Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4053119 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29675 on: December 01, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »
I agree they will likely be the WWL for the foreseable future but ESPN will feel the pain of this transition in media more than most,  especially since they have the Disney people holding their feet to the fire. 

The Newscorp (Fox & FS1, etc) thing is interesting.  FS1 really only has stuff ESPN didn't want or couldn't have since I think the Big East was never signing a deal with ESPN after the way Pitt and Syracuse left.  My guess is Fox just didn't want to overpay enough to make the Big 12, Pac or whomever completely give up any coverage on ESPN and that looks wise at this point. 

Pan prolly knows this off the top of his head, which conference rights come up first?  I want to say it is the Big 12  :ohno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29676 on: December 01, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
Pac 12 actually

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29677 on: December 01, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »
a little hot tip for you cool guys:  have watchespn or fsgo on the boobtube and put the other on your computer for maximum consumption and efficiency.

A very common thing for me is to have a Fox game on TV, a game on FS Go on my iPad, and then the four box screen on my laptop for WatchESPN.

It's pretty awesome, especially in the non-con.
holy cow!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29678 on: December 01, 2016, 05:10:01 PM »
I love cable. having 40 different places to go to watch crap seems like a massive PITA and not worth it. I just tell cox to throw in everything and let god sort them out.
Yep, I perfectly fine with throwing money at it to not have to go to all the different places. One box and one remote.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29679 on: December 04, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
I really wish the Big 12 would implode just to get away from Bowlsby.  He is just such a terrible leader and is going to eff the conference. 
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18201632/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-wants-clarity-non-league-champion-ohio-state-buckeyes-washington-huskies-make-playoff

Also I think it would be hilarious if a school that gets left out of the playoffs, like a PSU, decided to sue everyone under the sun just to eff with the playoff system.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29680 on: December 04, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »
Pac 12 actually

Big Ten 2023
Pac 12 2024
Big 12 2025
SEC 2030
ACC 2035

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29681 on: December 04, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
Though to get more money, I wouldn't be surprised to see an extension to the deal (when they negotiate the pro rata clause and CCG) to match the LHN agreement.  I think that's up in 2030?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29682 on: December 04, 2016, 07:24:55 PM »
I know he has a tough job to do, but he sounds clueless.  He has no clue how to cultivate his image nor any clue that his image reflects on the conference.  After the 3rd year, he's still asking what the criteria are, as if the selection process is a flow chart that 12 people are forced into.  He's asking for an algorithm that doesn't exist.  If it existed we wouldn't need a committee.

He wasted a lot of time and money commissioning studies to calculate something that doesn't exist and now he sounds like he's complaining that the committee didn't follow the process his consultants reverse engineered for a high fee.

Any rational person knows you can't predict what the committee is going to do year-to-year.  The committee has gone from 13 to 12 and only 7 of the original 13 are still on it.  3 more are rolling off next year.  The committee are going to watch the games and pick the 4 teams they think are the best.  They will then trot out an AD that is not a publicist to say whatever they can to defend their rankings.  I don't mean that in a conspiracy way.  It's just human nature.  With the constantly rolling committee, of course the criteria are going to change year-to-year. 

He's asking what the committee is going to do in the future because it appears the criteria has changed since 2014.  Even if he gets an answer, it won't matter going forward because next year there will only be 4 of the 13 committee members left from 2014.  It's like he's trying to drop a card 3 feet off the ground over a target, seeing it landed 12 inches to the left so he moved his arm 12 inches right and dropped another card, then complained to the air "why didn't that one hit dead on?" 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:31:58 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29683 on: December 04, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »
It's pretty simple, but I think Bob believes in the bullshit that was sold at the outset.

All of the stuff about championships and the like is horseshit. ESPN paid billions for this thing, and they need Ohio State in there.   The only reason Michigan isn't is because there would have been a revolt had three of the five P5 champs been left out.

