Author Topic: Trump owns Russia  (Read 765964 times)

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
Re: Trump owns Russia
« Reply #6225 on: July 15, 2018, 12:05:55 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize Moscow was on the table. Go get it, Donald!

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: July 15, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
Do not want Moscow, would take st pete tho
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: July 15, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »
Do not want Moscow, would take st pete tho

OMG!!!  It's not like you Lib to prove the POTUS right.  :Wha:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: July 15, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
It would be good if everyone took a moment to consider all of the elections the United States has interfered in (or just outright pulling off coups and assassinations/assassination attempts) and the damage they caused before we get on our high horse. It of course is a problem and one we need to work to solve, but there is a greater context.

sure, dax.  a bit of whataboutism is always worth a moment.

The NeoCon tendencies of the resident LibBots and Fake Centerists is a bit disturbing.   

Hey, sorry about that coup, man, we’ll reflect and do better next time.  Don’t be mad, tho. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: July 15, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
It would be good if everyone took a moment to consider all of the elections the United States has interfered in (or just outright pulling off coups and assassinations/assassination attempts) and the damage they caused before we get on our high horse. It of course is a problem and one we need to work to solve, but there is a greater context.
We get it, you hate America

No, I really don't. Surprised to see you on the KSUW "American Exceptionalism" train.

Good opportunity for people to learn some history and reflect. Most will not bother.
I don’t know about “American Exceptionalism” as that implies an ideological superiority. I don’t think that is relevant here.  I certainly think it is fine for us to have a different standard for others doing things to us than us doing things to others. That’s what power is for, we have the most, and it is good that we use it. We shouldn’t play by the same rules as some two-bit nothing country.

I'm surprised by how bluntly you put this. This is the Cheney/Kissinger worldview "if we do it, it is legal" and "we should because we can." That is largely the rationale that we operate under. The hubris of it is worth acknowledging, particularly when you see what it has wrought. Even on its own terms it often ends in misery for the US.

Given that you embrace this logic for us, it is even harder to see how Russia wouldn't apply the same logic to themselves.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: July 15, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »

sure, dax.  a bit of whataboutism is always worth a moment.

you would've been a Contra.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: July 15, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »
We get it, you hate America

No, I really don't. Surprised to see you on the KSUW "American Exceptionalism" train.

Good opportunity for people to learn some history and reflect. Most will not bother.
I don’t know about “American Exceptionalism” as that implies an ideological superiority. I don’t think that is relevant here.  I certainly think it is fine for us to have a different standard for others doing things to us than us doing things to others. That’s what power is for, we have the most, and it is good that we use it. We shouldn’t play by the same rules as some two-bit nothing country.

I'm surprised by how bluntly you put this. This is the Cheney/Kissinger worldview "if we do it, it is legal" and "we should because we can." That is largely the rationale that we operate under. The hubris of it is worth acknowledging, particularly when you see what it has wrought. Even on its own terms it often ends in misery for the US.

Given that you embrace this logic for us, it is even harder to see how Russia wouldn't apply the same logic to themselves.

I didn’t know until awhile back, but apparently Barrack was a fan of Brent Snowcroft, which is confusing, interesting and somewhat telling.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: July 15, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »

if you want to argue that we should mind our own business a bit more on the world stage, feel free to advance that argument.  but if you advance it in relation to a foreign country interfering in our elections, the only three possibilities i see are:

1.  we've interfered with other countries, ergo we deserve this as penance.
2.  we've interfered with other countries, ergo we cannot complain in turn lest we commit the cardinal sin of hypocrisy.
3.  we've interfered with other countries and i'd rather talk about that than talk about the issue at hand, ergo "whatabout us tho".

frankly, i'm extending you the benefit of the doubt in assuming your point is the third, as the first two are mindbendingly stupid.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: July 15, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »

if you want to argue that we should mind our own business a bit more on the world stage, feel free to advance that argument.  but if you advance it in relation to a foreign country interfering in our elections, the only three possibilities i see are:

2.  we've interfered with other countries, ergo we cannot complain in turn lest we commit the cardinal sin of hypocrisy.
3.  we've interfered with other countries and i'd rather talk about that than talk about the issue at hand, ergo "whatabout us tho".

frankly, i'm extending you the benefit of the doubt in assuming your point is the third, as the first two are mindbendingly stupid.

I'm more concerned with the first principle of whether or not interfering in elections is bad or good. 8man thinks it is only good when we do it.

Your "hypocrisy" straw man really betrays an ignorance of the entire subject. Setting and enforcing norms is the basis for a lot of IR theory, even from denizens of hard power. Is there even the illusion of international order when there are no norms at all? It isn't "penance" or "hypocrisy" but rather a pretty logical development of how major powers can exert power on each other without triggering a nuclear war. We couldn't have anticipated this exact response when we overthrew the Shah, but we might've at plenty of other stages.

And this issue isn't some abstraction, we inserted Boris Yeltsin. We actively engaged in a mutual struggle that ended in the collapse of their entire empire. It isn't that we've interfered with "other countries." We've interfered quite a lot with this country. I'm not saying that I am happy about any of this, but the sense of righteous victimhood or the rush to re-start a Cold War (or even a hot one!) are not healthy.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: July 15, 2018, 03:04:57 PM »
Setting and enforcing norms is the basis for a lot of IR theory, even from denizens of hard power. Is there even the illusion of international order when there are no norms at all?

that's a fine point.

