy they turn their chairs. tonya would most definitely get into that sort of game show

I think this idea should be expanded. The committee should consist entirely of former coaches. The coaches should each select 4 teams from the audition. These teams would play against each other, and the other coaches will have the opportunity to steal the winner if they come away impressed. After round 1, it's coach against coach until only one team remains. And that team is your national champion.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »

I think this idea should be expanded. The committee should consist entirely of former coaches. The coaches should each select 4 teams from the audition. These teams would play against each other, and the other coaches will have the opportunity to steal the winner if they come away impressed. After round 1, it's coach against coach until only one team remains. And that team is your national champion.
yep, put it on the CW and we have a winner

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »

Kegger at Condi's

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »
I was really hoping this would be a thread for ranking the selection committee members

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
I was really hoping this would be a thread for ranking the selection committee members
Condi is a no brainer at Number 1 just like Osborne is a shoo in for 13th.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again, but Condi will do a better job than all of those jock dweebs.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again, but Condi will do a better job than all of those jock dweebs.

Probably, but we won't know because the ballots are secret.