Author Topic: The trade wars begin  (Read 114356 times)

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
The trade wars begin
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
Tariffs on asian solar panels and washing machines

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The trade wars begin
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:39:38 AM »
That sucks.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
so, like, republicans are now the democrats and democrats are now the republicans on economic issues. it's like the small gov v. big gov flip of the early 1900s and the civil rights flip of the late 60s/70s.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
so, like, republicans are now the democrats and democrats are now the republicans on economic issues. it's like the small gov v. big gov flip of the early 1900s and the civil rights flip of the late 60s/70s.

I'm not sure the democrats have completely moved over to free trade or if the republicans will stick with the America First crap after Trump is gone.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:00:47 AM »
On a positive note, I get paid on top line sales. Tariffs make me more money as long as business keeps moving.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
Oh the horror. A tariff on solar panels and washing machines.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
I mean, China produces 64% of the worlds silicon. They could just stop selling it to us.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
China could completely clownsuit us in a trade war.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
Not surprising that K-S-U is now against free trade.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »

He defended financially backing a pedophile politician and the president calling other countries shitholes.  He's not even close to finding his limit.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »
FLIP FLOP
FLIP FLOP
FLIP FLOP

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »
They took er jobs!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

I'm not sure the democrats have completely moved over to free trade or if the republicans will stick with the America First crap after Trump is gone.

i read a good thing on macron/macronism a couple days back.  on the destruction of the left/right axis in french politics and incipient formation of a new axis along a technocrat/elite/global v populist/nationalist lines.  you can see threads of the same in us politics, but, at least up to now, the existing parties have co-opted the divisions of the new axis into the existing parties (i'm not sure, but i also don't believe there is quite the same white v nonwhite division in french politics as in american, but perhaps that is changing).

the upside is that i'll feel more comfortable in a party of the global elite than i ever did in either of the old 'pubs or the old 'crats.  the downside is when the ignorant, unwashed hordes are in power i have nothing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 09:46:28 AM »

i read a good thing on macron/macronism a couple days back.  on the destruction of the left/right axis in french politics and incipient formation of a new axis along a technocrat/elite/global v populist/nationalist lines.  you can see threads of the same in us politics, but, at least up to now, the existing parties have co-opted the divisions of the new axis into the existing parties (i'm not sure, but i also don't believe there is quite the same white v nonwhite division in french politics as in american, but perhaps that is changing).

the upside is that i'll feel more comfortable in a party of the global elite than i ever did in either of the old 'pubs or the old 'crats.  the downside is when the ignorant, unwashed hordes are in power i have nothing.

I think the interesting thing about these divisions being co-opted by existing parties is that most people will not choose their party based upon their ideas, but will instead just start adopting the ideas that their chosen party does.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »

the dude would be pro killing his own mom if republicans wanted to

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »

I support free trade. I'm also not losing my crap over every little thing Trump does. This is not a big deal. Isn't it exhausting always being so hysterical?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »

I support free trade. I'm also not losing my crap over every little thing Trump does. This is not a big deal. Isn't it exhausting always being so hysterical?

pointing out your hypocrisy is far less exhausting than having to constantly flip flop on issues to defend a party. party defenders are an interesting group and you are one of the more interesting ones.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
It's like if Beems was super into politics and Ku were the pubs.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »

I think the interesting thing about these divisions being co-opted by existing parties is that most people will not choose their party based upon their ideas, but will instead just start adopting the ideas that their chosen party does.

i fail to see any examples of this in modern american politics

The Big Train

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »

pointing out your hypocrisy is far less exhausting than having to constantly flip flop on issues to defend a party. party defenders are an interesting group and you are one of the more interesting ones.

Flip flopping on issues to own the libs

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »
The hysteria of American politics is a real problem and has been since Obama.  Republicantards with Obama and now liberaltards with Trump.  I don't remember people being as constantly hysterical before Obama, but maybe the rise of social media has just made the hysteria more obvious.  omg have people always been hysterical about politics but it's only in the last 10 years that they were able to share their hysteria with the world?  What an interesting epiphany I had midway through this post.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
Earth to libtards: "free trade" is a two way street. You cannot free trade with China. This is Econ 010 stuff.

I think what you are asking for is ever growing disparity in the fairness between US and its trading partners. I.e, the barack obama economic model that creates a super class of part time waiters and welfare recipients.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 11:40:32 AM »
The hysteria of American politics is a real problem and has been since Obama.  Republicantards with Obama and now liberaltards with Trump.  I don't remember people being as constantly hysterical before Obama, but maybe the rise of social media has just made the hysteria more obvious.  omg have people always been hysterical about politics but it's only in the last 10 years that they were able to share their hysteria with the world?  What an interesting epiphany I had midway through this post.

You don't remember the hysteria of the GWB era? They thought 9/11 was a sham to go to war over oil, or something.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »

Why aren’t you making this point on the 5 other gE sports boards in a constant state of hysteria over the Wildcats/Chiefs/Royals?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
Does he really think he can bring back coal mining? JFC
:adios: