Author Topic: Stan Weber recap on border patrol  (Read 2611 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Stan Weber recap on border patrol
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
-Give us state of KSU Bball?:  Played unusual schedule for P5 conference team.  Not normal sequence.  Then, throw in finals week.  Very much a grind right now.  But, then, will be all bball for an entire month.  Started playing very well in Hawaii.  Played very well against Purdue and AZ....but since then it's been a struggle.

-Starts with three guys:  MF, Wesley, and Gip.  Then, have Nino step up as senior.  But, Wesley hasn't been playing up to par and not earning minutes.  Gip has been in foul trouble so early, not getting necessary minutes.  MF:  played well, but in spurts.  Not consistent.  Those three core guys...just not getting anywhere near production from them that we did last year.

-Think there was an HI hangover?  Absolutely.  Not only the effects of Hawaii....but losing three games like they did.  As soon as get back, have to head right to TN.  I know those sound like a lot of excuses, so they just need to get going....which has happened in past in KC under BW.  He gave Florida and Gonzaga examples.

-From personal experience, hanging around bball players, once finals are over there's an entirely new excitement level around a basketball team.

-K-State is not playing well, but with a snap of the fingers it could turn around and be exactly right where they were last year, with parts in place to take them to another level.

-aTm:  This is a different team with transfers from SMU, etc.  What do you see?  This year's team has come together well and quickly.  Somehow, they have kids who transferred and got immediate clearance from NCAA.  They can play.  Big PG who can give opponents fits.  Plus, they have great experience to go with new guys/transfers.  Dangerous bball team.  Guards are very big, but that height stops at their guards.  Inside, they are small.

-Nate:  Going back to MF, does K-State need someone besides him to step up and take pressure off him?  Yes.  MF should not shoot more three pointers, especially if forced.  I would like to see him take more mid-range shots and get to rim.  That's his real game, to me.

-But, I keep focusing on guys who were here last year.  You have to get at least equal production from those guys.  Again, I bring up Wes.  He has to get going.  From there, Edwards HAS to get going.  He's almost been too unselfish.  He just doesn't feel comfortable yet.  You can see him passing up some good shots, just to keep the motion offense going.  He needs to start being aggressive and hit those.

-The entire team just needs to play better, more confident offensively.  It's a whole team thing.  I think they will be all right, but time is running out.  It starts tomorrow with very good team.

-How do you keep Gip out of foul trouble?  Have a sit-down, man to man talk with him and tell him absolutely no fouls before first TV timeout.  Just can't afford it.  Whatever you have to do, just don't pick up early foul.

-When you come down on offense and Gip is in there to throw to and pass out of double teams, etc., it just calms the whole team down.  He's a calming influence for everyone out there. 

(no specific PG questions or discussion)

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Stan Weber recap on border patrol
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
thanks as always blast. some great, great stuff here.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Foster absolutely does not need to shoot mid range jumpers.  He absolutely need to takes more 3pt'rs.

Wes needs to get going, but I am convinced at this point that he is injured.

Gipson needs to be able to pass out of the double team.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »
Agree Foster needs to do a better Job at getting looks from the 3pt line. Needs to be better off the ball. He needs to use the 3pt shot to open up the rest of his game. Edwards needs to be more aggressive. He is a coward.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I wouldn't say he looks like a coward.  He just isn't as talented as he was billed to be, imo.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:00:58 PM »
Edwards is really good at missing dunk shots.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks tater, good to be snarfing on good raw meat about the team.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
Maybe not mid range, but Foster should be getting to the rim and the foul line more. And Wes not showing up yet is really tough, plus Edwards struggles.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »
Maybe not mid range, but Foster should be getting to the rim and the foul line more.

i think he should do what he's good at (shoot 3s).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
Mid range jumpers... Lol. Remember before basketball analytics when old times coaches still thought that was a good idea?
:adios:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
I love it when Marcus hits 3s, but this is the Marcus K-State needs right now...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
Maybe not mid range, but Foster should be getting to the rim and the foul line more.

i think he should do what he's good at (shoot 3s).
IMO, driving and getting to the rim a little (because he has the skills to do so) would make what he's already good at easier.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
I love it when Marcus hits 3s, but this is the Marcus K-State needs right now...

Wildwildcat BB needs a bunch more of this.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
IMO, driving and getting to the rim a little (because he has the skills to do so) would make what he's already good at easier.

i don't think he's very good at that.  if defenses absolutely force him to, he should reluctantly drive.  99% of the time he should shoot.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »
He needs to create straight line drives via putting pressure on his defender from his shooting prowess. The small forward position is the biggest question for the offenses, can Westicles turn it around? What is Edwards capable of? Would also like Hurt to put for effort on getting post ups.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »
Thanks tater, good to be snarfing on good raw meat about the team.

Csourky nomination for post of the year
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 05:16:37 AM »
Is Marcus trying to make too many 3s to show he has value for the NBA?  Those fancy summer camps seem to have screwed up his mindset of wanting to beat everyone to show he belongs at D1.  Time for Gap to feed him humble pie.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »

Wildwildcat BB needs a bunch more of this.

strong correlation between no sleeves and not being a bitch demonstrated in that gif
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »
-Tyler Lockett turning heads.....what are you hearing?  Very happy for him.  Not good for KC Chiefs b/c he's showing world what he can do.  Chiefs won't be able to steal.  Has both the quickness and speed needed.  A lot have one or the other.  He has both.  He'll get the separation needed for NFL QB's to find him, no question.  On top of that he's so smart, so focused, so well coached.

-Was impressed with loss at ISU.  Did team run out of gas?  oscar knows that better than me.  If he says that, probably true.  But, I look at it as ISU is just so tough up there.  Have to play well darn near every minute of the game in Ames. And, didn't do that down stretch....but mainly b/c of ISU.  If it's close up there in final minutes, ISU is going to normally win.

-oscar has changed some things offensively....getting the big guys out away from bucket....having them take that mid range shot.  (I assume this is b/c we aren't going to just post many teams up anyway).

-OSU....how is K-State different now?  Marcus Foster.  Didn't play.  Plus, K-State still in complete shock over TX Southern and Georgia.  They had zero confidence.  What they showed was artificial.  There is no comparison between what KSU was and is now.  But, OSU went into Allen and you can see how they'll scrap.

-Guarding Forte?  He's tough obviously.  Has expanded his game.  Take away his three and now he can get to rim.  Just hit crazy shots the first time we met.  Have to hope he's missing those crazy shot.  But, K-State has options.  Can put size or quickness on him....and defense is oscar's strength.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »
-Tyler Lockett turning heads.....what are you hearing?  Very happy for him.  Not good for KC Chiefs b/c he's showing world what he can do.  Chiefs won't be able to steal.  Has both the quickness and speed needed.  A lot have one or the other.  He has both.  He'll get the separation needed for NFL QB's to find him, no question.  On top of that he's so smart, so focused, so well coached.

-Was impressed with loss at ISU.  Did team run out of gas?  oscar knows that better than me.  If he says that, probably true.  But, I look at it as ISU is just so tough up there.  Have to play well darn near every minute of the game in Ames. And, didn't do that down stretch....but mainly b/c of ISU.  If it's close up there in final minutes, ISU is going to normally win.

-oscar has changed some things offensively....getting the big guys out away from bucket....having them take that mid range shot.  (I assume this is b/c we aren't going to just post many teams up anyway).

-OSU....how is K-State different now?  Marcus Foster.  Didn't play.  Plus, K-State still in complete shock over TX Southern and Georgia.  They had zero confidence.  What they showed was artificial.  There is no comparison between what KSU was and is now.  But, OSU went into Allen and you can see how they'll scrap.

-Guarding Forte?  He's tough obviously.  Has expanded his game.  Take away his three and now he can get to rim.  Just hit crazy shots the first time we met.  Have to hope he's missing those crazy shot.  But, K-State has options.  Can put size or quickness on him....and defense is oscar's strength.
:thumbs:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 09:32:27 AM »
Sorry if discussed elsewhere but Stan looked like death warmed over last night. Is he okay?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 09:33:17 AM »
Sorry if discussed elsewhere but Stan looked like death warmed over last night. Is he okay?
Dude never stops working. I'm sure he's fading.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 09:52:05 AM »
Dude never stops working. I'm sure he's fading.

Probably jet lag from Hawaii

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »
I didn't read through the entire recap but did talk about our team being out of shape and soft?  Both attributes of a Weber coached team.

I'm sure he covered it.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008