Washington shows what you have to do if you aren't one of the ten or so helmet schools. You have to win 12 games. Even Clemson fits that profile to a degree.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29684 on: December 04, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
I know he has a tough job to do, but he sounds clueless.  He has no clue how to cultivate his image nor any clue that his image reflects on the conference.  After the 3rd year, he's still asking what the criteria are, as if the selection process is a flow chart that 12 people are forced into.  He's asking for an algorithm that doesn't exist.  If it existed we wouldn't need a committee.

He wasted a lot of time and money commissioning studies to calculate something that doesn't exist and now he sounds like he's complaining that the committee didn't follow the process his consultants reverse engineered for a high fee.

Any rational person knows you can't predict what the committee is going to do year-to-year.  The committee has gone from 13 to 12 and only 7 of the original 13 are still on it.  3 more are rolling off next year.  The committee are going to watch the games and pick the 4 teams they are the best.  They will then trot out an AD that is not a publicist to say whatever they can to defend their rankings.  I don't mean that in a conspiracy way.  It's just human nature.  With the constantly rolling committee, of course the criteria is going to change year-to-year. 

He's asking what the committee is going to do in the future because it appears the criteria has changed since 2014.  Even if he gets an answer, it won't matter going forward because next year there will only be 4 of the 13 committee members left from 2014.  It's like he's trying to drop a card 3 feet off the ground over a target, seeing it landed 12 inches to the left so he moved his arm 12 inches right, then complained to the air "why didn't that one hit dead on?" 

The other moving target as well is the constantly changing records and who's who of college football at the end of the season. Some years might have 5 undefeated teams, some years might have none, and there will be a whole slew of 1 loss teams in between, and there might even be a day where a 2 loss teams gets in is there are not a lot of 1 loss teams.

The situation from the big 10 that happened this year is not that unlikely and the Big 12 adding a CCG will probably hurt the conference as many times as it will help. There will be a time when an undefeated team enters the CCG and loses to a 2-loss 2nd place team and the Big 12 might be left out for it, or even more likely a 11-1 teams loses to a 10-2 team. There will also be a time where the Big 12 finished with two or 3 11-1 teams and the CCG will give 1 of those teams a most certain and necessary boost to get into the playoff.

Bowlsby though, like so many other dunderheaded decisions and moves made by this conference in it's history, let alone this year (Adding CCG, Bowen's dumbass shooting off about expansion, going through the interview process of expansion, and then not doing expansion, and now this) only shows that the Big 12 suffers from the paralysis of analysis, and it's inability to make a strong decision or even ability to even follow through on any decision shows how disadvantaged and rudderless this conference is. While I still think there is a future for the Big 12, I totally get why certain schools left in the first place, and why others are chaffing under the system.

Bowlsby needs to learn when and how to STFU.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29685 on: December 04, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »
It's pretty simple, but I think Bob believes in the bullshit that was sold at the outset.

All of the stuff about championships and the like is horseshit. ESPN paid billions for this thing, and they need Ohio State in there.   The only reason Michigan isn't is because there would have been a revolt had three of the five P5 champs been left out.

Washington shows what you have to do if you aren't one of the ten or so helmet schools. You have to win 12 games. Even Clemson fits that profile to a degree.

The ESPM thing might be true.  However, you don't even have to go to that extreme.  I don't think it was that far.  I think Barry Alvarez and Tom Osborne watched Ohio State 59-0 Wisconson and thought "our conference is pretty good, Wisconsin is pretty good, and someone that 59-0'd that Wisconsin team in our conference's championship has to be in."  They convinced enough of the rest of the committee the same and leveraged "Ohio State looks better than Baylor, and they were effectively the the B12 champ, so we need to rank tOSU-Bay-TCU 4-5-6.