We've interfered quite a lot with this country. I'm not saying that I am happy about any of this, but the sense of righteous victimhood or the rush to re-start a Cold War (or even a hot one!) are not healthy.

if your point is nothing more than we should feel less self-righteous as we vigorously defend ourselves from election interference, i guess i don't care one way or another.  i certainly did not understood that to be your point though.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: July 15, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
Setting and enforcing norms is the basis for a lot of IR theory, even from denizens of hard power. Is there even the illusion of international order when there are no norms at all?

that's a fine point.

We've interfered quite a lot with this country. I'm not saying that I am happy about any of this, but the sense of righteous victimhood or the rush to re-start a Cold War (or even a hot one!) are not healthy.

if your point is nothing more than we should feel less self-righteous as we vigorously defend ourselves from election interference, i guess i don't care one way or another.  i certainly did not understood that to be your point though.

no. obviously the effects of states consistently interfering in each other's elections has HUGE implications for democracy. which is bad for us and lots of other countries.

I also think that the way in which people are engaging in this story has led large segments to want to militarize and to escalate in more direct provocations with Russia, this too far outweighs "self-righteousness" as a harm, but the "self-righteousness" is the manner through which we will build the will to build the weapons that we later use.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: July 15, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
as a country, i think our inclination has been to take far too little umbrage at russia's interference rather than the reverse.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: July 15, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
as a country, i think our inclination has been to take far too little umbrage at russia's interference rather than the reverse.

I don't think you see what's coming.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: July 15, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
i hope you're right.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: July 15, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
Post what's coming kk
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6240 on: July 15, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »

I'm more concerned with the first principle of whether or not interfering in elections is bad or good. 8man thinks it is only good when we do it.

Your "hypocrisy" straw man really betrays an ignorance of the entire subject. Setting and enforcing norms is the basis for a lot of IR theory, even from denizens of hard power. Is there even the illusion of international order when there are no norms at all? It isn't "penance" or "hypocrisy" but rather a pretty logical development of how major powers can exert power on each other without triggering a nuclear war. We couldn't have anticipated this exact response when we overthrew the Shah, but we might've at plenty of other stages.

And this issue isn't some abstraction, we inserted Boris Yeltsin. We actively engaged in a mutual struggle that ended in the collapse of their entire empire. It isn't that we've interfered with "other countries." We've interfered quite a lot with this country. I'm not saying that I am happy about any of this, but the sense of righteous victimhood or the rush to re-start a Cold War (or even a hot one!) are not healthy.
I don’t think it’s necessarily good when we do it, though I imagine there are cases where it has been. I think it is far more important to not allow someone to do it to us that it is to wallow in our American shame for all of the bad things we’ve done.

My point wasn’t so much that we should meddle in other elections, but that whether we do or not should have no influence on how we react to a similar action being taken toward us.

My ideal view is isolationist, but that isn’t realistic
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: July 15, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »

I don’t think it’s necessarily good when we do it, though I imagine there are cases where it has been. I think it is far more important to not allow someone to do it to us that it is to wallow in our American shame for all of the bad things we’ve done.

My point wasn’t so much that we should meddle in other elections, but that whether we do or not should have no influence on how we react to a similar action being taken toward us.

You acknowledge that there is a relationship between us doing things and the likelihood that others might do them too?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: July 15, 2018, 04:05:31 PM »

You acknowledge that there is a relationship between us doing things and the likelihood that others might do them too?
Clearly. Should we allow other countries to drone strike us too? Whether we do or don’t meddle has nothing to do with whether we exert our great power to prevent others from doing the same to us
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: July 15, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »
The fact that Russians were able to influence anyone at all via their methods paints a sorry picture of the collective intellect of our country.   

But lost as always is the fact the real propaganda campaign didn’t begin until after the election. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: July 15, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »

Clearly. Should we allow other countries to drone strike us too? Whether we do or don’t meddle has nothing to do with whether we exert our great power to prevent others from doing the same to us

Not allow. But consider what the consequences are of using our power. The fact that Iran, for instance, has a pretty formidable drone army and that drones are now going to be an increasingly important part of warfare (as opposed to say the $ Trillion + F-35) means we should probably think pretty carefully about what kind of norms we want to set around it’s use. Same for torture, same for nuclear weapons, same for the weaponization of space. The notion that we can just will ourselves in to being a Goliath that exercises absolute control over he world is exactly the kind of hubris that brought us Iraq and Afghanistan which are both monuments to our failure to be some sort of all-powerful force for good (or bad). There are limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: July 15, 2018, 07:02:21 PM »
We should do anything and everything we can to stay on top.  No one will treat us any better after our decline in power because we were fair and just while we had it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: July 15, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: July 16, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
Man the New NeoCons are really melting down.

John Dean's White House boss held a summit in Moscow when the United States was quite literally engaged in all out war with Russian proxy states, and the Soviet regime and it's proxies were engaged in human rights violations far exceeding anything that goes on today.  But, history doesn't matter.