Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1349831 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #4700 on: July 15, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »
Snooze brought ERiI, Dr. Jack and MH an order of free strawberry rhubarb pancakes when we were there in April. I thought the place was fantastic.  :dunno:

I think it is appropriately rated. (As fantastic). I mean, what does Mikey expect for brunch?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: July 15, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
my friends and i rented bikes, went to the Heineken brewery, the van Gogh museum, a couple pot establishments, and burger king like 3 times in 3 days (after the pot establishments). mostly just exploring around all the beautiful canal-y streets and stuff is fun.

fun fact:
most old multiple story houses in Holland sort of lean out towards the street at the top, and they have hooks extended out even farther. this is for moving large items into upper floors of buildings because they make their stairs hilariously steep and narrow.

i knew about the hooks from watching house hunters international #savings

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:18 PM »
Snooze brought ERiI, Dr. Jack and MH an order of free strawberry rhubarb pancakes when we were there in April. I thought the place was fantastic.  :dunno:

I think it is appropriately rated. (As fantastic). I mean, what does Mikey expect for brunch?

pancakes that aren't overcooked and scorched for one.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: July 15, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
That's not normal. I've been three times and never had a problem with anything. You should have complained.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: July 15, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
Yea, everyone's food in our group was fantastic.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: July 15, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
That's not normal. I've been three times and never had a problem with anything. You should have complained.

meh.   We were on the way to the airport, so we were in a hurry.    It wasn't terribad, just more along the lines of what I'd expect from Perkins.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: July 15, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »

where are you going in Ireland? i recommend getting out of Dublin. it's cool and the Guinness brewery is by far the best and most unique experience i've had at a brewery, and Temple Bar area is fun, but there's a lot more interesting things outside Dublin.
I would recommend going to the west coast and explore Galway and definitely go to the cliffs of Moher. it's like a 3 hour and super cheap bus ride across the country if you don't want to rent a car. You'll see lots of old timey castles and signs in gaelic and whatnot. also there are approximately infinity number of stone fences in every direction. they also have some mini-stonehenge type things on the west side of the country if you're interested in that. drink a lot of beer and eat a lot of fish and potatoes and other cliche ireland-y things. it's a beautiful country.
:cheers: we may have to talk Ireland over a beer.
Plan as of now, could easily change. Fueled equally on free hotel ops and what the internet calls good places. Land first afternoon and stay at westin Dublin. Check out city in am then rent car and drive to Galway for dinner. Next three nights at raddison blu Galway. Aran islands G day one, cliffs of Moher and Galway something else G day two. Drive to dingle early am G day three to explore the town and area. Stay there that night. Next am go to rock of cashel then to Dublin westin that night. Dublin all day, amsterdam flight mid morning next day. Have no clue on one afternoon and two full days of Amsterdam plan but canals windmills tulips old stuff are on the list. Like the bike ride idea and vangoh thought.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: July 15, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
And probably more for the card thread but initial estimates are about 7k in travel for $750ish on one hotel I can't points and airline taxes cause BA.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: July 15, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
when i stepped out of schiphol i was completely overwhelmed at the number of bicycles. they are not hard to find. it's like "hi welcome to holland, and here's a crap ton of bikes"

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: July 15, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

where are you going in Ireland? i recommend getting out of Dublin. it's cool and the Guinness brewery is by far the best and most unique experience i've had at a brewery, and Temple Bar area is fun, but there's a lot more interesting things outside Dublin.
I would recommend going to the west coast and explore Galway and definitely go to the cliffs of Moher. it's like a 3 hour and super cheap bus ride across the country if you don't want to rent a car. You'll see lots of old timey castles and signs in gaelic and whatnot. also there are approximately infinity number of stone fences in every direction. they also have some mini-stonehenge type things on the west side of the country if you're interested in that. drink a lot of beer and eat a lot of fish and potatoes and other cliche ireland-y things. it's a beautiful country.
:cheers: we may have to talk Ireland over a beer.
Plan as of now, could easily change. Fueled equally on free hotel ops and what the internet calls good places. Land first afternoon and stay at westin Dublin. Check out city in am then rent car and drive to Galway for dinner. Next three nights at raddison blu Galway. Aran islands G day one, cliffs of Moher and Galway something else G day two. Drive to dingle early am G day three to explore the town and area. Stay there that night. Next am go to rock of cashel then to Dublin westin that night. Dublin all day, amsterdam flight mid morning next day. Have no clue on one afternoon and two full days of Amsterdam plan but canals windmills tulips old stuff are on the list. Like the bike ride idea and vangoh thought.

did you check using Avios on Iberia to get lowes taxes and fees?