Even if you look at it purely from that much less greedy conspiracy theory, it's still stupid to commission studies and actually think that's how it's going to be going forward. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:02:59 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29686 on: December 04, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »

That's what the BCS was about also.  Need big schools for big shows; it's all about money.  It's a business pretending to be a sport.  CFP
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29687 on: December 04, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »

That's what the BCS was about also.  Need big schools for big shows; it's all about money.  It's a business pretending to be a sport.  CFP

At least with the BCS formula there were some computer rankings to minimize some of the obvious biases of the committee, mostly their desire for big name programs.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29688 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »
Instead of looking clueless, he should simply state that this is why it should be an 8 team playoff with conference champs autos. Clear defined paths. Committee can pick the other 3, maybe make a G5 team mandatory of the other 3.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29689 on: December 05, 2016, 02:15:04 AM »
Instead of looking clueless, he should simply state that this is why it should be an 8 team playoff with conference champs autos. Clear defined paths. Committee can pick the other 3, maybe make a G5 team mandatory of the other 3.

To be honest, if it were The following schools, would anyone be pissed?

Alabama (Champ)
Clemson (Champ)
Ohio State (At Large)
Washington (Champ)
Penn State (Champ)
Michigan (At Large)
Oklahoma (Champ)
Western Michigan (G5)

First round is played next weekend (Friday/Saturday) at the higher ranked site.
Bama vs. WMU (Friday night)
Clemson vs. OU (Saturday noon)
OSU vs. Michigan (Saturday night)
UW vs. Washington (Saturday mid afternoon)

Then they play the bowl games as scheduled.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29690 on: December 05, 2016, 06:23:18 AM »
I agree that the first round be held at home team site.  I would say that they should have to offer 25% of tickets to opposing team too.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29691 on: December 05, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »
It will take a while to get there, but it does seem that the 8-team playoff is inevitable.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29692 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
It will take a while to get there, but it does seem that the 8-team playoff is inevitable.
Of course it is. I immediately know someone is a dipshit of they think otherwise. When has anyone known tv/ncaa/individual universities to turn  down gobs of money?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29693 on: December 05, 2016, 09:04:13 AM »
I think SEC or B10 will have to be left out for the 8 team to gain any real traction.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29694 on: December 05, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
I am absolutely the biggest Western Michigan fan on this blog, they would have no business in an eight team playoff. This isn't vintage Boise, Utah, TCU.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29695 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
I am absolutely the biggest Western Michigan fan on this blog, they would have no business in an eight team playoff. This isn't vintage Boise, Utah, TCU.

They'll continue to throw a bone at a G5 team.  Also, someone will enjoy the first round bye most years.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29696 on: December 05, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »
I think Western Michigan deserves a spot in an 8 team playoff. They are undefeated. What more could they have done?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29697 on: December 05, 2016, 09:34:59 AM »
I think SEC or B10 will have to be left out for the 8 team to gain any real traction.

This kinda happened to the Big 10 this year, if we had eight they get three of the teams.

They'll continue to throw a bone at a G5 team.  Also, someone will enjoy the first round bye most years.

Not at eight they wouldn't, maybe at 12 but they aren't just automatically giving a random G5 team one of three precious spots. Lets say WMU lost a random MAC game, do you really think or want a 12-1 WMU or a 10-3 Temple in an eight team playoff?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29698 on: December 05, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
Of course it is. I immediately know someone is a dipshit of they think otherwise. When has anyone known tv/ncaa/individual universities to turn  down gobs of money?

The question is can you stay at a 12 game schedule, keep the CCGs, & keep the Orange/Sugar/Rose bowl setups in addition to the extra round?  The conf champ games are worth $30-$40mm per conference.  Those bowls are worth $40mm for each conf, plus either the BigTen or SEC get an additional $27mm when in the Orange. 

That's a lot of money going directly to the power 5.  You start removing/devaluing those and replace them with $$$ that you might have to share more, then those extra 4 games have to be worth a lot.  I'm not sure quarterfinal games are worth more collectively than reduced value CCGs and Rose/Orange/Sugar bowls.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29699 on: December 05, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
I think Western Michigan deserves a spot in an 8 team playoff. They are undefeated. What more could they have done?

Schedule better. Their schedule is atrocious and they don't pass the eye test when compared to the best teams in the country either. They are 7-5 playing a schedule in the AAC.