Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1302290 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )
« Reply #17400 on: April 11, 2024, 08:03:37 AM »
yeah would love to take my daughter to a spurs game, but probably not until she's older, soccer culture is so much different over there.  sporting games is like 50/50 men/women and about 20% or so are kids, the only kids you see at premier league matches are the ones flipping off and cussing at the cameras.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17401 on: April 11, 2024, 08:42:20 AM »
Arteta finished 8th and 8th his first two seasons.
Haha yep
Is anyone here implying that Ten Hag will even bring a coherent team set up in the same universe as Arteta? I know no one is saying he is as good a coach as Arteta, but he doesn’t even seem to have much of a plan.

I saw that he had 29 different lineups for 34 games so far this year. Of course they have had injuries, but that is not all of it.

Their midfield is an enormous problem, Casemeiro is very old and slow, but he also is either being asked to be like 30-40 yards further up field than at Madrid or he has taken it upon himself. I think think based upon the runs McTominay was making when he was getting goals it is part of Ten Hag’s philosophy. But this indicates a complete unwillingness to compromise based upon his teams personnel.

They need a striker, they need at least one holding midfielder, they probably need another full back and possibly another central defender.

Wan Bissaka looks worse, Luke Shaw is great, but Dalot is terrible and they don’t have a center back pairing that has worked well at all (although having zero midfield protection doesn’t help). I think Martinez is very good, but he needs someone else that will cover his weaknesses. He can get caught out ball hunting and he’s small. Harry McGuire has looked the part recently, so maybe it is him?? Varane needs a rehab facility named after him. Lindelof is an ok utility man, but can’t be the answer to start week in week out at center back.

So besides the fact that they don’t have any coherent philosophy, they have a squad that conservatively has 2-3 gaping holes and while they are 6th they still have a negative goal differential and look miles off the top 4.

So other than all that, great comparison.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... [emoji2] )
« Reply #17402 on: April 13, 2024, 12:06:48 PM »
Man U’s defense is so hilariously bad. Like watching a pick up game. 

They are must watch because there are so many chances.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17403 on: April 13, 2024, 01:17:47 PM »
Casameiro is a waste of space. Bruno not only scored both goals but is the only midfielder that presses and tracks back in time consistently.

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17404 on: April 13, 2024, 01:40:10 PM »
Yeah, Casemiro is just finished and it happened so fast. Insane dropoff in form from last season to now. A replacement for him and a new CB to partner with Martinez next season should be the first priorities.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... [emoji2] )
« Reply #17405 on: April 13, 2024, 03:22:04 PM »
Yeah, Casemiro is just finished and it happened so fast. Insane dropoff in form from last season to now. A replacement for him and a new CB to partner with Martinez next season should be the first priorities.
I saw him multiple times in the opposition 18 and if Bournemouth played one more pass the back 4 would have been completely exposed again. I understand Bruno dropping deep to get space and pick a pass I don’t understand why you would ask the slowest man in England who is supposed to provide defensive cover to be 40-50 yard further up field when he won’t even be able to put a body on anyone to stop a counter. Again, that is on Ten Hag.