Author Topic: '17 ksu the cats vs '18 ksu the cats  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: '17 ksu the cats vs '18 ksu the cats
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »
I somewhat agree with last post

TCU is a good team. Went 2-1 vs them

Baylor OU UT OkSt ASU Ga are mediocre teams went 8-2 vs them.

We did go 0-6 vs Overall Top 16 in the NCAA (I'm not counting No Dean/Barry loss to a 1seed)

Big difference is this team closed out tight games better. Ga, Texas both games, Tcu at home and  at Sprint. 

Last year's team was 1 win away from being 10-11 seed and not in Dayton. This year's team is 1 win away from a 7 seed.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 11:11:32 PM »
1st Claws quit being timid.  2nd, we have guys who can score 20+ in a game.  3rd,  Diarra.
4th Coach Korn coaching up the bigs.  5th, Gruntley.
I like this team better than the other because it has grit and gumption.  Most coming from Brown.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 11:13:06 PM »
I liked last year’s better. More pak’n and kp30nt.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »
It's a blatant misapplication, but I'm sure you knew that. What an incredibly dumbass way to attempt to justify a flawed premise.

i don't think it is, in what way do you think it is?

If he were actually interested in the conversation the answer is so obvious it'd be a three post thread.

i wouldn't have posed the question if i wasn't interested in what people's thoughts were.  i have various half-formed theories of my own, but i'm interested in what other people believe.

1. Kenpom is not designed to compare one year to the next. Each year is in its own vacuum, again I'm not telling you anything you don't know.
2. Let's for a second accept your flawed premise that last year's team was better than this one based on their kenpom rating. The reason why people would like this team more is because that team underachieved where as this one clearly didn't. If you're so hellbent on simply using kenpom to make conclusions on what should be, at least acknowledge that we lost one game all year he had us favored to win, but won several that we weren't supposed to.

Not withstanding any of the previously mentioned, this team won more and has a first team and second team all conference player, duh. I don't know if you still watch K-State games or why you watch them if you do, but 99% of sports fans watch their favorite team to win games and to be entertained.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 12:45:30 AM »
1. Kenpom is not designed to compare one year to the next. Each year is in its own vacuum, again I'm not telling you anything you don't know.
2. Let's for a second accept your flawed premise that last year's team was better than this one based on their kenpom rating. The reason why people would like this team more is because that team underachieved where as this one clearly didn't. If you're so hellbent on simply using kenpom to make conclusions on what should be, at least acknowledge that we lost one game all year he had us favored to win, but won several that we weren't supposed to.

Not withstanding any of the previously mentioned, this team won more and has a first team and second team all conference player, duh. I don't know if you still watch K-State games or why you watch them if you do, but 99% of sports fans watch their favorite team to win games and to be entertained.

1.  it's not designed to do so, but i think it's a pretty fair use.  there's no reason to think the mean quality of college basketball teams is going to dramatically fluctuate from one year to the next.  350 teams is a robust sample size.  you might get into problems if you're comparing across widely different eras, like a team from the 60s to a current team.  but within the last 17 years i think it's pretty safe.

2a.  last year's team didn't underachieve, they actually finished one spot higher in the big 12 than they "should" have.  they just didn't overachieve (in terms of conference record) as much as this year's team did.

2b.  you seem to have some weird preconception about what you think i'm arguing - i've never argued that this team didn't overachieve, nor have i argued that people shouldn't prefer this team to last year's team.

2c.  i think i agree with you that having a couple of third year players that were genuinely among the best in the conference does have an influence.  obviously, last year's team had good players too, but it was more a sum of parts effort.

btw, i've watched most of kstate's big 12 games, those that i haven't watched i listened to on the radio.  i think i saw a couple of the non-con games, and probably listened to a couple more, but didn't follow closely until conference play started.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 01:12:03 AM »
If I expect anything I'm afraid it's gonna turn out like 2017 football...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 03:11:42 AM »
2b.  you seem to have some weird preconception about what you think i'm arguing - i've never argued that this team didn't overachieve, nor have i argued that people shouldn't prefer this team to last year's team.

If you don't feel this way I'm very confused as to why you're asking, the entire premise. You asked a question with an obvious answer then followed that up by suggesting that we should use the kenpom of last year's team to help with the decision, as if that's a normal or even remotely an acceptable thing to do. I mean the only way to answer 2017 is the way trim did.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 06:18:15 AM »
Kenpom isn't the pope
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd