Author Topic: THEY WON A BALLGAME!!!  (Read 8404 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: THEY WON A BALLGAME!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »

Was the bell a significant fixture for Kansas State football before this?

I have never heard of K State having a football related bell before today.  Shame Yourself thread crosspost?
We also used to have a cannon over there as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I remember the cannon.  Was that still used in the mid-90s?

Yes
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

I have never heard of K State having a football related bell before today.  Shame Yourself thread crosspost?

I remember the cannon as well.  Would have been 95 at the earliest for me to be there.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
Was that normal strategy with ties back then? Bill going for the win from the 10  :eek

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
Was that normal strategy with ties back then? Bill going for the win from the 10  :eek

yeah, seems odd they didn't go for the tie and OT. maybe there wasn't OT in '89?

I dunno, I was only 2 when that game was played.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »
Def no overtime in 89
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »
And so began the greatest turnaround in college football history and it was not one "to be taken lightly"  :ksu:
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »

Yes
i remember my dad teaching little lynch about the difference between the speed of light and sound with that cannon. I have a feeling this was the last maybe only kstate football game he ever attended

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
love the fashion of those celebrating fans

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZVj5Rubah0#t=316

If you look at the right hand side (it appears) that a rough ridin' ref is helping the kids tear down the goal posts.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good eye.  Never noticed it before (and I've seen that video probably 2 or 3 dozen times).

If the ref wasn't helping, then he crazy enough to believe he could somehow save them from falling by pulling the one due off by his feet.

To me it looks like the ref is trying to crush that guy's nuts because the guy is actually straddling the goalpost and the ref is yanking on both of his feet. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
it's a rough ridin' ref guy you dweebs

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »
The mullet at 5:55 is glorious.   God I miss the 80s. :cry:

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
it's a rough ridin' ref guy you dweebs

I didn't know the ref guys went back that far, but you are probably right.  Most of his body is off-screen so you can't really see his pants or anything. 

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
You know, not a bad crowd for a game against N. Texas and a home team that was 23-79-3 in the previous 10 years and 3 games.   In the one shot almost the entire East side from goal line to goal line was full including the old steel stands up high.

Dax, the reason the east side was so full that day is that most of those people are band members from all the high schools that went there for band day, and I should know because I was one of them!  I was a freshman in high school and played the saxophone, and we all got to go out on the field and perform during the halftime show.  But back then there were way, way more high school bands that got to participate than in recent years because there were plenty of empty seats to accommodate as many bands that wanted to come.  We sat on the east side during the game, and I remember being on the field for halftime, and it was just jam-packed with bands from all over the state.  I mean it took the PA announcer forever to read off all the names of the high schools that had come that day.  You can see at 4:21 as the camera pans the south and west sides of the stadium it is not as packed in those areas.  Also I remember our bus parked in the east lot, and back then it was not even paved.  It was just a dirt and gravel  lot that looked pretty crappy.  As we were loaded into the bus after the game getting ready to leave, I heard a bunch of yelling, and looked out the window to see the group of students carrying the goalpost piece at 5:34 run right by our bus heading southeast toward Aggieville I guess.  It was a great day but obviously I did not realize how special it was until years later.  Too bad we had to go to KU's band day the following year.   :Yuck: 

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »
You know, not a bad crowd for a game against N. Texas and a home team that was 23-79-3 in the previous 10 years and 3 games.   In the one shot almost the entire East side from goal line to goal line was full including the old steel stands up high.

Dax, the reason the east side was so full that day is that most of those people are band members from all the high schools that went there for band day, and I should know because I was one of them!  I was a freshman in high school and played the saxophone, and we all got to go out on the field and perform during the halftime show.  But back then there were way, way more high school bands that got to participate than in recent years because there were plenty of empty seats to accommodate as many bands that wanted to come.  We sat on the east side during the game, and I remember being on the field for halftime, and it was just jam-packed with bands from all over the state.  I mean it took the PA announcer forever to read off all the names of the high schools that had come that day.  You can see at 4:21 as the camera pans the south and west sides of the stadium it is not as packed in those areas.  Also I remember our bus parked in the east lot, and back then it was not even paved.  It was just a dirt and gravel  lot that looked pretty crappy.  As we were loaded into the bus after the game getting ready to leave, I heard a bunch of yelling, and looked out the window to see the group of students carrying the goalpost piece at 5:34 run right by our bus heading southeast toward Aggieville I guess.  It was a great day but obviously I did not realize how special it was until years later.  Too bad we had to go to KU's band day the following year.   :Yuck:
Class of '93 :cheers:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »

Don't look like no rough ridin' bands to me.   Otherwise TLDNR

Sorry Deez Nuts.  Friends?

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »

Don't look like no rough ridin' bands to me.   Otherwise TLDNR

Sorry Deez Nuts.  Friends?

I think most probably put away their instruments and took off the top part of their uniform after the halftime performance because the shot you see is at the end of the game.  I remember it was pretty hot that day so we probably got to be in t-shirts during the second half.

And TLDNR = Too Long Did Not Read?  Sorry, not friends until you read it.   :don'tcare:

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
My ticket stub from that game.

Offline kcnut

• The CEO of the Brad Essex Report and cont. writer for red state I also hate oklahoma so very much.
  • Combo-Fan
  • hail to the king.
    • View Profile
    • The Brad Essex Report
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 07:29:30 AM »
Amazing how the stadium changed from then to now. Maybe before I die I could see Cessna stadium turn into something as majestic as the bill!
LHC Bill Snyder is as american as you can get.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »

Yeah I remember the cannon but this bell, if it even existed, is honestly a brand new thing to me.  Sheesh.  Any old timers have more deets on it like when it was first used at the stadium, when/why it went away, etc?

Does Dax have a good story on the bell such as the bell manufacturer overcharged our athletic department or something??

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
The bell represented the old regime, the old ways of doing things, losing. When that bell was broken after the win, Snyder probably saw it as a good thing. With the bell gone, there was nothing holding us back....

(or the budget didn't allow for replacing two goal posts, and a bell)

Offline doompaul

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »

That's a genuine Kentucky waterfall.

Offline ltrain

• Combo-Fan
  • go cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »

That's a genuine Kentucky waterfall.

I think I know that guy  :horrorsurprise:
Wondering who is running this hot dog stand and seriously considering heading out for tacos.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 11:58:47 PM »

I remember the cannon as well.  Would have been 95 at the earliest for me to be there.

there was no cannon or bell in '96, well the bell was there but it wasn't used

Offline Rough Rider

• Fan
  • A man of neither taste nor distinction
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »

The cannon sits outside the alumni center now. I only saw it because I was taking a picture of the obelisk.

A plaque says it was used through 94 and was installed at the alumni center in 04.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »

The cannon sits outside the alumni center now. I only saw it because I was taking a picture of the obelisk.

A plaque says it was used through 94 and was installed at the alumni center in 04.
Why don't we use it anymore?