Author Topic: And it begins...  (Read 65151 times)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: And it begins...
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »
I'd love to land Severe solely for his shooting, but we NEED another ball handler for 1st semester next year.

i bet severe would be fine as a secondary ball handler.  i'd be really excited if kstate can get him.

Maybe. For what it's worth Rivals rates his handles as "needs work".

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Why in the hell would we want him to oscar anyone. Our roster is only going to get worse as he makes more signings and crappy roster decisions.   :nono:

Orris/oscar Timeline

9/23/2011-         Orris Visits Illinois.  oscar knew his job was on the line and Orris never signs. Other notable offers include Nebraska, Drake and Pittsburgh. Keep in mind that oscar had given Orris an offer to Illinois according to Rivals.

4/14/2012-        Orris follows oscar to  Kansas State  visits and signs.    :ksu:   (We stole an Illinois recruit)  :dance:

Brazil Trip-         Orris goes on the Brazil Trip and apparently impresses oscar enough not to redshirt him.   :gocho:

Non Conference play-  oscar isn't impressed with him enough to actually give any meaningful minutes in any close games but does play him and loses Orris a year of eligibility.    :dubious:

Wildcat Recruiting-    While all of this is going on oscar gets commitments from 3 guards (including a point guard) and a small/power forward all before Jan. 7th.     :opcat:

In the following months KU kicks our butts because they have better big men than we do and we also lose to LaSalle because we don't have or at least don't trust our bigs.      :sdeek:

Now we are happy that oscar  "Franked" Orris in order to get a Big Man that we should have already had or been saving a scholarship for.      :party:

We also have a head coach that has talked about redshirting Diaz, which should have happened this year if we were ever going to do it.   :facepalm:
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »
Why in the hell would we want him to oscar anyone. Our roster is only going to get worse as he makes more signings and crappy roster decisions.   :nono:

Orris/oscar Timeline

9/23/2011-         Orris Visits Illinois.  oscar knew his job was on the line and Orris never signs. Other notable offers include Nebraska, Drake and Pittsburgh. Keep in mind that oscar had given Orris an offer to Illinois according to Rivals.

4/14/2012-        Orris follows oscar to  Kansas State  visits and signs.    :ksu:   (We stole an Illinois recruit)  :dance:

Brazil Trip-         Orris goes on the Brazil Trip and apparently impresses oscar enough not to redshirt him.   :gocho:

Non Conference play-  oscar isn't impressed with him enough to actually give any meaningful minutes in any close games but does play him and loses Orris a year of eligibility.    :dubious:

Wildcat Recruiting-    While all of this is going on oscar gets commitments from 3 guards (including a point guard) and a small/power forward all before Jan. 7th.     :opcat:

In the following months KU kicks our butts because they have better big men than we do and we also lose to LaSalle because we don't have or at least don't trust our bigs.      :sdeek:

Now we are happy that oscar  "Franked" Orris in order to get a Big Man that we should have already had or been saving a scholarship for.      :party:

We also have a head coach that has talked about redshirting Diaz, which should have happened this year if we were ever going to do it.   :facepalm:

wut.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

Orris/oscar Timeline

go away and stuff

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
Sys, if you had to choose right now, do you take DJamer or Diaz as your back up 5 next yr?

i frank johnson and rs diaz.

DUMB
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »
I still haven't read a good logical reason to RS anyone.  This isn't football.  Either recruit over diaz via juco or transfer or don't RS anyone so they have it available when you oscar them after next year.

If you have a logjam of talent, and somebody is willing to redshirt, you should do it.

I should have been more specific; I haven't heard a reason to redshirt anyone on this roster.  That reason, while logical would not apply to this team.

At this point I don't think we should reshirt anyone, but I could see a scenario in which I would support reshirting Thomas.  Depends on what happens between now and January.  That said, I don't see how it really hurts us if we decide to rs Diaz.  I mean, I wouldn't be pissed about it or anything.   :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »

Orris/oscar Timeline

go away and stuff

I thought it was a very nice post.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »
 :dubious:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
and sometimes heartbreaking (franking 95 for the jet  :cry:)

95 was a walkon.  whatever the reason he was franked was, it wasn't to free up a scholarship.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

catzacker

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »
I still haven't read a good logical reason to RS anyone.  This isn't football.  Either recruit over diaz via juco or transfer or don't RS anyone so they have it available when you oscar them after next year.

If you have a logjam of talent, and somebody is willing to redshirt, you should do it.

I should have been more specific; I haven't heard a reason to redshirt anyone on this roster.  That reason, while logical would not apply to this team.

