Author Topic: Google Fiber  (Read 30878 times)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Google Fiber
« Reply #325 on: December 12, 2023, 10:31:34 AM »
Even a gig seems like massive overkill for residential use

It’s enough for 25 ppl to stream 4K video

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 12, 2023, 10:45:19 AM »

I only have 300MB download speeds with current provider and my family streams and games simultaneously with zero issue. Maybe we will need massive dl speeds for the coming metaverse.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 12, 2023, 10:55:19 AM »
 Currently have at&t 300mb fiber to the home and getting Google Fiber 1G installed tomorrow mainly in the hope Google's hardware will help the soft picture i get when multiple streams are going especially when there are two 4k cfb games.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 12, 2023, 11:36:39 AM »
https://9to5google.com/2023/12/11/google-fiber-20-gig-price/

Any of you guys going to give the new 20 gig speed a shot?  I can’t really think of a non-business use case.  I’ve double and triple checked our pron speed and it seems good, so I will probably stay with my current Google fiber arrangement.
How does this work? I'm not a network engineer, but from my understanding even if they run fiber directly to the on premise equipment I believe your house would have to be wired with cat8 throughout. Cat8 is very new, expensive and uncommon for all but the most SD of SD's. Even with cat8, the runs would need to be less than 100 feet to reach those speeds. The max speed for the more likely Cat5e is 2.5Gbps up to roughly 300 feet or cat6 at 5Gbs. https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/how-to-choose-the-right-cable

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 12, 2023, 11:55:13 AM »
In hardwired scenarios the port speed on individual consumer devices rarely exceeds 1G.  Wi-Fi 6 Enterprise level AP's can get up to 9.6G of throughput in optimal conditions, but your speed is likely choked by the capability of the end device itself.

In the aggregate, you'll need piles of users to even remotely threaten utilizing 20G's.

Google Fiber uses passive optical networking, so it's a best effort, up to network. 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 12, 2023, 12:04:54 PM »
That 20g will download conspiracy videos super quick tho
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 12, 2023, 12:14:21 PM »

I only have 300MB download speeds with current provider and my family streams and games simultaneously with zero issue. Maybe we will need massive dl speeds for the coming metaverse.
This makes me laugh as I live alone and have gig At&t Fiberinternet. I don't think I could ever go back.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 12, 2023, 01:52:31 PM »

Any of you guys going to give the new 20 gig speed a shot?  I can’t really think of a non-business use case.  I’ve double and triple checked our pron speed and it seems good, so I will probably stay with my current Google fiber arrangement.

Goodnight, I love google fiber but that is dumb, you gotta be a business. Like many other here, 1 gb is plenty enough, I don't think I ever tax it.

Yeah, unless your job or whatever requires huge files to be downloaded or uploaded, 1 gig is more than enough. On a separate note, I got an email from them about a month or so ago saying my router was old and needed upgraded. I had that and the google pucks I got from costco spread around the house. They worked great and I never noticed any issues outside of a couple small dead zones. They sent me a new router with an extender and holy crap. Just the router and the extender hit my whole house and everywhere has at least 5 times faster speeds than I was getting. If you have an old router, i'd recommend calling them and asking for a new one.

I moved but I didn't notice a huge improvement per se in speeds, but in the next place it's definitely not centrally located it does hit a long way away. I did have a left over puck and wanted to add it just to extend out into the patio, but it didn't want to connect even after a factory reset. Oh well
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 12, 2023, 02:28:57 PM »

Goodnight, I love google fiber but that is dumb, you gotta be a business. Like many other here, 1 gb is plenty enough, I don't think I ever tax it.

Yeah, unless your job or whatever requires huge files to be downloaded or uploaded, 1 gig is more than enough. On a separate note, I got an email from them about a month or so ago saying my router was old and needed upgraded. I had that and the google pucks I got from costco spread around the house. They worked great and I never noticed any issues outside of a couple small dead zones. They sent me a new router with an extender and holy crap. Just the router and the extender hit my whole house and everywhere has at least 5 times faster speeds than I was getting. If you have an old router, i'd recommend calling them and asking for a new one.

I moved but I didn't notice a huge improvement per se in speeds, but in the next place it's definitely not centrally located it does hit a long way away. I did have a left over puck and wanted to add it just to extend out into the patio, but it didn't want to connect even after a factory reset. Oh well

I had a really old router that I got right when they came to my hood.  If I stood right next to it and did a wifi speed test, I would get around 100 which was plenty fast. The pucks would get me 20-25 depending on the room. If I test right next to the new router, I get 400-500 and everywhere in the house is well above 100.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 12, 2023, 04:19:56 PM »

I had a really old router that I got right when they came to my hood.  If I stood right next to it and did a wifi speed test, I would get around 100 which was plenty fast. The pucks would get me 20-25 depending on the room. If I test right next to the new router, I get 400-500 and everywhere in the house is well above 100.

Pucks at the house I could reliably get 800+, but I think they went through two version, Nest, and then Google, wifi, Nest was more smooth pucks, Google more edgy pucks, if that makes sense
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #335 on: December 12, 2023, 04:25:04 PM »
I'm jealous of your Wi-Fi speeds. Can only get 20 on a good day out in the sticks.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »

How does this work? I'm not a network engineer, but from my understanding even if they run fiber directly to the on premise equipment I believe your house would have to be wired with cat8 throughout. Cat8 is very new, expensive and uncommon for all but the most SD of SD's. Even with cat8, the runs would need to be less than 100 feet to reach those speeds. The max speed for the more likely Cat5e is 2.5Gbps up to roughly 300 feet or cat6 at 5Gbs. https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/how-to-choose-the-right-cable
this netgear wifi 7 mesh system can theoretically push 27 Gbps across 6,000 sq ft.  the bottleneck is at the device. most everything today doesn’t go beyond 1 Gbps

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbe972sb/

the “use case” for 20 Gbps isn’t 3 people using 7 Gbps each, it’s 30 users using 500 Mbps with enough bandwidth leftover for peak bursts.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2023, 07:41:08 PM »
So are you saying you'd hook that wi-fi directly up to the ONT in the garage or closet? Ohhhh, I see, you could hook a 2.5 or 5.0 Gb switch up and each keystone jack could go up to 2.5 or 5.0 Gbps until you max out at 20 Gbps for the network.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 12, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »
the “use case” for 20 Gbps isn’t 3 people using 7 Gbps each, it’s 30 users using 500 Mbps with enough bandwidth leftover for peak bursts.

you can just say "steve dave"

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 13, 2023, 06:47:10 AM »

I would like to qualify this by stating up front that I don't know anything about anything and am barely functionally literate, but I was once told by a network professional that the copper network cable in your house will prevent you from enjoying speeds above 1gig no matter what wild speeds your service provider is lying to you about providing to your house.
I could understand this point if you’re relying on Ethernet cables somewhere along the way, but at our house AT&T literally drilled a hole in our wall and plugged the fiber cable right into the modem/router. So idk how copper wires would work into the equation at all.

Are you fiber from your router to your PC?  If not, are you copper?  If you're wifi, that could also be limiting it.  I had major service issues with AT&T about 8 yrs ago with my up and down speeds.  I was buying 100g speed and was only getting 30ish.  Their tech told me that the 100g is only for hard wire and that wifi was limited to approx 35ish, speed wise.  So, I would assume your router could be a choke point on new systems as well  :dunno:
Oh I’m sure the Wi-Fi on both the router and my device is the main limiting factor. I was just making the point that I don’t think there is any inherent limitations like wiring in your house. It mainly comes down to the devices you use (and obviously how much the ISP throttles it).