Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 330499 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1275 on: May 04, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »
Fedor you have a gambling problem
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 04, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »
Fedor you have a gambling problem
I have x5+ the rest of my investments so it was a temporary setback.  Poor timing more than anything, one of them is (almost) back in the black already.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 04, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »
Gold is going to be good for a while.  The other precious metals usually follow gold, so I think silver is getting hot now too but I don't follow silver.
Looks like silver is about 2 months behind gold, so I am only one month late.  :Crybaby:
Also apparently copper sucks all the time.
Maybe you could tell me when gold goes in the crapper and I could jump in and make bank and we all party?

Buy low sell high is a joke.  Buy high sell higher is the way.
Last year I bought high - watch in horror as it plunges to 52 week lows in a week. Twice. 
So you could say I am a little risk averse right now.

Sell stops dude.
Longer term one of them should work out fine, the other I am not so sure.   :ohno: :pray:

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »

I found that SPY is a fund that tries to mirror the DOW.  The graphs are right on top of each other.  I guess it does not get any more index than that.

S&P 500 but whatevs

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
Gold is going to be good for a while.  The other precious metals usually follow gold, so I think silver is getting hot now too but I don't follow silver.
Looks like silver is about 2 months behind gold, so I am only one month late.  :Crybaby:
Also apparently copper sucks all the time.
Maybe you could tell me when gold goes in the crapper and I could jump in and make bank and we all party?

Buy low sell high is a joke.  Buy high sell higher is the way.
Last year I bought high - watch in horror as it plunges to 52 week lows in a week. Twice. 
So you could say I am a little risk averse right now.

Sell stops dude.
Longer term one of them should work out fine, the other I am not so sure.   :ohno: :pray:

A real addict would double down.   :fatty:

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 04, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »

I found that SPY is a fund that tries to mirror the DOW.  The graphs are right on top of each other.  I guess it does not get any more index than that.

S&P 500 but whatevs
yah,  :cheers:

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 04, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »

S&P 500 but whatevs
yah,  :cheers:

SPY is for all the fools that don't know about VOO.

Better company and the lowest fees in the biz.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 17, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »
Just switched to 100% stocks allocation in my portfolio, because eff bonds, right?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 17, 2016, 10:17:22 AM »
Just switched to 100% stocks allocation in my portfolio, because eff bonds, right?
Yes, eff bonds.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 17, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »

If you're young and don't mind volatility, then that's a relatively decent play.

Rising interest rates are bad for bond prices.  Interest rates are more likely to increase than decrease from here. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 17, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »
if you're young, catastrophe, you might want to consider going 125% or so stocks.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: May 17, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
if you're young, catastrophe, you might want to consider going 125% or so stocks.
Solid advice.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 18, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »
Interest rate hike in June.  :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 18, 2016, 02:04:06 PM »
Interest rate hike in June.  :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:
What the hell is up with the Fed signaling that they may take 2-3 hikes this year? Talk about influencing the market.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 18, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
What the hell is up with the Fed signaling that they may take 2-3 hikes this year? Talk about influencing the market.

Since the financial crisis, the Fed has felt it is important to be clear about what they're thinking and the likely path of interest rate normalization.  The practice started with Bernanke and Yellen likes it and plans to keep it going. 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: May 18, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »

Since the financial crisis, the Fed has felt it is important to be clear about what they're thinking and the likely path of interest rate normalization.  The practice started with Bernanke and Yellen likes it and plans to keep it going.
Yes, but mentioning the possibility of 2 or 3 seems a bit much.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 18, 2016, 02:45:31 PM »

The guidance they were giving coming into the year was 3-5 hikes.  They lowered it based upon economic conditions.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 18, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »

The guidance they were giving coming into the year was 3-5 hikes.  They lowered it based upon economic conditions.
SAME DIFFERENCE!!!! WHY ARE THEY TELLING US THAT THEY ARE GOING TO EFF THE MARKETS UP XXXX# OF TIMES SO FAR IN ADVANCE!!!!

Good grief, you should just start saying "y'all"

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 18, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »
SAME DIFFERENCE!!!! WHY ARE THEY TELLING US THAT THEY ARE GOING TO EFF THE MARKETS UP XXXX# OF TIMES SO FAR IN ADVANCE!!!!

The Fed offering guidance on the path of interest rates doesn't eff up the markets. 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 18, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »

The Fed offering guidance on the path of interest rates doesn't eff up the markets.
Then why does Wall Street give a crap?http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/economy/fed-minutes-april/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 18, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »

Then why does Wall Street give a crap?http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/news/economy/fed-minutes-april/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

The path of interest rates is more important that the absolute level of rates when rates are this low.  Having an idea of what the Fed is going to do is huge if you are a fixed income investor.  Pension plans, banks, insurance companies, and retail bond investors need to understand how/when the Fed is going to act so they don't end up having to sell things when they don't want to (losses, liquidity needs, etc.).

Also, attributing daily price movements with news that day is a bad idea.  Day to day movements in markets are noise.  There can be news that drives meaningful movements but, by and large, news doesn't drive daily price action. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 18, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
The market always takes a dip when they announce rate hikes. I'm not quite sure why, though.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: May 18, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »
The market always takes a dip when they announce rate hikes. I'm not quite sure why, though.

Interest rate sensitive securities drive that.

For example, let's look at a perpetual preferred 6% ($100 par) share.  The theoretical value is the dividend divided by your discount rate.  Given that a preferred isn't a riskless security like a Treasury, we need to add a spread to the risk free rate.  So the 10 Year US Treasury currently yields 1.85%.  Let's add an arbitrary 300 basis point spread for a risk premium.  So 6/0.0485=$123.71 (theoretical value, not what it is actually trading at).  Now, let's imagine that the Fed hikes rates by 1% and the 10 year goes to 2.85%.  Keeping the same spread, that preferred's theoretical value is now 6/0.0585=$102.56.

REITs, preferreds, some dividend payers are extremely sensitive to interest rate changes.

Fixed income buyers also get hit as yields and prices are inversely related.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 18, 2016, 04:09:12 PM »

Interest rate sensitive securities drive that.

For example, let's look at a perpetual preferred 6% ($100 par) share.  The theoretical value is the dividend divided by your discount rate.  Given that a preferred isn't a riskless security like a Treasury, we need to add a spread to the risk free rate.  So the 10 Year US Treasury currently yields 1.85%.  Let's add an arbitrary 300 basis point spread for a risk premium.  So 6/0.0485=$123.71 (theoretical value, not what it is actually trading at).  Now, let's imagine that the Fed hikes rates by 1% and the 10 year goes to 2.85%.  Keeping the same spread, that preferred's theoretical value is now 6/0.0585=$102.56.

REITs, preferreds, some dividend payers are extremely sensitive to interest rate changes.

Fixed income buyers also get hit as yields and prices are inversely related.
If I just send you $100,000, how quickly will you turn it into a million, after your cut?

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: May 18, 2016, 04:10:15 PM »

Also, the reason for the hike matters. 

If we're early in the business cycle (we're not right now) then that could mean inflation is picking up faster than the central bank wants because the economy is doing awesome.  A rate hike in that scenario should be positive for equities because they should benefit from better economic circumstances.  If it's late in the cycle (like we are now), then rate hikes are good and bad.  They're good because it means that the bank feels like they are controlling inflation.  They're bad because it means that we have a higher probability for recession in that scenario.

This cycle is very different than any that anyone living has been through.  We've not had rates this low for this long ever during actual investor lifetimes.  The Fed is desperate to get rates up so they have an ability to meaningfully cut them if the economy starts to do poorly.