At this point I don't think we should reshirt anyone, but I could see a scenario in which I would support reshirting Thomas.  Depends on what happens between now and January.  That said, I don't see how it really hurts us if we decide to rs Diaz.  I mean, I wouldn't be pissed about it or anything.   :dunno:

I guess I wouldn't see the point of redshirting him.  I mean, eff, if you're redshirting diaz just give up on him and send him on his way.I'm just imaginig that it's easier to find some juco banger that is more serviceable than diaz.  maybe that's not an accurate assumption. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »
It would seem that Fincher might be as big of a RS candidate (if not bigger) than Diaz because his scouting says he is pretty raw offensively. Of course one of his biggest strengths coming in is shot blocking, so perhaps he will be an option as the "backstop of our defense".

i've talked myself into diaz making more sense, since he gives you the same thing as gippy (but not as good), offensive ability but poor defense.  fincher, in theory would be the opposite.

At least Gip showed to be a pretty good rebounder (both ends). Diaz's deboarding was only better than Angel's (and barely better) and his oboarding was the worst of the bigs. Limited minutes could factor into that though, but I'm not sure how much.

Fincher will be interesting to see.

We've seen him rebound, the man can't rebound.

The problem with Diaz is he is mentally and physically weak and he seems to have almost zero instincts around the bucket.  I think oscar thinks he can turn him in to some sort of pick and pop kid, but this guy will never rebound or play solid D on the block.  It is not in him.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
If we could land Severe, that would be great.   If we don't, i just think we go after a transfer (like Cosby or Shaw)

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
good for weber.  the illinois posters said he wouldn't do it, but they were wrong.  he has learned.

now go do johnson, websie!

For a couple of reasons

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2013, 09:50:10 PM »
I like DJamer. He passes my optical sniff test. I bet he is a good player next year. I can't sustain any kind of hbiq argument though.

I think he has potential to be a solid post player. Good oboarder, solid dboarder, decent shot blocker. He wasn't a scorer though, but the positive was that he shot a pretty high percentage.

DJamer literally had zero post moves last year. His post move was, try to be so open that you can shoot an unguarded layup. I'm hoping that was a result of never focusing solely on basketball, and with an offseason with our coaching staff he can start to get comfortable with a couple of basic moves down low. He definitely has the size and athleticism to be an effective player at this level.

Its very rare to have a true freshman big that does, the differences between a big in high school and a big in D1 is amazing. I was a very good 6A big in high school and I was 6'1" my senior year. Even elite high school big men rarely face another legit big, they often can overpower, out rebound, and/or just score over whomever they are guarded by. Gip didn't have any moves last season. Deandre Jordan has turned into a very good NBA big and he didn't have any moves in college either. That has to be developed in 99.99% of college big men.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
good for weber.  the illinois posters said he wouldn't do it, but they were wrong.  he has learned.

now go do johnson, websie!

For a couple of reasons

Best GIF ever!!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »
I like DJamer too!

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
and sometimes heartbreaking (franking 95 for the jet  :cry:)

95 was a walkon.  whatever the reason he was franked was, it wasn't to free up a scholarship.

95 wasn't going to play and I'm guessing he wasn't going to stay in Kansas being Potz.

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
Personally, I can tolerate the idea of DJamer playing backup minutes at center.

I love the idea of Junior DJamer playing Starting Power Forward.
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

Its very rare to have a true freshman big that does, the differences between a big in high school and a big in D1 is amazing. I was a very good 6A big in high school and I was 6'1" my senior year. Even elite high school big men rarely face another legit big, they often can overpower, out rebound, and/or just score over whomever they are guarded by. Gip didn't have any moves last season. Deandre Jordan has turned into a very good NBA big and he didn't have any moves in college either. That has to be developed in 99.99% of college big men.

HAHA!!!!
When did you graduate, 1933?
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
So. Is there anyone else getting Bruced? We offered like 3 spring guards, right? Are we just doing a shotgun method and whoever jumps first gets the scholly? If Diaz is gone, shouldn't we at least be looking at another big for this year?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »

This is my general thought process to RSing in basketball too.

Jamar?  Releford?  Morningstar?  Out of examples.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2013, 12:05:13 AM »

You make a habit of recruiting over players and then you'll find yourself in APR hell

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2013, 12:52:31 AM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
And it begins...
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2013, 06:14:29 AM »

Jamar only had half a season to redshirt, he wasn't eligible for non con.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2013, 06:57:46 AM »

As sd pointed out, Jamar was a different situation. And there are situations where it makes sense, I'm not sure this year is one of them. The biggest issue is this year was the best year to do it and oscar even talked about it early in the year; unfortunately the move of Shane to the 4 and their trust of Gip and JO (mainly) manning the 5 spot didn't occur until December, so it was too late. I wouldn't be totally against it this year for Diaz or Fincher because it still makes some sense if DJamer can develop enough to be effective behind Gip. (and if both of those guys can develop enough to be more effective on defense).