Author Topic: 2-0 this week!  (Read 10252 times)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2-0 this week!
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »
Giving a crap about what Steve Prohm thinks of K-State's coach is at the bottom the list of gaf's I care about when it comes to evaluating our current coach. It's just an additional crutch for saying I hate oscar Weber. Like MIR said.

Again, that's not the issue in itself. The issue is that oscar has a hard time getting along with people, because he's awkward as crap. It's the reason that he gets so much flack except when he's winning at a high level. He's a hard guy to like. And that's not great as a coach.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:35 AM »
WC, I don't think its insignificant that oscar says dumb crap to the media constantly, gets under people's skin, and is annoying and kind of a weirdo. Everyday when I listen to 810 in the morning they're playing that "ASK FRAN FRISCILLA" clip with a bunch of har har chuckle chuckles. Most people are kind of laughing at him behind his back. He's repping the school not just with the hoops team but with his entire demeanor and actions and words. In a business like this, likability is a factor. So sure, I'm not bothered by Scott Drew's opinion of our coach, but its still an interesting and frankly believable nugget of info.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
Oh, I totally get it. I just haven't seen it effect his recruiting. That would be my #1 concern of having an unlikable coach. I mean, he's no Calipari, but he's brought in a lot of enjoyable pieces that I've enjoyed watching.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
A lot of fans like to pretend some of these factors don't matter when it comes to coaches getting and maintaining jobs. But winning, having integrity, being likable, avoiding scandal, winning against rival teams, connecting with fans, being media savvy, and several other things are all factors. So maybe likability is 2% of what matters in a coach getting or keeping a job, maybe its 10%, but it matters. If you're really good at one factor (like Self with winning) then it will cover up factors you're not so good at (Self with integrity). oscar's issue is he's losing equity on winning and doesn't have equity in the likability factor with lots of fans to cover up other issues.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »
Oh, I totally get it. I just haven't seen it effect his recruiting. That would be my #1 concern of having an unlikable coach. I mean, he's no Calipari, but he's brought in a lot of enjoyable pieces that I've enjoyed watching.

i get that, but it matters to me if fans and media like him too, not just recruits.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2018, 11:16:22 AM »
is the contention that somehow coaches are different than literally every other human on the planet and oblivious to what a clown oscar is?

weird take imo

also weird is the idea that it’s oscar that’s landing these kids.  my guess is that we sign some talent despite brucey.   but let’s not pretend this staff is a group of recruitering all stars, there’s a semblance of talent that’s going to sign at a p5 w/ our facilities, independent of the coach

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
when you factor in the whining, the blaming everyone but himself, the unlikableness, and the lack of tournament success, i just don't understand how anyone could be on team oscar after this long, when i can look at missouri and how they went from complete crap dumbster fire to a more exciting team than us in one offseason.  i would rather roll the dice and try something new that might pan out/might not, than roll with some dork that is mediocre at best af.

Offline KanSt43

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2018, 11:38:47 AM »
I really think oscar could be a really solid guy for a MVC conference team, maybe American, A-10, whatever....But Big 12 just doesn't work. I think players like him, but he's such an odd dude, to me, it'd be difficult to play for a guy like him. But you get what you get with him. K-State will never be anything but a bubble team with oscar and there really is no other way to slice it. I do think the guy can coach. But not consistently at this level. Once people (oscar supporters) realize this, basketball can possibly become watchable again. Bubble expectations. Upset a team here and there. Mediocre. That's about it.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
when you factor in the whining, the blaming everyone but himself, the unlikableness, and the lack of tournament success, i just don't understand how anyone could be on team oscar after this long, when i can look at missouri and how they went from complete crap dumbster fire to a more exciting team than us in one offseason.  i would rather roll the dice and try something new that might pan out/might not, than roll with some dork that is mediocre at best af.

Yes.  This is the correct point of view.  Also factor in the fact that oscar has been on this trajectory before.  This has played out.  We know the ending.  Why wait for the inevitable?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »

Yes.  This is the correct point of view.  Also factor in the fact that oscar has been on this trajectory before.  This has played out.  We know the ending.  Why wait for the inevitable?

well, we're already at the inevitable and still not doing crap about it. which is a bigger issue. I mean, not bigger than starting down the inevitability path to here but bigger in that we're now stuck on it and won't get off.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
too many hatingfranciscos and wackycats in our fanbase (no offense wacky)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
That's fine if you want a temporary fix, but don't give me that shitty example of Cuonzo Martin for long term. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuonzo_Martin

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
i would take Cuonzo over oscar right now, yesterday, tomorrow, etc

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2018, 01:06:26 PM »
I just think big picture. No AD in their right mind is going to fire a guy after going 4 for 6 in tourney appearances and a Big 12 'ship. Not because he doesn't think we can do better, but because knows no legit coach in their right mind would want to put themselves in that type of environment.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
Yeah, because he latched himself to a few stallions that will run it's course in the next 2 years.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »
 :lol:

if a coach sees we held onto this loser for 6 years, they would probably think they could retire here

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
Yeah, because he latched himself to a few stallions that will run it's course in the next 2 years.
I would take Cuonzo especially since according to Wikipedia he was NCAA tournament champs last year.  :buh-bye:
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »

maybe/maybe not, at least they have reason for optimism, where is our optimism?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2018, 01:13:26 PM »
2-0 this week!  :)

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
:lol:

if a coach sees we held onto this loser for 6 years, they would probably think they could retire here

No kidding

"I see they fired that oscar Weber guy, that's kind of a shocker isn't it....

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »
I just think big picture. No AD in their right mind is going to fire a guy after going 4 for 6 in tourney appearances and a Big 12 'ship. Not because he doesn't think we can do better, but because knows no legit coach in their right mind would want to put themselves in that type of environment.
Is the idea here that other coaches would look at that stat and be like, "welp not going there"?

They wouldn't consider that the "'ship" was a shared one while losing 3 times to the other sharer (in year one with players not recruited by him), the NCAA tournaments didn't include a round of 32 appearance, and hadn't finished in the top half of the conference since year two?

Come on. Other coaches just aren't that dumb.

:adios:

Offline KSUfan8

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »
11-13 at home in Big 12 play in the past 3 years is definitely enough evidence of a trend.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »
5-14 overall the last 3 Bruceuary's

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
I didn't know other coaches not liking oscar was a thing. Is that a thing?

No, it isn't a thing. Remember when the #BIDers pitched a crap fit when he was hired because Currie used the recommendations of current and former coaches to hire the dude? Frank didn't get along with Mike Anderson, I bet they hated each other a lot more than oscar and Bill do. You also don't think the other coaches weren't envious/pissed privately about how Frank was allowed to behave and gave the media eat it up? We know McNeck was feeding Sean Keeler negative crap about Frank.

These are competitive people in a job where beating your peers keeps you employed, of course there's going to be some level of dislike within those guys. oscar's good guy rep obviously comes from his peers. You can be nice and weird, several of you people are.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2018, 05:06:43 PM »
Tom Izzo is a fan.