Author Topic: Campus Visit - UVA vs Maryland  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
Campus Visit - UVA vs Maryland
« on: December 04, 2014, 10:23:21 AM »
I was treated to some luck when my girlfriend's job offered out tickets for last night's top 25 showdown between UVA and Maryland. This was my first time watching a live basketball game since moving to the east coast and it was a very interesting experience. The xfinity center was pretty impressive. It sported a video board reminiscent of Jerry's World and the club seats were at pro level.

The game wasn't all that interesting since Maryland looked worse than the cats at shooting, but the atmosphere was intense. The student body had traditional chants that they all knew how to use and they were quite noisy. I'll also give their cheer squad a thumbs up since at halftime they rolled out some mats and did a real show. The things they did were quite impressive and I was thoroughly entertained by their acrobatics. They also have a gymnastics team, so I assume there is some crossover which is cheating. Props to the row of students who were dressed in suits like Turgeon's and they each put a little bit of white in their hair like his. That was pretty funny. Reminds me of the time my friends and I did "Martin's Mafia" back in the day.

The biggest disappointment was their highlight videos. They didn't pump me up at all and were put to poorly chosen music. Maybe that is because I couldn't care less about the team, but that was one thing that I think K-State has a pretty good handle on. 

My overall assessment of the wildcats chances against either team:

If we played them today on a neutral court:
Maryland 67 - KSU 80
UVA 85 - KSU 70

If we played them today in Bramlage:
Maryland 60 - KSU 90
UVA 75 - KSU 80

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Campus Visit - UVA vs Maryland
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
Nice write up DC Cat. I've always liked UVA. I also like Maryland's fight song.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »
maryland just beat iowa state in kansas city but you think kstate would beat maryland on a neutral court by 13?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
maryland just beat iowa state in kansas city but you think kstate would beat maryland on a neutral court by 13?

They were missing their best player when yard dog watched them. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »

Interesting if true. Maryland couldn't hit a shot. Their only real offense was one guy shooting threes and a tall white boy trying to drive it to the bucket. Honestly the score doesn't reflect the game. The outcome was never really in question because of Maryland's poor decision making and bad shooting.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »

Interesting if true. Maryland couldn't hit a shot. Their only real offense was one guy shooting threes and a tall white boy trying to drive it to the bucket. Honestly the score doesn't reflect the game. The outcome was never really in question because of Maryland's poor decision making and bad shooting.

You can take it to the bank, yard dog.  It would be exactly as if you were judging the go purples sans Foster. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »

You can take it to the bank, yard dog.  It would be exactly as if you were judging the go purples sans Foster.

Yeesh. Well that does make a lot of a difference. Though I still like our odds as our team matures to match up with UM even with their stud. Both UVA and UM were foul crazy. They got to ten fouls each by the midway point in both halves. The UM guards would just run into the PG in the backcourt instead of moving their feet. Then Turgeon didn't pull them. It was odd.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
Crumbs of knowledge abound ITT.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »
thanks for all the #hottakes, yard dog.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
I didn't mention them initially because they didn't seem as relevant to the whole basketball thing, but I got to see two interesting things one before the game and one after.

Before the game I got to walk past a group of young african american ferguson protesters. They were chanting "Hands Up, Dont Shoot" and were very vocal. One gentleman was holding a sign saying something about "You say black people are criminals but then pay to see them play sports" and how that is a contradiction or something. Turns out he was on the football team and one of the captains that were honored at halftime for being great leaders and for becoming bowl eligible on a last second field goal vs Penn State. He was wearing a Harvard beanie cap for some reason which was odd.

After the game I saw a younger UM fan pick a fight with a bigger and a little older UVA fan. The UM fan claimed the UVA fan bumped him and was begging him to "take this outside". When the UVA fan ignored him he threw a wadded up paper towel at him then took off his jacket and held up his hands in fists. When a large african american man came to split them up the UM fan kept talking game but backed up slowly around the corner. It was fairly comical.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
Sounds like a pretty eventful evening.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »

It turned out to be quite the entertaining date night with the lady. Oh forgot to mention! Before the second half started they unfurled a giant maryland flag in their student section and sandstormed with it. It was pretty epic.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »

It turned out to be quite the entertaining date night with the lady. Oh forgot to mention! Before the second half started they unfurled a giant maryland flag in their student section and sandstormed with it. It was pretty epic.

Oh man, you could have picked out any Phogestinians in attendance because college kids having fun and Sandstroming enrages them.

Did you see anyone melting down during student section flagging and sandstorming fun, DC?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
I went to a terps game once, did coke with Lenny bias then met up with a posse of bitches, woke up with a bad case of uva in my penis. Thought I was in England until someone told me that thing was the Maryland flag
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline uncle clean jeans

• hygienic role model
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
I went to a terps game once, did coke with Lenny bias then met up with a posse of bitches, woke up with a bad case of uva in my penis. Thought I was in England until someone told me that thing was the Maryland flag
is uva that thing where blood and maybe a bit of puss leaks out and you can't pee straight and your pee is sticky

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »
is uva that thing where blood and maybe a bit of puss leaks out and you can't pee straight and your pee is sticky

Jesus! I hope not
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
African Americans?  Wow! What a wild place!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 08:41:28 AM »

Oh man, you could have picked out any Phogestinians in attendance because college kids having fun and Sandstroming enrages them.

Did you see anyone melting down during student section flagging and sandstorming fun, DC?

Not in the student section at least. . .they totally bought in. It helps that their team was ranked. . .but it was a Wednesday night. . and none of the students left early. I was proud of their fortitude, even though it wasn't very pretty for their team.

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
Props to the row of students who were dressed in suits like Turgeon's and they each put a little bit of white in their hair like his.

it's true, here is one of them

I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »

African Americans?  Wow! What a wild place!
Was MIR there?

Gonna win 'em all!