Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4060630 times)

Houstoncat93 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26800 on: November 21, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
After moving to the east coast, I disagree. Rutgers is very popular in NJ/NY.

I think it's the overall package of them never being good at anything and their complete inability to run an athletic department without periodically setting it, and the surrounding area, on fire.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26801 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
I may have said this before in the thread, but I'm not going back to look.

If we do choose to expand, it needs to be with the thought of eventually trying to extract Louisville and Pitt or FSU from the ACC as #13 and #14 if we go that route.

Odds are that Clemson will never go because they're a founding member.  GT and the rest of those schools are elite East Coast academics that won't want to connect to "flyover country".

Louisville and FSU are not charter members, they're kind of black sheep (FSU due to their football worship and Louisville for their academics related to all other schools).

The ACC Network has been pushed back for at least two more years per the GT president a few weeks back.  ACC schools are relying on subsidies to stay competitive, and in ten years or so, FSU's revenues will be far outpaced by the SEC schools that surround them.  They currently rank #17 in total revenue (they'd be 4th in the Big 12), they're pulling in almost $8 million a year in subsidy from the university (around 8%), and without that money, they'd be in the red.  Compare that to Florida, who ranks #9 in revenue, and even without subsidy, ran a profit of over $10 million last year.  As we move into the next round of GOR expiration and TV negotiations, that's only going to get worse.

The Big Ten is going to reset the market here in 2016, and that may be a good or a bad thing.  All common thought by those who follow this closely is that we'd expand in 2017 to try and take advantage of that look-in provision in our contract.  We would also reset our GOR to extend out past the ACC GOR, effectively leaving them exposed around the same time as the playoff contract runs out.

If you look at it as a two step process where the first step is to reset the contract, get a CCG, and reset the GOR, then we expand with teams that would make it more likely Louisville (who is probably most likely to jump) and FSU will want to head to the Big 12.

Louisville's two primary rivals, outside of Kentucky, are Cincinnati and Memphis.  They also had another rivalry starting with WVU as they were leaving the Big East.  If Memphis and Cincy were in the Big 12 for several years, with our revenues, that would only increase their basketball programs, which would make it more of a lateral move for their basketball team, and an upgrade for their football team.

If Louisville jumps, that may make the ACC shaky again.  That's when you make another run at FSU.  If they say no, fine.  Make another run at Pitt.  If they say no, figure something out with BYU, Houston, or whoever.

Anyway, that's my thought.  Expand with the thought of ultimately getting FSU.  Just know that the thought of bringing over 4-6 ACC teams is pretty low.  A lot of them are fine not making money as long as they're still playing high level basketball alongside prestigious East Coast schools like Duke, UNC, UVA, GT, etc.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26802 on: November 21, 2015, 10:02:34 AM »
That's a nice dream, but not getting either unless the ACC dissolves.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26803 on: November 21, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
pan pulls through again.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26804 on: November 21, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »
That's a nice dream, but not getting either unless the ACC dissolves.

Well...it depends on what you mean by "dissolves". 

The ACC, like the Big 12, will have a cycle of TV contracts expiring and renewing.  If the Big 12 can extend it's GOR out past theirs, you may have some ACC schools unwilling to re-sign the GOR agreement.  Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, etc. are schools that share a state with SEC schools that are raking in money.  It's going to be a problem, and the fact that ESPN keeps kicking the ACC Network down the road is a big dissatisfier for a number of them.

Dan Wolken recently had a series of tweets where he spoke with some ACC Presidents and AD's that say there's a "Power 4", and they're not in it.  There's an undercurrent of dissatisfaction if you speak with fan bases outside of UNC/UVA.  There's an outside chance that during contract renegotiation that Louisville and FSU, especially FSU, may get a little heated.  If Louisville/FSU choose to look around at that time, we may be the landing spot.

They could be the ones to defect first, like Maryland did.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26805 on: November 27, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »
Mark me down as officially worried. If OU loses to OSU tomorrow, they'll be the third Big 12 team to finish with one loss but not get an invite to the playoffs. OU's "blow it up" rhetoric will be charging full steam ahead down the tracks and our school will get shoved off to the side in the process.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26806 on: November 27, 2015, 11:54:29 PM »
Mark me down as officially worried. If OU loses to OSU tomorrow, they'll be the third Big 12 team to finish with one loss but not get an invite to the playoffs. OU's "blow it up" rhetoric will be charging full steam ahead down the tracks and our school will get shoved off to the side in the process.

I'm pretty confused here because if OU loses they'll definitely have 2 losses.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26807 on: November 28, 2015, 12:01:21 AM »
Persecution complex
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26808 on: November 28, 2015, 05:28:44 AM »

Pretty sure he's talking about OSU not getting in.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26809 on: November 28, 2015, 05:55:13 AM »
I am rooting for a one loss Notre Dame to be left out.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26810 on: November 28, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »

Pretty sure he's talking about OSU not getting in.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is confusing. Last year, TCU and BU got left out with one loss. This year, if OSU finishes 11-1, they'll be left out with one loss as well. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26811 on: November 28, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »
People think the winner of OU/OSU will be in.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26812 on: November 28, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
People think the winner of OU/OSU will be in.
Only OU stands a chance.  OSU is too insignificant to count to the CFP Committee.  Mark my word; cause I'll eat one of Gundie's
ball caps if they get in.  :crossfingers:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26813 on: November 28, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
don't really care anymore if the big 12 continues or not.  without mu, nu and even a&m, it's not that fun anymore anyways.  playing tcu, tech and wvu all the time isn't worth hanging on to.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26814 on: November 28, 2015, 04:51:02 PM »
That's true sys.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26815 on: November 28, 2015, 05:11:33 PM »

don't really care anymore if the big 12 continues or not.  without mu, nu and even a&m, it's not that fun anymore anyways.  playing tcu, tech and wvu all the time isn't worth hanging on to.

I vote we end amateur sport in college all together.  College is for scholars not athletes.  The European model is better.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26816 on: November 28, 2015, 05:17:29 PM »
you're probably right, pete.  we don't really need collegiate sports anymore (thanks, royals).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26817 on: November 28, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »
I would love to go all in on the royals and sporting.  How do we kill college athletics?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26818 on: November 28, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »
Now that we have observed (again) at Missouri the power the players have when they organize, maybe we will see renewed enthusiasm for players collectively bargaining to get their fair share of college profits.  I am rooting for them!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26819 on: November 28, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »
The Mountain West seems like a bunch of nice folk. Seriously!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26820 on: November 29, 2015, 11:32:11 PM »
Des Moines television station gave Jamie Pollard credit for "helping keep the big 12 together." Did I miss or forget something?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26821 on: November 29, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »
Des Moines television station gave Jamie Pollard credit for "helping keep the big 12 together." Did I miss or forget something?

No, he didn't do crap.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26822 on: November 30, 2015, 01:26:40 AM »

No, he didn't do crap.

No one at ISU had the kind of juice to help keep the Big 12 together. No one.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26823 on: November 30, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »

No, he didn't do crap.

Not true.  I doubt he missed a single conference call or meeting that he was invited to.  I'd bet a lot of money that he had perfect attendance when invited.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26824 on: November 30, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »

No, he didn't do crap.

Not true.  I doubt he missed a single conference call or meeting that he was invited to.  I'd bet a lot of money that he had perfect attendance when invited.
He probably threw a tantrum when somebody mentioned the breakup. Drove everyone crazy, didn't break up.

Gonna win 'em all!