Author Topic: It's time to dump the "family" thing  (Read 17742 times)

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: It's time to dump the "family" thing
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 11:02:14 PM »
I feel like the "family" focus only reinforces our hayseed roots. Something we should try to avoid with recruits, but maybe play up with the big donors? I'm torn (but really, I hate it).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »
Family can mean lots of things, you can choose a new family if you want.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2015, 12:09:46 AM »
But I don't think it's a very unique "brand" or sales pitch or whatever.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2015, 12:34:15 AM »
But I don't think it's a very unique "brand" or sales pitch or whatever.

It's not unique, but it is a clever way to use the hayseed/ag school stereotype K-State has as an advantage. Bazooka Joe as QB will be the biggest joke/marketing tool of them all.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2015, 01:18:45 AM »
I've always thought it was soft sounding.

It would be okay though if it was just on the stadium and not on the stick though.  I actually like RPs practice of Old Glory and the Ad Astra better.   

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2015, 07:40:54 AM »
I feel like the "family" focus only reinforces our hayseed roots. Something we should try to avoid with recruits, but maybe play up with the big donors? I'm torn (but really, I hate it).

yes, very fox news'y
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2015, 07:56:22 AM »
I don't think it's hayseedy at all. I almost think of it as a message to recruits who wouldn't be as comfortable in a traditional college town or being far from home. Like "we aren't in a major metropolis, but you'll have a family here".

People really think it's an ag school thing?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2015, 07:57:10 AM »
Family is great, guys.

#TheWesIsTheFuture

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2015, 07:59:06 AM »

I don't think it's hayseedy at all. I almost think of it as a message to recruits who wouldn't be as comfortable in a traditional college town or being far from home. Like "we aren't in a major metropolis, but you'll have a family here".

Yeah, it's not hayseedy at all. If anything it's overused in sports, but if the guys really buy into it I think it's good for your program. I think at K-State for the most part our guys do buy in and its a staple of our program, so it works. The fans are just along for the ride.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »

Yeah, it's not hayseedy at all. If anything it's overused in sports, but if the guys really buy into it I think it's good for your program. I think at K-State for the most part our guys do buy in and its a staple of our program, so it works. The fans are just along for the ride.

If anything, the fact that the players seem to have bought into it may be the only somewhat unique thing about it.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
We're all hominids.  :cheers:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
It's awful. When I think of family I think of a bunch of people who hate each other and eat dinner together.

DISCUSS BELOW

Not sure what you're trying to do here or who you're trying to troll, but this isn't your best work Winters...

:facepalm:
bears are fast...

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »
It's awful. When I think of family I think of a bunch of people who hate each other and eat dinner together.

DISCUSS BELOW

Not sure what you're trying to do here or who you're trying to troll, but this isn't your best work Winters...

:facepalm:

that's coming from Bookie Pimp, "The King"

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
"Let's change up our old slogans/traditions/uniforms to something more exciting."

Said every small-timey program no one cares about.

Not saying it hasn't benefited some programs (at least in the short term), but this is definitely a small-timey way of thinking.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »
Maybe we should change it to just "best friends" or "really good friends".

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »
Maybe we should change it to just "best friends" or "really good friends".

I like this.

Or maybe "best friends until 7th grade when you joined the football team, and he joined the band. So now it's awkward & you just give each other the head nod every time you see each other"
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »
The tucks use family like a badge of honor. When we get a new recruit, welcome to the FAMILY! When a recruit flips on us, he doesn't want to be part of the FAMILY. If you openly criticize Weber, Currie, or Snyd, you don't deserve to be pay off the FAMILY. They always capitalize FAMILY.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »

If anything, the fact that the players seem to have bought into it may be the only somewhat unique thing about it.

I do agree it has been effective, thanks to Snyder. That being the case, you can emphasize family without putting it on the stick or emphasizing it to the degree that it just sounds like cheap propaganda. I'm fairly certain every single program plays the family card on the recruiting trail. Don't underestimate how much playing up "family" really does appease the fanbase. Which to me, is a little hayseed-y.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
i like the family stuff after we win, and hate it after we lose. like after the alamo bowl i think i said "but we're still a family hur hur" all sarcastic like an bad person about a hundred times.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »
Was FAMILY a thing before they named the stadium after Bill and his family? I'd always assumed that is where it got started.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
It started when I was in school back in 1987.  There were only a few hundred people at the football games and it was said to be "the size of a family reunion".  The name stuck from there yard dog.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
It started when I was in school back in 1987.  There were only a few hundred people at the football games and it was said to be "the size of a family reunion".  The name stuck from there yard dog.

No, it started earlier, back in the '70s when it was said that the only people to show up to games were actually just the families of the staff and players.  It kinda went on from there.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »

No, it started earlier, back in the '70s when it was said that the only people to show up to games were actually just the families of the staff and players.  It kinda went on from there.

well I had heard about that, but didn't become a fan until the 80's.  you're probably right.

The Big Train

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »

Hey! This is happening in Lawrence right now. :tsc:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »