Author Topic: Tear it down!!! It huuuuurts my wittle feelings.  (Read 19508 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Tear it down!!! It huuuuurts my wittle feelings.
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
Why certain municipalities have statues dedicated to traitors who raised arms against the Republic and killed American soldiers is beyond me.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
@Confederate Statue, Monument, Names Matter.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Why certain municipalities have statues dedicated to traitors who raised arms against the Republic and killed American soldiers is beyond me.

I think we could all use a little more historical knowledge before making comments like this.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
Wichita should put up a statue of that abortion doc...sure nobody down there would have a problem with that.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »

I think we could all use a little more historical knowledge before making comments like this.

Please.  I have been a student of the Civil War since my father sat me down in grade school and made me watch the entire Ken Burns series.

I understand that many of these men, especially REL, had very complex feelings on the subject.  I also know that the conflict evolved over time. 

But, at the end of the day, most of the Confederate generals, many of them West Point grads, made the conscious decision to fight for the Confederacy.  One of the reasons the Union army was so bad for the first several years of the war was that the bulk of quality military leaders were from the Southern states.

These men they erected monuments to generally made a conscious choice to choose state over country.  If Lee hadn't been such a skilled general, and had the Army of Northern Virginia not been so damn dominant, hundreds of thousands of people may not have died.

So, again, I'm not wrong.  Lee even sent a letter of resignation to Lincoln before taking command of the Confederate Army.  He was a traitor.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 05:14:39 PM »
And then racists decided to worship him and throw up statues all over the place to make sure black people knew what was up.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »

Please.  I have been a student of the Civil War since my father sat me down in grade school and made me watch the entire Ken Burns series.

I understand that many of these men, especially REL, had very complex feelings on the subject.  I also know that the conflict evolved over time. 

But, at the end of the day, most of the Confederate generals, many of them West Point grads, made the conscious decision to fight for the Confederacy.  One of the reasons the Union army was so bad for the first several years of the war was that the bulk of quality military leaders were from the Southern states.

These men they erected monuments to generally made a conscious choice to choose state over country.  If Lee hadn't been such a skilled general, and had the Army of Northern Virginia not been so damn dominant, hundreds of thousands of people may not have died.

So, again, I'm not wrong.  Lee even sent a letter of resignation to Lincoln before taking command of the Confederate Army.  He was a traitor.

I dare you to say that to my great, great, great (maybe a few more greats) uncle George McClellan

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »

You make it sound like there was some kind of Southern invasion. The Southern states seceded from the U.S. and formed a confederacy.  Lincoln declared them in rebellion and treated them the same way the British treated the U.S. when we declared our independence.  Just look at where the fighting took place.  Yes, the South had quality generals, but they also lost much fewer soldiers because they were largely defending their own turf.  We can talk about how they had pretty perverse motives for trying to split from the U.S., but give me a break with this "raising up arms" talk.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 09:21:41 PM »

You make it sound like there was some kind of Southern invasion. The Southern states seceded from the U.S. and formed a confederacy.  Lincoln declared them in rebellion and treated them the same way the British treated the U.S. when we declared our independence.  Just look at where the fighting took place.  Yes, the South had quality generals, but they also lost much fewer soldiers because they were largely defending their own turf.  We can talk about how they had pretty perverse motives for trying to split from the U.S., but give me a break with this "raising up arms" talk.

I'm sorry, I forgot that the Union soldiers fired upon themselves at Fort Sumter.  I also forgot that the United States at some point recognized the Confederacy as a sovereign nation.

No, wait, I didn't forget about that because it never happened.

Now, is some poor dirt farmer from Tennessee a bad person because he fought for the Confederacy?  No.  I mean what in the hell was he going to do?

Is Robert E. Lee a bad person?  I mean he had a lot of great qualities.  He was a tortured soul for what he did.  But let's just recognize for a minute that guys like him and Joe Johnston were educated at West Point, were US soldiers, and lead massive armies to fight for the right to protect an agrarian society fueled by slave labor.

I mean the guy doesn't really deserve a statue, you know?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 10:29:40 PM »
In Berlin there is like a 500 foot tall statue of a heroic soviet soldier saving a little kid and smashing a swastika with his sword, no joke

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
lol at this "war of northern aggression" talking point by Catastrophe.

sure, southerners were trying to secede and keep their slaves, but they were doing it PEACEFULLY.  gmafb.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 10:46:56 PM »
how come no one ever wanted to get rid of these statues the last 8 years?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »
how come no one ever wanted to get rid of these statues the last 8 years?

wut

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 06:52:42 AM »
In Berlin there is like a 500 foot tall statue of a heroic soviet soldier saving a little kid and smashing a swastika with his sword, no joke

All the raping and the 100 million dead at the hand of Stalin and other communist rulers (Alt left heroes one and all) not-with-standing.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2017, 06:57:37 AM »
Yeah and guess who put up the statue

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2017, 07:04:10 AM »

They aren't in control anymore. 

Much to the consternation of the red wing of the Alt left.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2017, 07:24:32 AM »

you should stop saying alt-left. i mean it was literally just made up by president trump in defense of nazi's.

but yeah there have been lots of german protests that the statue is still up. but it's different from the situation here since there is the wrinkle that the soviets did in fact swoop in and rescue berlin from the third reich.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:38 AM »

you should stop saying alt-left. i mean it was literally just made up by president trump in defense of nazi's.

but yeah there have been lots of german protests that the statue is still up. but it's different from the situation here since there is the wrinkle that the soviets did in fact swoop in and rescue berlin from the third reich.

So "normal" Libs identity with mask wearing people breaking out windows and lighting things in fire? Not to mention people who launch full fledged free speech attacks against anyone they unilaterally deem to be fascist which is basically anyone slightly to the right of Saul Alinsky? 

Scary

Oh sure they were "rescued" alright.  If being placed under the iron heel of Joe Stalin is being "rescued" than no thanks.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 07:55:57 AM »
Dax just said he'd rather be a nazi lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »
Dax just said he'd rather be a nazi lol

You're lack of intelligence while not surprising is still shocking.  Don't tell anyone you went to K-State, thanks in advance.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »

So "normal" Libs identity with mask wearing people breaking out windows and lighting things in fire? Not to mention people who launch full fledged free speech attacks against anyone they unilaterally deem to be fascist which is basically anyone slightly to the right of Saul Alinsky? 

Scary

Oh sure they were "rescued" alright.  If being placed under the iron heel of Joe Stalin is being "rescued" than no thanks.

dax the point is that the soviets erected a monument to themselves, and once the wall fell there was a protest of 250,000 germans to tear it down.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 08:07:43 AM »
i'm sure there were plenty of dax's over there making fun of the whiny protesters then, too

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:29 AM »

Scary

dax the point is that the soviets erected a monument to themselves, and once the wall fell there was a protest of 250,000 germans to tear it down.

No way

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »
i'm sure there were plenty of dax's over there making fun of the whiny protesters then, too

I'm making fun of protesters?  Interesting take.