Author Topic: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab  (Read 106219 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
https://twitter.com/ryanafournier/status/1010641539876446214?s=21

i was previously unaware of the practice but am glad the president saw clear to pursue a more productive and humane solution

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Even this toolshed recognizes the left has no credible immigration policy and is ignoring the crisis they created (which makes him a racist, obv).

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/to-end-the-border-crisis-for-good-give-trump-his-wall.html

The funny thing about this op-ed is that Sullivan simultaneously concedes that Trump has a valid point while at the same time calling him a bigot for having that point of view. It’s really a marvelously contorted piece of writing. I encourage everyone to read it. I suspect he wrote the article in this way to get his liberal brethren to at least hear him out. Maybe a good approach.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I have no idea who Sullivan thinks he is writing for these days.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I have no idea who Sullivan thinks he is writing for these days.

I think he’s writing to appeal to his fellow liberals. It’s the only way I can square such an obviously contradictory piece. Consider the first few paragraphs:

You could think of the last week as a solid victory for the Democrats and for basic human decency. An utterly indefensible and morally foul policy of separating children from their parents is over for now. Trump backed down amid a torrent of his usual lies and refusal to take responsibility for anything. We found a line even today’s GOP would not cross (although we also found plenty who were indeed prepared to cross it).

But it is emphatically not the end of this story, not simply because there are more than 2,000 children still apart from their families, with very little hope of ever finding their parents again, but because none of the underlying reasons for this atrocity in the first place have been addressed. Nor are they likely to be addressed in the Congress today, as one of the latest GOP immigration bills staggers toward failure. Nor do the Democrats seem able, willing, or united enough to tackle the problem at its source, by finding a legislative compromise with the GOP and president, on both legal and illegal immigration. That means families in cages multiplying in the future; it means more endangered children; it means an even deeper coarsening of our moral values; it means more and more people in limbo; it means genuine refugees losing asylum and being deported back to their nightmares; and it portends even greater polarization ahead.

Ok, so far we have the typical liberal line. Which makes sense that if you want to appeal to liberals, you better start by establishing your liberal bona fides, your superior virtue, your Detest for all things Trump. But then the pivot:

The reason for that is simple: The United States has not allocated the resources, political and financial, to stem the wave of illegal immigrants into this country that is now rising again, or to enable genuine asylum cases to be adjudicated fairly and expeditiously. Our political system — incapacitated by tribalism — has been incapable of addressing the intensifying problem since the Bush administration. Obama was trapped by the same impasse as Trump now is, and detained families in camps. And the problem is acute. There are almost a third of a million asylum cases pending in the system; and, as David Frum has noted, it now takes up to nine months to process a single one. We also know that the Flores settlement that bars any detention of children with their parents past 20 days has not been invalidated or legislatively fixed.

Which means to say that in less than three weeks, we will be here again, with another excruciating dilemma. Do we set up vast tent cities and camps to imprison families indefinitely, or do we simply let these families go free, and hope they show up for a future court date? Either way, we solve nothing fundamental and leave a huge incentive for those trying to enter the U.S. illegally to bring children with them when they do. And that does happen. There is fraud and trafficking and opportunism as well as valid family-based escapes from violence and persecution, and it can be hard to tell one from the other.

Wait - what? You just said Trump’s policy was “utterly indefensible and mortally foul” - and then proceeded to concede that (1) Obama did it, too, (2) our processing of asylum cases has been overwhelmed by a huge influx coupled with inefficiency, (3) many of those asylum cases are not genuine, (4) the Flores decision exacerbates the problem and can’t be legislatively fixed, (5) the GOP can’t fix the problem without assistance from the Dems, which they won’t give, (6) this all puts Trump in a tough spot of choosing between mass detention and mass catch and release, and (7) this creates an incentive to bring children on the dangerous journey north.

Which is all true, but utterly belies the first two paragraphs. The piece then pivots back and forth a few more times. Fascinating reading.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
do you know who Andrew Sullivan is?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Not really, based on articles like the above. He’s been variously described as conservative and liberal. He’s certainly not the former. He might suffer from bipolar political syndrome.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

he tried to pass bret stephens off as a liberal ny times columnist a while back.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Trump owns the conservative/republican brand these days.  If he (and his supporters) decide someone is not conservative then they are no longer conservative.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick

he tried to pass bret stephens off as a liberal ny times columnist a while back.

The lead singer from poison?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Sullivan is a nevertrumper neocon. Libtards hated him and called him stupid and ignorant and nazi until he revealed himself as a nevertrumper. Now they love him, just like frum.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
as usual, ksuw and fsd seem to have a good solid grasp on all the relevant facts.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sys, what is your take on the Mexican govt’s responsibility in all this?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

please clarify your question.  responsibility for what and in what way?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
that's a pretty good article and doesn't even get into the issue of the US meddling in Central American politics.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

please clarify your question.  responsibility for what and in what way?

For allowing a humanitarian crisis on their borders by not providing safe haven for these people.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
fairly large numbers of central americans do immigrate to mexico.

mexico has no responsibility to assist the us with our immigration policy.  we've spent the last two year shitting on them, obviously they aren't going to help us.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
that's a pretty good article and doesn't even get into the issue of the US meddling in Central American politics.

"meddling"

lol

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
fairly large numbers of central americans do immigrate to mexico.

mexico has no responsibility to assist the us with our immigration policy.  we've spent the last two year shitting on them, obviously they aren't going to help us.

Yea they obviously have no incentive to help us but it appears to be coming st the expense of these people

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

"meddling"

lol

well yeah. reading up on Ike's Guatemalan coup is pretty disgusting.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yea they obviously have no incentive to help us but it appears to be coming st the expense of these people

they do have a responsibility to maintain a safe environment for mexican citizens as well as other persons linving in or visiting mexico.  they have not been doing well at this.