Author Topic: 9-3  (Read 19463 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 9-3
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »

MiR, how can you imply we didn't compete for a championship when we played for a championship on the last game of the regular season.

I'm absolutely ok with seasons like this for a long ass time.

I wasn't trying to imply that we didn't complete for a championship. We beat, killed actually, all of the bad teams but we are no where close to the quality needed to win any of the power 5 conferences. We are good enough to be in the conversation, not even close to good enough to finish the job.

Again, we played for a championship on the last game of the regular season. How much closer to the quality needed to win a power 5 conference can you be without actually winning?

We had no chance of winning either of those games. We were as close this year as we were in 2010.

I'm fine with most of what you have said, but this statement was absolute BS:

If this is our standard lets go ahead and give up now because this is a slippery slope that leads to iowa state.

I don't know if you were baiting wacky or whatever, but this is absolutely not true. Being satisfied with three 9+ win seasons in 4 years and having the best record in the Big 12 against conference opponents during that is not settling for apathetic standards whatsoever and to imply those that do so are the equivalent of ISU fans and keeping their loser coach is dumb.

I don't troll people.

Did you miss the part where I said "slippery slope to Iowa State" or did you just see Iowa State? If you become good with 9-3 because thats all K-State can be then you will rationalize 7 wins soon enough, hence slippery slope.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

MiR, how can you imply we didn't compete for a championship when we played for a championship on the last game of the regular season.

I wasn't trying to imply that we didn't complete for a championship. We beat, killed actually, all of the bad teams but we are no where close to the quality needed to win any of the power 5 conferences. We are good enough to be in the conversation, not even close to good enough to finish the job.

Again, we played for a championship on the last game of the regular season. How much closer to the quality needed to win a power 5 conference can you be without actually winning?

We had no chance of winning either of those games. We were as close this year as we were in 2010.

If this is our standard lets go ahead and give up now because this is a slippery slope that leads to iowa state.

I don't know if you were baiting wacky or whatever, but this is absolutely not true. Being satisfied with three 9+ win seasons in 4 years and having the best record in the Big 12 against conference opponents during that is not settling for apathetic standards whatsoever and to imply those that do so are the equivalent of ISU fans and keeping their loser coach is dumb.

I don't troll people.

Did you miss the part where I said "slippery slope to Iowa State" or did you just see Iowa State? If you become good with 9-3 because thats all K-State can be then you will rationalize 7 wins soon enough, hence slippery slope.

You can be ok with 9-3 and also know KSU can do better because we did better twice in the previous three years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »

I don't troll people.

You can be ok with 9-3 and also know KSU can do better because we did better twice in the previous three years.

Damnit guys, no one is mad about 9-3, we don't like having a program that seemingly can't compete with Baylor. People like me who are mad would still be mad if we were 10-2 because we seem to be a mile away from the class of the conference and fading.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
The problem with your argument is that we can compete with Baylor. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »

How is that a problem my argument when we haven't done that? My observation is based on current reality yours is based on hope.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »
It's weird to only be happy with a national championship, because if you were a k state fan there would never be a time when you are happy, ever.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
It's weird to only be happy with a national championship, because if you were a k state fan there would never be a time when you are happy, ever.

mocat do you really think anyone is saying that, seriously? Smart people saying really stupid things right now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »

How is that a problem my argument when we haven't done that? My observation is based on current reality yours is based on hope.

We won the league two years ago and in all honesty could have beaten them this year to win the league. To me, that's competing, but I guess to you it's not.

catzacker

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
I think it is ok to be happy with 9-3 but not happy because "hey it's better than being isu" or "hey, i'd take it over 04 and 05".  Set expectations and live up to them.  The fear is that if your comparison is to crap, your expectations or level of acceptance becomes lower and lower. I dunno.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »

I don't troll people.

Yes, I think it's illogical to think that having a 9 win standard will lead to rationalizing 7 wins and becoming ISU. Your logic makes a gigantic leap with that assumption IMHO.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »
I think it is ok to be happy with 9-3 but not happy because "hey it's better than being isu" or "hey, i'd take it over 04 and 05".  Set expectations and live up to them.  The fear is that if your comparison is to crap, your expectations or level of acceptance becomes lower and lower. I dunno.

My comparison is to a) our league and b) college football as a whole. I've been consistent(with hoops too) in wanting to be top 1/3 of the league as a standard. Do that and you will likely be top 25 in the country. But yeah, to say "at least we're better than 04 or 05" is dumb.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »

I don't troll people.

Yes, I think it's illogical to think that having a 9 win standard will lead to rationalizing 7 wins and becoming ISU. Your logic makes a gigantic leap with that assumption IMHO.

The standard of excellence in sports is well established, it seems as if many people have already resigned themselves that is not attainable for  K-State so now we're down to hoping for 10 wins and a shot at a chance at the Big 12 championship. When that becomes tough then the expectations get altered again. You don't like my Iowa State example, fine. Use K-State basketball from Hartman to now as an example of fans changing expectations on a program and its affect.

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

It seems pretty unlikely that Baylor will be able to find QBs like RG3 and Petty every year.  I mean...when is the last time recruiting-juggernaut-of-yore UT recruited a QB as good as Petty?  Petty graduating = Baylor coming back to earth, IMO.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
Yes, basketball standards (including my own) became awful with the rise of football leading to the terrible Wooly years. I honestly think we are past that, and if Weber continues down the road this season is headed he won't be here many more seasons. Same thing should be in football.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »

It seems pretty unlikely that Baylor will be able to find QBs like RG3 and Petty every year.  I mean...when is the last time recruiting-juggernaut-of-yore UT recruited a QB as good as Petty?  Petty graduating = Baylor coming back to earth, IMO.

Baylor has been Baylor for long enough not to be marginalized. We know Briles is a great coach. I don't want to be like KU fans waiting for him to leave or die. We've beaten Baylor once in a decade.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »
Frankly this all is neither here nor there because this conversation boils down to LHC Bill Snyder's philosophy on how the program should be ran. This conversation ceases to be in a year at most.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »
who knew "not bad" was such a bomb throwing type reaction

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
Ok guys if I'm not satisfied with 9 and 3 what course of action do I take?  Stop buying tickets or watching on TV or donating money or what?  Or just sit here with my thumb up my not satisfied butt? 

Sent using Tapatalk Elite on iPhone 6

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »

I don't troll people.

The standard of excellence in sports is well established, it seems as if many people have already resigned themselves that is not attainable for  K-State so now we're down to hoping for 10 wins and a shot at a chance at the Big 12 championship. When that becomes tough then the expectations get altered again. You don't like my Iowa State example, fine. Use K-State basketball from Hartman to now as an example of fans changing expectations on a program and its affect.

I think it's reasonable to expect a shot at a NC every decade or so, and then to choke in the final game or two.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »

happiness = reality - expectations

essential equation for any cats fan

This.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
9-3 seasons are fine if the product on the field would lead me to believe that we can compete and win against the best teams.  From what I saw against Baylor and TCU, we can't.  I know the Baylor game looked close from a scoring perspective but I don't see how you can watch that game and not come away thinking Baylor is in another league and would win 9 out of 10 games against us. 
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
9-3 seasons are fine if the product on the field would lead me to believe that we can compete and win against the best teams.  From what I saw against Baylor and TCU, we can't.  I know the Baylor game looked close from a scoring perspective but I don't see how you can watch that game and not come away thinking Baylor is in another league and would win 9 out of 10 games against us.
I know how you can. TCU boat raced us. The other two were winnable.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
We have landed the best recruiting class in Bill 2.0 last year. We are currently on the verge of having a better one this year. I think we are progressing, I think we should be happy with the trend.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »
Scoffing at .750 is silly.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
One stud; 9-3. I mean, LHCBS really is amazing. Three studs, possible national championship.

You really think we were two more players from being 11-1? Because I feel like we were closer to 7-5

We weren't anywhere near 7-5... Maybe 8-4 because the OU game was close af and we had a top 20 SEC team in the OOC, but otherwise we just destroyed everybody else we played that we didn't lose to.

Auburn and Baylor were winnable games with a few breaks/bounces, or if we had a couple more legitimate studs.  How close do you think this team would be to 11-1 if Arthur Brown Jr on the defense and Daniel Thomas in the backfield?
bears are fast...