Author Topic: Oh-Bama: playing with the numbers  (Read 12641 times)

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Oh-Bama: playing with the numbers
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
Maybe there are a lot of butthurt assholes just laying off everyone with an Obama bumper sticker like I keep hearing about on the radio.

or we're heading into a nasty recession, and Obamacare is going to make it even worse

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »
sounds like a lot of butthurt loser companies are waiting for the gubment to help them not lay off employees.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
The herd is thinning. Nothing to see here. If your company can't handle a recession, you probably shouldn't be running a company anyway.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »
sounds like a lot of butthurt loser companies are waiting for the gubment to help them not lay off employees.

Obama has said he wants to bail out lots of companies like he did with GM and Chrysler, so it makes sense.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »

Obama has said he wants to bail out lots of companies like he did with GM and Chrysler, so it makes sense.

Obama only said that so the losers in the herd would go ahead and thin themselves out. Recessions breed opportunity. Seize yours.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »

Obama only said that so the losers in the herd would go ahead and thin themselves out. Recessions breed opportunity. Seize yours.

OK Nancy Pelosi. Sounds like things are looking up.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
Somebody (Obama) is actually going to try to do something about the deficit and you all freak out about job numbers suddenly. You know the Republican response is to cut taxes and go deeper into debt. Also this proves that government spending is linked to economic performance. Look at Europe, where austerity has been the rule of the day and they are back in recession.

If a deal doesn't get done on taxes, the public is going to blame the Republicans for protecting rich people. The Democrats won the election and have the majority of people on their side.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
Somebody (Obama) is actually going to try to do something about the deficit and you all freak out about job numbers suddenly. You know the Republican response is to cut taxes and go deeper into debt. Also this proves that government spending is linked to economic performance. Look at Europe, where austerity has been the rule of the day and they are back in recession.

If a deal doesn't get done on taxes, the public is going to blame the Republicans for protecting rich people. The Democrats won the election and have the majority of people on their side.

Yes, the government must KEEP SPENDING!!!

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »

Exactly.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Hey Remember when the Democrats were swept in to take control of Congress in 2006.

They were gonna nip those budget deficits in the bud, they were gonna fix the economy, they were gonna slow the acceleration of the National Debt, they were gonna extract the United States from all of those wars.

Yeah . . . I remember.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Oh-Bama: playing with the numbers
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
Dax: neocon

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »

49% of the country is going to blame Obama for killing even more jobs. Republicans don't want to cut revenue, they just don't want to increase taxes. They do want to increase revenue, just not the same way as Obama.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »

49% of the country is going to blame Obama for killing even more jobs. Republicans don't want to cut revenue, they just don't want to increase taxes. They do want to increase revenue, just not the same way as Obama.

They don't really want to increase revenue.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
does anyone think we will see inflation?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »

From a neocon perspective, the current administration has carried on nicely. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
does anyone think we will see inflation?

God I hope so
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »

Of course they do, but through growth, not taxes. It's been done before.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2012, 02:27:37 AM »

Exactly.

oh. Well, what good will this do?

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »

Republicans don't want to cut revenue, they just don't want to increase taxes. They do want to increase revenue, just not the same way as Obama.

If you're talking about Reagan and the Laffer Curve, it's debatable that cutting taxes was the cause of increased revenue at that time.  (The smart President Bush called it "voo-doo economics.")  In any event, Reagan was cutting from a top tax rate of 70%.  Even the Laffer Curve can't support an argument that cutting tax rates further from current top rate boosts government income.  No, Republicans now just want to cut taxes, NOT increase revenue.

Exactly.

oh. Well, what good will this do?

1)  Increase societal goods such as schools, police, governmental services everyone uses (e.g., the DMV and the court system), infrastructure everyone uses (e.g., highways and bridges), and the social safety net for the elderly and less privileged.

2)  Increase the money in the economy because governmental spending gets into the economy more directly (and more completely) than tax cuts for people that will only put a small percentage of any cut back into the economy.  This improves the nation's economic numbers.

What bad will it do?
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
Inflation, for one.

That's just over the past decade

Austerity is necessary, and the painful recession that comes with it is part of the correction. Afterwards during recovery you don't have to tax the balls off of people because the government isn't as big. Thus resources are correctly allocated, whereas now they aren't and the economy is extremely leveraged. This debt sucks money out of the economy (your savings lose value, and taxes). Continuing down this death spiral with more schools and roads simply isn't going to help. The GDP equation pretty much tells this story

GDP = C + I + G + (net exports)

Of course the government does get to lie about GDP because they can manipulate G as they want. The more G goes up, the more it sucks out of C and I. So since the gov doesn't produce anything you have to subtract out G to get the true growth rate, which the last several years has been negative.

Hopefully they can get something done. Raising taxes and cut spending will be devastating, but it maybe necessary at this point

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
Raising taxes and cut spending will be devastating, but it maybe necessary at this point

Well, I'm of the opinion that going off the "fiscal cliff" would be better for the country than any deal that could be reached in the present environment.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
Why does everyone think that they president has something to do with the success or failure of the economy?  :dunno:

Because he has spent a couple of trillion dollars to try and prop it up?  :dunno: Maybe it was a waste of money.

The '09 stimulus was ~$800 billion.  Not even close to $2 trillion.  My guess is that you are confused by Republican mythology, and wrongly believe that Obama also signed TARP into law in October of 2008.  That was actually Bush, and most of TARP has been paid back by the big banks. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »

From a neocon perspective, the current administration has carried on nicely.

Yeah, leaving Iraq and Afghanistan and staying out of military conflict with countries like Libya, Syria, Iran, etc., etc. just screams neocon.  But let me guess, you're butthurt because we're actually utilizing our military technology and taking advantage of all the money we spend on things like drones. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »

Not really.  What do you think was supposed to happen after the Bush tax cuts?  It was supposed to broaden the tax base, and instead the middle class has shrunk, the rich have got richer, and we have been through the worst recession since the Great Depression.  The old "Reaganomics" ideas are out-dated and simply don't work for anyone outside of the top income brackets.  You guys beat off to Reagan, but the truth is that Reagan tripled national spending from $900 billion to $2.7 trillion over the course of his presidency, and also raised taxes eleven times (after his initial tax cut was too big).  It isn't the 1980's anymore... get some new ideas.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »
Why does everyone think that they president has something to do with the success or failure of the economy?  :dunno:

Because he has spent a couple of trillion dollars to try and prop it up?  :dunno: Maybe it was a waste of money.

The '09 stimulus was ~$800 billion.  Not even close to $2 trillion.  My guess is that you are confused by Republican mythology, and wrongly believe that Obama also signed TARP into law in October of 2008.  That was actually Bush, and most of TARP has been paid back by the big banks.

If you haven't noticed, we have been spending a $trillion dollars more than we have in every "budget" the last 3 years, not to mention the auto bailout. It's actually much, much, more than $2 trillion.