Author Topic: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff  (Read 55983 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff
« Reply #375 on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12249290/richard-sherman-michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-bash-ncaa
Good find and great read. 
My feelings exactly.  It's will happen; sooner or later.

If it is that bad, they could always just not play football. It should be illegal for the NFL to discriminate based upon age. It's not the NCAA or any university's fault that the NFL is using them as a farm system.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 02, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12249290/richard-sherman-michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-bash-ncaa

If it is that bad, they could always just not play football. It should be illegal for the NFL to discriminate based upon age. It's not the NCAA or any university's fault that the NFL is using them as a farm system.

The NFL is a private company, so if they want a minimum age requirement for its employees that is their decision to make. And it's not an age requirement as much as it is an education/maturity requirement (3 years after HS graduation). Amobi Okoye was drafted a few years ago when he was 19.

And Michael Bennett made some of the dumbest arguments for paying student athletes that I've ever read/heard. The restaurant/free burger analogy is just plain asinine. Also, his estimate on how much TAMU makes in licensing or jersey sales is only off by about $57M... Based on all of his comments I really don't think he knows how the system works.

Sherman makes a few good points, but I'm assuming he was surrounded by several students at Stanford who did not work their way through college. Not everyone goes home for the day when they are finished with class.

This entire article was laughable.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »

The NFL is a private company, so if they want a minimum age requirement for its employees that is their decision to make. And it's not an age requirement as much as it is an education/maturity requirement (3 years after HS graduation). Amobi Okoye was drafted a few years ago when he was 19.

And Michael Bennett made some of the dumbest arguments for paying student athletes that I've ever read/heard. The restaurant/free burger analogy is just plain asinine. Also, his estimate on how much TAMU makes in licensing or jersey sales is only off by about $57M... Based on all of his comments I really don't think he knows how the system works.

Sherman makes a few good points, but I'm assuming he was surrounded by several students at Stanford who did not work their way through college. Not everyone goes home for the day when they are finished with class.

This entire article was laughable.

exactly. This article was terrible, but i still understand and see both sides. There's a really good documentary on Netflix called, "Schooled: The Price of College Sports." It's really good and discusses this exact subject.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »
The debate is valid, but Shabazz Napier claiming hunger is ridiculous.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »
Forth meal thou.  :D

Offline nitrocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 17, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »

The reality is, when I played division 1 college football (finished 5 years ago), we got $660 a month to cover rent, bills, food, gas, cell phone, and any other spending money. You're not getting additional financial aid, so that's what you live on for the month. Now, M-F you do get training table dinner (at least where I went), so at least that meal is paid for. (They've changed the rules regarding food recently, and honestly, probably a lot had to do with what Napier said.)

So, take that $660 and subtract ~$400 for rent, ~$125 for utilities (probably a little low), cell phone ~$100. See you later scholarship money. You still need gas for your car, insurance for your car, and oh yeah, you need to eat. And if you want to go out, like many college students do, that costs money as well.

If you disagree with my numbers, that's fine, you could say he has Boost and it's only $50 a month for cell phone rather than $100. And his rent is only $350. Great, you have $135 extra to get groceries now. For the month.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 17, 2015, 12:26:20 PM »

The reality is, when I played division 1 college football (finished 5 years ago), we got $660 a month to cover rent, bills, food, gas, cell phone, and any other spending money. You're not getting additional financial aid, so that's what you live on for the month. Now, M-F you do get training table dinner (at least where I went), so at least that meal is paid for. (They've changed the rules regarding food recently, and honestly, probably a lot had to do with what Napier said.)

So, take that $660 and subtract ~$400 for rent, ~$125 for utilities (probably a little low), cell phone ~$100. See you later scholarship money. You still need gas for your car, insurance for your car, and oh yeah, you need to eat. And if you want to go out, like many college students do, that costs money as well.

If you disagree with my numbers, that's fine, you could say he has Boost and it's only $50 a month for cell phone rather than $100. And his rent is only $350. Great, you have $135 extra to get groceries now. For the month.

so you only got 5 free meals a week?  was this college D1 or D1ish?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 17, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »

Why weren't you able to get additional financial aid? S-As have been able to apply for Pell Grants for several years.

Offline nitrocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 17, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

so you only got 5 free meals a week?  was this college D1 or D1ish?
[/quote]

D1 P5 school. You could get 3 meals a day, but you had to live in the dorms.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 17, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
was this school K-State and is your name James McGill?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »
so did you go hungry or just get creative?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 17, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »
If you stay in the dorms do you still get $660 on top of them paying for housing?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nitrocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 17, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
If you stay in the dorms do you still get $660 on top of them paying for housing?

No, that was for off-campus students-athletes. I believe if you lived on campus you didn't get any stipend, or it was very small.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 17, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »

Are you suggesting cannibalism?  :sdeek:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 17, 2015, 09:27:34 PM »

Are you suggesting cannibalism?  :sdeek:
That's very funny, meow meow.  But we all know what CF3 meant... mice and rats caught with glue traps.  :fatty:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13455477/nlrb-says-northwestern-players-cannot-unionize

There will be more to this story later, but pretty much the NLRB unanimously decided that student athletes aren't university employees and that they cannot unionize. Very telling that the decision was unanimous.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13455477/nlrb-says-northwestern-players-cannot-unionize

There will be more to this story later, but pretty much the NLRB unanimously decided that student athletes aren't university employees and that they cannot unionize. Very telling that the decision was unanimous.
Of course, they were going to get this thing dropped; there are millions of BIG BUCKS involved here. #multimilliondollarNCAA

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 17, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »

I mean I didn't understand the lawsuit, I'm not sure how you can claim being an employee without drawing a salary. I also don't understand how these smart Northwestern student athletes didn't understand the negative implications if the NLRB ruled in their favor.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 17, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »

I mean I didn't understand the lawsuit, I'm not sure how you can claim being an employee without drawing a salary. I also don't understand how these smart Northwestern student athletes didn't understand the negative implications if the NLRB ruled in their favor.

I suppose a lot of the maneuvering by the Northwestern contingent was to get leverage on other things (i.e. raising stipends, etc.).

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 17, 2015, 10:37:36 PM »
Yes but only if they bring back EA's NCAA football

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 19, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1042099673081806848

:lol:

Yea, that's a ridiculous statement. To an extent, a big chunk of these players are already receiving payment in the form of an education, the question is clearly do they deserve more than that?

Eliminate athletic scholarships, then you'll be in line with your educational mission.

Let any player test the professional waters and return to college with no strings attached, so long as they don't sign any pro contract, then you'll be in line with your educational mission.

Anyone know if Wisconsin athletic department is self funded? Or if students fees subsidize part of it?

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »
Well, it should be said that the NCAA is on the skids.  Viewership is down and the players will inevitably go somewhere else to chase the money at that age.  If the NCAA wants to maintain that the kids are student-athletes and that college sports is all just for amateurs, then that's what they're gonna get. 

Here's an interesting article that sets up the Pac Pro Football program, a new league designed to "train" up kids who are NFL ineligible due to age and will get paid to play: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/11/pacific-pro-football-league-developmental-college-ed-mccaffrey/96416744/

If you want to know more about it, they have their own website now: http://www.pacificprofootball.com/