Author Topic: RANKINGS...  (Read 130153 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: RANKINGS...
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
another thing is, the SEC is really rough ridin' good.

i mean, relative to the last few years. The gap between the SEC and the next conference is huge this year. in 2012, the Big 12 & SEC were neck and neck.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »

Eh, the West has four really good teams.  Georgia is okay, but the rest of the East is a tire fire.

Four teams in the West could win the Big 12.  5-6 teams in the Big 12 could win the East, and 1 or 2 in the Big 12 could be very competitive in the West.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
also as to computers: most of the SEC teams don't play an FCS team until later in the season, so that helps their SOS

Yes, great point. They just play the scheduling game better than anyone. Those November FCS games are horseshit as an outsider but brilliant if you're an SEC fan.

It is brilliant, but it is also a little bit of a chicken and egg thing.  It only really works if teams are highly ranked, or over ranked, at the beginning of the season.  If you have teams in the high teens, lower twenties, then the view is that the losing team was over rated rather than the winning team being better than the low ranking.

When you have teams in the top 5 or top 10, they discuss the game and it's outcomes in a different light.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 20, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »

i mean, relative to the last few years. The gap between the SEC and the next conference is huge this year. in 2012, the Big 12 & SEC were neck and neck.
if baylor wins against wvu and arky doesn't go full Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) the big 12 is in the drivers seat. aTm is a rough ridin' joke and should even be considered a good win at this point, ole miss and msu are good but will each have two losses by the end of the year. And with that point I think there isn't a team in the Sec with only one loss at the end of the year

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »

Eh, the West has four really good teams.  Georgia is okay, but the rest of the East is a tire fire.

Four teams in the West could win the Big 12.  5-6 teams in the Big 12 could win the East, and 1 or 2 in the Big 12 could be very competitive in the West.
I would say the Big 12 has at least 4 teams that could win the West and WVU was very competitive in a virtual road vs Bama.   

I will hand it to the SEC media machine, they have kept the propaganda going for the Miss schools just as heavily as they have for the traditional powers and that is one more thing we could learn from them.  Just because UT is down and OU is having a stealth rebuilding year doesn't mean the conference has to take a back seat.

I would like to think that the selection committee makes the polls and the lack of air time on ESPN and the lack of primetime games meaningless but two SEC West teams in the playoff feels inevitable.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
this is why I wanted the Big 12 to beat Auburn and Bama so badly this year but it just wasn't meant to be apparently
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »

this is why I wanted the Big 12 to beat Auburn and Bama so badly this year but it just wasn't meant to be apparently

I mean, two of the better SEC teams beat two of the better B12 teams on the road and at a neutral site. The SEC is just better. Sucks for us but it is what it is.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
Doesn't mean we should be held without a team in the playoff picture tho.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »

I mean, two of the better SEC teams beat two of the better B12 teams on the road and at a neutral site. The SEC is just better. Sucks for us but it is what it is.

also the 3rd worst SEC team tore apart the 3rd worst B12 team on the road, so there should be no "top heavy" complainers either

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 20, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »
also as to computers: most of the SEC teams don't play an FCS team until later in the season, so that helps their SOS

Yes, great point. They just play the scheduling game better than anyone. Those November FCS games are horseshit as an outsider but brilliant if you're an SEC fan.

It is brilliant, but it is also a little bit of a chicken and egg thing.  It only really works if teams are highly ranked, or over ranked, at the beginning of the season.  If you have teams in the high teens, lower twenties, then the view is that the losing team was over rated rather than the winning team being better than the low ranking.

yeah. Basically, preseason polls shouldn't be allowed and the NCAA should schedule all games (including OOC) NFL style.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »

also the 3rd worst SEC team tore apart the 3rd worst B12 team on the road, so there should be no "top heavy" complainers either

Is Arkansas really the third worst SEC team? Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Missouri all seem to be about at the same level as Arkansas to me.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 20, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »

Is Arkansas really the third worst SEC team? Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Missouri all seem to be about at the same level as Arkansas to me.

it's arguable.
Snowbrag has only Tennessee and Vanderbilt worse.
Sagarin has South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt worse
Massey has Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt worse.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »
More on SOS: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fei-ratings/2014/fei-week-8

a) The Cats have performed better than any other Big 12 team considering their schedule to this point.
b) The Cats have the 2nd toughest remaining schedule of any Big 12 team (behind only OSU).
c) The FEI ratings from footballoutsiders are much more kind to the Cats that S&P ratings.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:06:16 AM by ksu_FAN »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
More on SOS: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fei-ratings/2014/fei-week-8

a) The Cats have preformed better than any other Big 12 team considering their schedule to this point.
b) The Cats have the 2nd toughest remaining schedule of any Big 12 team (behind only OSU).
c) The FEI ratings from footballoutsiders are much more kind to the Cats that S&P ratings.

5.4% chance of winning out!

:billdance:

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »
Snyder has positioned us perfectly.

Undefeated and the rest of the conference STILL thinks that Kstate doesn't have a chance.

How does Snyds do that? He schemes his own fans!!!

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 26, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »
Wow, KSU moves nowhere after shutting out Texas.  I get that UT sucks, but seriously, shutting out any team is noteworthy.  Meanwhile, Ole Miss drops only to #7 after losing to LSU?  They were only able to put 7 pts. up on LSU.  Even Florida put up more pts. on LSU than Ole Miss' and Florida is a disaster.  WTF?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 26, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
Wow, KSU moves nowhere after shutting out Texas.  I get that UT sucks, but seriously, shutting out any team is noteworthy.  Meanwhile, Ole Miss drops only to #7 after losing to LSU?  They were only able to put 7 pts. up on LSU.  Even Florida put up more pts. on LSU than Ole Miss' and Florida is a disaster.  WTF?

We actually picked up votes in both polls.  However, you don't really see that we widened our lead on Baylor and OSU because we didn't shift up or down any spots.

Ole Miss wasn't going to go from 3rd to 11th.  You aren't going to drop eight spots losing by a FG in Death Valley.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 26, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
seems fine to me

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 26, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 26, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
The Big 12 has five teams in the 10-20 range (AP):

#10 TCU
#11 KSU
#12 Baylor
#19 OU
#20 WVU

Aside from the SEC West, no one faces a bigger murderer's row than that.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 26, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
The Big 12 has five teams in the 10-20 range (AP):

#10 TCU
#11 KSU
#12 Baylor
#19 OU
#20 WVU

Aside from the SEC West, no one faces a bigger murderer's row than that.
Add to the fact that we win out and beat each of those on the road, we can't be kept out of the playoffs.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
TCU is a little underranked to me. Otherwise, the poll seems about right.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
really don't understand getting worked up at all over these rankings. save your zeal for Tuesday.
emaw

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
TCU is a little underranked to me. Otherwise, the poll seems about right.

Losing a 21 point 4th quarter lead and giving up 61 points will lead people to rank you behind other respectable football teams.