Author Topic: Religion And Politics  (Read 824 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Religion And Politics
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2024, 07:39:34 AM »
To me, the most mind boggling aspect today is the disregard for the First Amendment. The people who not only clearly believe that the US should be a much more devout Christian nation, but also that the GOVERNMENT should be making that happen.

It's the same level of crazy as the people who say they're done with democracy in the US.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2024, 09:26:13 AM »
I suppose an important distinction is you won’t find me using "a black hole 1500 light years away" as justification for eradicating entire groups of the population.

Not the best litmus test to determine the difference between faith and belief, but a great way to know whether you’re an bad person.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2024, 09:49:13 AM »
To me, the most mind boggling aspect today is the disregard for the First Amendment. The people who not only clearly believe that the US should be a much more devout Christian nation, but also that the GOVERNMENT should be making that happen.

It's the same level of crazy as the people who say they're done with democracy in the US.

We're definitely going to be getting out at the right time. In 40 years this place is going to be a crap hole.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2024, 10:20:25 AM »
I suppose an important distinction is you won’t find me using "a black hole 1500 light years away" as justification for eradicating entire groups of the population.

Not the best litmus test to determine the difference between faith and belief, but a great way to know whether you’re an bad person.

Specific to that example, I'm quite certain it's fair to say that if you support an ethnic cleansing -- no matter what the reason -- you are an bad person

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2024, 12:45:58 PM »

We're definitely going to be getting out at the right time. In 40 years this place is going to be a crap hole.

I will probably still be here for it, but I will be sure to close the door on the way out.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2024, 03:00:03 PM »

Said members of every generation in probably ever.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2024, 09:48:55 AM »

A new study from Pew Research finds that the religiously unaffiliated – a group comprised of atheists, agnostic and those who say their religion is "nothing in particular" – is now the largest cohort in the U.S. They're more prevalent among American adults than Catholics (23%) or evangelical Protestants (24%).

He says the growth of Nones could affect American public life.

"We know politically for example," Smith says, "that religious Nones are very distinctive. They are among the most strongly and consistently liberal and Democratic constituencies in the United States."

And that could change electoral politics in the coming decades.

The political power of white Evangelicals has been well-reported in recent decades, but their numbers are shrinking while the number of the more liberal Nones is on the rise.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/24/1226371734/religious-nones-are-now-the-largest-single-group-in-the-u-s#:~:text=Natacha%20Pisarenko%2FAP-,Religiously%20unaffiliated%20people%20now%20make%20up%2028%25%20of%20U.S.%20adults,than%20Catholics%20or%20evangelical%20Protestants.&text=When%20Americans%20are%20asked%20to,28%25%20now%20check%20'none.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2024, 09:56:57 AM »
The thing is, us Nones have other things that we prioritize, rather than one unifying cause. I say that while understanding that not all Christians vote primarily for religious ideals, but a lot do. A lot are swayed by them at very least. For this reason, us Nones are probably going to be harder to organize as a voting block.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2024, 10:14:05 AM »
More on the “Nones”

Our survey data shows:

Most “nones” believe in God or another higher power. But very few go to religious services regularly.

Most say religion does some harm, but many also think it does some good. They are not uniformly anti-religious.

Most “nones” reject the idea that science can explain everything. But they express more positive views of science than religiously affiliated Americans do.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2024/01/24/religious-nones-in-america-who-they-are-and-what-they-believe/

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2024, 10:22:03 AM »
This one was done in 2022, but it accurately predicted the continued growth of “Nones” through today. The models show possibility of “Nones” as the majority in the US by 2070.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/modeling-the-future-of-religion-in-america/

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2024, 10:53:55 AM »
Welp, I won’t get to see it, I guess.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2024, 11:14:20 AM »
Welp, I won’t get to see it, I guess.
Me neither, I don’t come from long-lived people.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2024, 11:17:36 AM »

A new study from Pew Research finds that the religiously unaffiliated – a group comprised of atheists, agnostic and those who say their religion is "nothing in particular" – is now the largest cohort in the U.S. They're more prevalent among American adults than Catholics (23%) or evangelical Protestants (24%).

He says the growth of Nones could affect American public life.

"We know politically for example," Smith says, "that religious Nones are very distinctive. They are among the most strongly and consistently liberal and Democratic constituencies in the United States."

And that could change electoral politics in the coming decades.

The political power of white Evangelicals has been well-reported in recent decades, but their numbers are shrinking while the number of the more liberal Nones is on the rise.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/24/1226371734/religious-nones-are-now-the-largest-single-group-in-the-u-s#:~:text=Natacha%20Pisarenko%2FAP-,Religiously%20unaffiliated%20people%20now%20make%20up%2028%25%20of%20U.S.%20adults,than%20Catholics%20or%20evangelical%20Protestants.&text=When%20Americans%20are%20asked%20to,28%25%20now%20check%20'none.

It me.