Author Topic: CBO and Trumpcare (Ryancare?)  (Read 7898 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
CBO and Trumpcare (Ryancare?)
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »
https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/115th-congress-2017-2018/costestimate/americanhealthcareact_0.pdf

Those provisions, taken together, would reduce projected deficits by $935 billion over the 2017-2026 period. Other provisions would increase deficits by $599 billion, mostly by reducing tax revenues. All told, deficits would be reduced by $337 billion over that period, CBO and JCT estimate.

That reduction would stem primarily from lower enrollment throughout the period, culminating in 14 million fewer Medicaid enrollees by 2026, a reduction of about 17 percent relative to the number under current law.

According to CBO’s estimates, that effect would be modest in the near term, but by 2026, on an average annual basis, 5 million fewer people would be enrolled in Medicaid than would have been enrolled under current law.

Roughly 2 million fewer people, on net, would enroll in employment-based coverage in 2020, and that number would grow to roughly 7 million in 2026. Part of that net reduction in employment-based coverage would occur because fewer employees would take up the offer of such coverage in the absence of the individual mandate penalties.

The legislation would tend to increase average premiums in the nongroup market prior to 2020 and lower average premiums thereafter, relative to the outcomes under current law.

Later, following additional changes to subsidies for insurance purchased in the nongroup market and to the Medicaid program, the increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number under current law would rise to 21 million in 2020 and then to 24 million in 2026.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: CBO and Trumpcare (Ryancare?)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »
Sounds good.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:43:56 PM »
The best part was when people in congress screamed fake news at it

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
64 year old making $26,500 currently paying $1,600, would pay $14,600 under AHCA
64 year old making $68,200 currently paying $15,300, would pay $14,600 under AHCA

:confused:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
when all the poor people die because they can't afford healthcare, who will work in all of the rich peoples factories?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »
Robots

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:56 PM »
robots and immigrants

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
64 year old making $26,500 currently paying $1,600, would pay $14,600 under AHCA
64 year old making $68,200 currently paying $15,300, would pay $14,600 under AHCA

$14,600 in out of pocket expenses for Person A works out to 143 days out of their work year (55%!!) just to afford their healthcare. Have fun eating all that cat food, Person A! Best you can hope for is that it's not Trump brand cat food.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »
It's worth noting that the CBO completely botched its scoring and predictions regarding Obamacare. Politically, this isn't helpful to the GOP (or could it save them from a serious blunder?), but substantively it is almost meaningless.

CBO scoring aside, there is much to dislike about this bill, mainly because it doesn't touch anything the GOP isn't confident they can press through with budget reconciliation (50 votes) - which is basically a whole lot of Obamacare's most shitty shittiness.

The GOP says not to worry, those reforms will be in the "Phase 2 and 3" but if the Dems are going to filibuster those phases anyway, wouldn't the politically smart move be to do comprehensive reform while Dems still own the imploding Obamacare shitstorm? Once the GOP rams through phase 1, they own it, and phase 1 doesn't fix much of anything and may make things worse without the other reforms.

Which is why it might actually be a good thing if the CBO encourages the GOP to hit the abort button and go to a more comprehensive approach.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
The GOP could just be incompetent, but a cynic might conclude that the insurance lobbyists crafted this bill to avoid market competition and preserve taxpayer subsidies. Just like they got with Obamacare. Cynical, I know....
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »

1 yr from medicare, dummy
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »
If they go through with this, they're crazy imo

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
Neither Obamacare or this plan fixes healthcare. Too many lobbyists to actually fix it vs what these plans do and just shift around who pays for a bad system
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:57:31 AM by Phil Titola »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »
Medicare for all.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »
It's worth noting that the CBO completely botched its scoring and predictions regarding Obamacare. Politically, this isn't helpful to the GOP (or could it save them from a serious blunder?), but substantively it is almost meaningless.

CBO scoring aside, there is much to dislike about this bill, mainly because it doesn't touch anything the GOP isn't confident they can press through with budget reconciliation (50 votes) - which is basically a whole lot of Obamacare's most shitty shittiness.

The GOP says not to worry, those reforms will be in the "Phase 2 and 3" but if the Dems are going to filibuster those phases anyway, wouldn't the politically smart move be to do comprehensive reform while Dems still own the imploding Obamacare shitstorm? Once the GOP rams through phase 1, they own it, and phase 1 doesn't fix much of anything and may make things worse without the other reforms.

Which is why it might actually be a good thing if the CBO encourages the GOP to hit the abort button and go to a more comprehensive approach.

Yeah. I don't even think most of the republicans like it, but enough of them are terrified of Trump that it just might pass.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 08:36:03 AM »

Yeah. I don't even think most of the republicans like it, but enough of them are terrified of Trump that it just might pass.

They should be terrified. Look how he neutered Ryan and Cruz.  I used to hear Ted Cruz's opinion on every little thing and now it's like he's not even in the Senate anymore.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »

Yeah. I don't even think most of the republicans like it, but enough of them are terrified of Drumpf that it just might pass.

They should be terrified. Look how he neutered Ryan and Cruz.  I used to hear Ted Cruz's opinion on every little thing and now it's like he's not even in the Senate anymore.

If they had any balls they would, but they don't want to miss the chance of maybe reigning him in. All of it is a mess, oh well.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Wouldn't that 64 year old be sitting on a crap ton of retirement money?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »

Probably not. Most people are idiots.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »

Probably not. Most people are idiots.

Well, then in your idiot scenario wouldn't the person still be working?  And wouldn't they be making a lot more than $24k or whatever it was?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 10:01:40 AM »
emo, shut up

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
21 year old making 26k pays 1700 now would pay 1450!
40 year old making 26k pays 1700 now would pay 2400

21 year old making 68k pays 5100 now would pay 1450
40 year old making 68k pays 6500 now would pay 2400

Perfectly sane.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »
Hot damn young wealthy people are about to get paid son!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 10:45:39 AM »

You realize that the CBO estimates were off because nearly half the states in this country decided to eff their own citizens right?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »
Hot damn young wealthy people are about to get paid son!

this thing would be great for me.  perfectly timed too.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."