Author Topic: here comes 2014 tennis  (Read 39689 times)

Offline Teddy_Westside

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: here comes 2012 tennis
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »
I got Chris Fowler's signature on my Cincinnati ticket.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 11:36:06 PM »
Okay, so this writer, Brian Phillips, was at Wimbledon and wrote something about Serena's hair that described it as a warm comfy place that he would have liked to hide in when he was a child.  When I read it, I was like, "WTF?". Well, i saw Serena tonight and I had a hard time taking my eyes off of her hair.  It was ... inviting?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »
rough ridin' pumped for this roddick match

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »
Now a huge Marion Bartoli fan, she's fun to watch.

Also going to the Open was amazing, the best sporting event I have ever attended.  I can't wait to go back, would be an amazing trip with a group of buddies.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »
Went to the US Open in '10 for the Men's Semifinal pairing Federer/Djokovic & Nadal/Youzhny.  It was pretty Elite.  Was also on 9/11, so there was that. 

If I ever go back, I'll go at the beginning of the tourney instead of the tail-end so as to see a lot more tennis.  Semis were great matches, but the place was pretty much abandoned except for Arthur Ashe.  Would love to see a night match and experience the energy and activity of that place in the opening rounds.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
Went to the US Open in '10 for the Men's Semifinal pairing Federer/Djokovic & Nadal/Youzhny.  It was pretty Elite.  Was also on 9/11, so there was that. 

If I ever go back, I'll go at the beginning of the tourney instead of the tail-end so as to see a lot more tennis.  Semis were great matches, but the place was pretty much abandoned except for Arthur Ashe.  Would love to see a night match and experience the energy and activity of that place in the opening rounds.

I went on the night session of Day 1.  Lucked out that some of the day sessions were postponed by rain so I got to see a lot of tennis.  I saw matches on 7 different courts.  Got there at 6PM and left at 1:30 am.  Watching matches on the side courts was amazing.  I just wish I wasn't stopping through on my way to somewhere else, I'd love to go for a few days, I didn't even get a chance to go to the fan experience.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »
I saw matches on 7 different courts.  Got there at 6PM and left at 1:30 am.  Watching matches on the side courts was amazing. 
If you like tennis, this is the underrated part about going to tournaments.  A few weeks ago I watched the current #16 and #19 play a close 3-setter (this was a best of 3 tournament) from the 2nd row at mid-court in between watching Federer and Dvokovic in the stands of the main court.  Also with tennis, those matches are worth serious $$, so they are really into it.  In that Raonic/Wawrinka match I referenced earlier the winner got $75K more for playing in that tournament than the loser.  I imagine going from court to court watching the 4th and 5th sets of matches at the US Open is even more amazing. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
I saw matches on 7 different courts.  Got there at 6PM and left at 1:30 am.  Watching matches on the side courts was amazing. 
If you like tennis, this is the underrated part about going to tournaments.  A few weeks ago I watched the current #16 and #19 play a close 3-setter (this was a best of 3 tournament) from the 2nd row at mid-court in between watching Federer and Dvokovic in the stands of the main court.  Also with tennis, those matches are worth serious $$, so they are really into it.  In that Raonic/Wawrinka match I referenced earlier the winner got $75K more for playing in that tournament than the loser.  I imagine going from court to court watching the 4th and 5th sets of matches at the US Open is even more amazing.

I would think it would be cool for non tennis fans.  Being so close to high level athletics is very cool.  One of the side courts I sat at two guys by the name of Denis Istomin and Jurgen Zopp.  There couldn't have been more than 50 people watching and most of those 50 were friends, family, and coaches of the players.  Zopp is from Estonia and there were about 20 people wildin' out with Estonia flags, face paint, etc.  It was a close match and every point was very intense.  Zopp won the match and when it was over he ran into the Estonians in tears, it was like he just won the tournament or the Davis Cup.  He just won the first round but it was the biggest win of his life and it was a really cool moment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »
RF got worked.  Also his fans/groupies are plentiful & incredibly annoying

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 07:15:18 AM »

mrs. dave is a rog feds fan based on his sexiness alone

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »
I love the way he's always running his hand through his hair and tucking it into his headband between points.  It's one of the more sexy things about Roger Federer.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
I love the way he's always running his hand through his hair and tucking it into his headband between points.  It's one of the more sexy things about Roger Federer.

def

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
One of the more elite aspects of great tennis players is the fact that the dominant arm is always considerably hulkish compared to the other.  Federer and Nadal espesh.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 10:00:44 AM »

The fans are annoying, but he is a good guy who deserves to have all the fans.  The way he acted during the match was night-and-day from the way the Williams sisters handled themselves. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
need to get rid of your last second available US Open ticket?  obviously posting on the GPC premium board is the solution

505 CAT

Almost on scholarship
Post #214
Chicago
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore OT: US Open Men's Semi Final Ticket For Sale Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had some unfortunate circumstances come up to where I cannot attend the US Open this weekend.  I have a ticket available for the Men's semi (11am time start) and you'd be sitting with some fellow Wildcats- and yes, I know this conflicts with the Miami game.  Leave your email if interested and I'll get you more details.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »

The fans are annoying, but he is a good guy who deserves to have all the fans.  The way he acted during the match was night-and-day from the way the Williams sisters handled themselves.

wut?  Comment seems unnecessary and misplaced.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »

I like where this is heading.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »

Sorry, needed more context.  The Williams sisters fans/groupies were just as plentiful & annoying as Roger's fans at the tourny in Cincy.  The difference was Roger acted like a geniuenly nice guy.  As an example, I watched ~10 matches over 2 days.  Every player during those matches constantly had the ball boys bring them their towel.  Every person would use the towel while facing the ball boys, then hand or toss it back.  Both the sisters constantly turned around, walked away, then just dropped it at their feet.  Whenever Venus would serve and lose a point, like clockwork on her next serve she would toss the ball off center then let it drop.  Every point she lost she pouted.  For some reason the fans loved her.  Serena was supposed to play on the main court at 1:00 PM, but she didn't get to the stadium until 2:00, putting everyone 1.5 behind (this royally messed up the day/night session ticketing).  During the match, which she lost, she had a nice meltdown where she shattered her racket.  Also, prior to serving everyone always got 3 or 4 balls, kept 2, and hit the others back to the ball boys.  Serena never did this, she always dropped the ball right behind her.  Both just acted like brats the entire time, but the fans didn't care. 

Prior to that I always liked Venus and was indifferent about Serena.  I could never bring myself to root for her just because of the physical advantage she had over everyone.  It felt like rooting for the Yankees.  Plus the media fawns over both of them as well.  During Serena's match last night Pam Shriver was gushing over Serena saying she's only had 2 meltdowns in her career and both were at the US Open, but I watched her do it 2 weeks ago in a loss.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:03:48 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »
I'm glad you clarified that because I was about to completely light you up, your first statement didn't play well.  You started whining about the Williams sisters when the topic was RF's groupies.  Certainly whatever reason Serena showed up late was okay with the tournament officials and the WTA.  It was a sanctioned event that has rules, you can't show up when you want to.  If she was 90 minutes late she would have been withdrawn from the tournament & fined.  Also why can't I find an article, blog entry, or even a story comment about this delay?

As for not liking her because she pouts, you must not like a lot of tennis players.  Sharapova is the biggest pouter ever, more tennis players pout than the alternative. 

Also fans and the media fall all over her because she's won 14 goddamned majors and 4 gold medals.  She's unquestionably the greatest women's player of all time.

If you want to dislike her because she is an bad person to lines people, that's fine.  Not liking her because she's done the work to be the most physically imposing player ever yet quick and fit is really dumb.  Venus Williams is the most harmless, benign, boring star player on the tour.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
I'm glad you clarified that because I was about to completely light you up, your first statement didn't play well.  You started whining about the Williams sisters when the topic was RF's groupies.  Certainly whatever reason Serena showed up late was okay with the tournament officials and the WTA.  It was a sanctioned event that has rules, you can't show up when you want to.  If she was 90 minutes late she would have been withdrawn from the tournament & fined.  Also why can't I find an article, blog entry, or even a story comment about this delay?

As for not liking her because she pouts, you must not like a lot of tennis players.  Sharapova is the biggest pouter ever, more tennis players pout than the alternative. 

Also fans and the media fall all over her because she's won 14 goddamned majors and 4 gold medals.  She's unquestionably the greatest women's player of all time.

If you want to dislike her because she is an bad person to lines people, that's fine.  Not liking her because she's done the work to be the most physically imposing player ever yet quick and fit is really dumb.  Venus Williams is the most harmless, benign, boring star player on the tour.

Serena wasn't punish for being late because the fans would have majorly revolted.  By the rules, she should have been, but the paying customers would have burned the place down.  I would have agreed with you on Venus before watching her play.  My point (and I admit my first post looked bad) is I was surprised by how much their fans let that stuff go.  I also don't really care for Sharapova either, but I know alot of tennis fans that don't for the same reasons I came out of Cincy not really caring for the Williams sisters.  They get a pass because they are American (which is understandable).

I also agree with you that the fans fall all over her because she's won 14 grandslams and 4 gold medals, but they do the same for Roger because he's arguably the greatest of all time.  That's my original point their fans are equally as annoying for the same reason as Roger's, but when I saw it in person I was surprised with what their fans had to let pass compared to Roger's, espeically because a chunk of them complain about Sharapova for some of the same reasons. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:28:27 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
From what I see over the years in the clips that come on between the end of PTI and the PTI thing that comes on about 25 minutes into the 5pm (central, majority of KS time) SportsCenter, Serena Williams says some pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) crap.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

I did.  I don't play much anymore.  Since I moved to I've only met people who don't play at all or who play all the time and kick my ass.  I did recently find out that the town I live in has a ladder system, so I think I'm going to jump into that now that it's cooling off. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

I did.  I don't play much anymore.  Since I moved to I've only met people who don't play at all or who play all the time and kick my ass.  I did recently find out that the town I live in has a ladder system, so I think I'm going to jump into that now that it's cooling off. 

fatty would've kicked your ass hardest.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »
Hamburgular do you play?

Do you live near Cincinnati?  Any Wichitans reading this know of a good ladder/league here?