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: July 15, 2014, 02:57:19 PM »
I don't have avois. Just AA and the flight over the pond is AA but it's BA London to Dublin.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: July 15, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
I don't have avois. Just AA and the flight over the pond is AA but it's BA London to Dublin.

you can fly from mci to dublin via london using just AA

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: July 15, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »

you can fly from mci to dublin via london using just AA

if he can avoid London he will save a lot in taxes.

you can fly Iberia with AA miles too.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: July 15, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »
Yeah the key is finding one for 20k pts each way per person. Right now two flights to Dublin is 40k pts and $250 in April. Can I beat that? Return from ams is 40k and $350.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: July 15, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
when i stepped out of schiphol i was completely overwhelmed at the number of bicycles. they are not hard to find. it's like "hi welcome to holland, and here's a crap ton of bikes"

jacob pullen's last night's dream thread crosspost

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »
frankly, with the time available to do so, I'd sign up for a BA credit card for each of you , and fly Aer Lingus.   Direct flights from several US cities including CHI, and taxes and fuel surcharges are MUCH lower
Hell, the 20k AA awards fly you MCI>DFW>LHR>DUB, thats a LONG day (27hrs total)

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/04/14/low-avios-redemptions/

If this is correct  https://www.britishairways.com/travel/avios-calculator/execclub/_gf/en_gb (and I don't think it is on the fees) but if you do MCI>CHI  CHI>DUB it's 33.5k avios pp and ZERO in fees and taxes.  (Note, I think taxes are going to be somewhere in the $150-170 range).

sign up for an Executive Club account and you can probably call and make a dummy booking to confirm price and fees.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:54:00 PM by Mikeyis4dcats »

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: July 15, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
Not a bad thought but I already have the points on American. Trying to save the CC apps for hyatt and club Carlson cards. One for two nights at park hyatt in NY around Xmas and the other for the nights in Galway. Lady BR is against signing up for cards at this point in time so I've got to gather points myself for two ppl

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: July 15, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
Not a bad thought but I already have the points on American. Trying to save the CC apps for hyatt and club Carlson cards. One for two nights at park hyatt in NY around Xmas and the other for the nights in Galway. Lady BR is against signing up for cards at this point in time so I've got to gather points myself for two ppl

yeah...   I will point out though Aer Lingus from Chicago>Dublin is only 7.5hrs, so you're probably all-in about 10 hrs vs. 27.....think of all the extra time you would have there.

good luck!

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
I guess the other problem is the one way ticket. I could do it through united for less fee but it's only round trip. The more expensive one on fees is return from amsterdam

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: July 15, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
Appreciate the assistance Mikey!  These ideas were ones I hadn't checked out

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: July 15, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
I guess the other problem is the one way ticket. I could do it through united for less fee but it's only round trip. The more expensive one on fees is return from amsterdam

assuming the AMS flight connects through UK you are getting hit with the APD.    No way to avoid it connecting through UK, LHR just adds more on top.  That might be a reason to look harder into Iberia or AirBerlin for that leg to reduce fees.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: July 16, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
Does anyone know anything about biking Rocky Mountain National Park?  Thinking something friendly to a couple in their 40's in decent shape, not like triathlete shape.  Assume they have to rent bikes, and they are open to both pavement riding and well manicured gravel trails.  Thanks guys.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: July 17, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
Does anyone know anything about biking Rocky Mountain National Park?  Thinking something friendly to a couple in their 40's in decent shape, not like triathlete shape.  Assume they have to rent bikes, and they are open to both pavement riding and well manicured gravel trails.  Thanks guys.

RMNP is pretty big. Are you thinking of using Estes as your starting point?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: July 17, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »

RMNP is pretty big. Are you thinking of using Estes as your starting point?

I would guess so.  I'm asking for a Danish colleague who is visiting the US with his wife.  I am pretty familiar with RMNP from a hiking/fishing standpoint, but I know he likes to bike, and I doubt he's flying his bikes over here for a vacation.  I suggested they stay in Estes or Grand Lake, dine there, but I get the feeling they want to get away from people and will therefore spend the majority of the day in the park.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: July 20, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
@gooch

Not shopped

[attachment deleted by admin]