Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327243 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1075 on: July 25, 2015, 12:29:34 AM »
I think the market is turning into more of a stock picker's (or actively managed fund) market.

i don't.  but if it is, that's bad news.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #1076 on: July 25, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
is now the best time to buy crap tons of apple stock?

:impatient:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 25, 2015, 11:16:18 AM »

Yes.
I HOPE IT WORKS!

Gonna win 'em all!

The Big Train

« Reply #1078 on: July 25, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »

Yes.
I HOPE IT WORKS!

Gonna win 'em all!

how many farms worth is a good start?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 25, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
3 farms.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1080 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
What is wrong with vanguard mutual funds

I'm not saying anything is wrong with Vanguard funds, in fact I hold a decent amount of them. I like to be spread out and diversified, so that's why I was looking at Blackrock.
This comment is not necessarily meant for you, ShellShock, but more so for any newbie that came here looking for advice.
Diversified doesn't mean you should buy 7 separate funds from 7 different fund management companies. You might end up owning the exact same thing (or something very similar) with each company and could have increased your risks tremendously. You need to understand what the fund's objectives are before investing.
Personally, I think Vanguard has a pretty great selection of funds that can keep you more diversified that you can imagine. I own 4 (maybe 5?) with a decent amount of money in each.

I will add that it's good to be spread out between a couple companies if you're going this route though because each companies (Vanguard vs Blackrock vs whoever) index type funds have different stocks in them. Just because both are labeled as Healthcare Growth (or whatever fund it is), doesn't mean that it's the same across the board.

For instance, I have multiple holdings in several investment companies that basically hedge eachother. My healthcare fund one place has Cerner as one of it's main stocks and the other place has Epic. Those two companies are direct competitors so let them duke it out...because in the end, all it means for me is more $$$$.

Just my  :th_twocents:

I'm not sure how the other fund has stock in Epic.  It's a private company, and their CEO is viciously protective of that.

Of course, I could be wrong about something here.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:40 PM »
Just got my money in the new account this week.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:09:07 PM by michigancat »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 30, 2015, 06:48:29 AM »
Guys, I did some projections in a retirement calculator last night and then I ran the Monte Carlo simulation. Basically, there is about a 10% chance I will have $80 Million when I am 85. (Assuming my projections are accurate)

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 30, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »
The projections I used have about a 1% chance of being accurate. But still, $80 million!

Gonna win 'em all!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 30, 2015, 06:56:15 AM »
The projections I used have about a 1% chance of being accurate. But still, $80 million!

Gonna win 'em all!

85 isnt that far off for you, that 80 million is pretty exciting.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 30, 2015, 07:03:16 AM »
I can't wait to whip my 85 year old dick out on gE when I have a net worth of $80M. I will probably start a thread about it.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »
dobbersie, i think that means you can retire now.  congratulations.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 30, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »
dobbersie, i think that means you can retire now.  congratulations.
I had a lot of 'best case scenario' involved in the information I put into the calculator. I should probably keep working a couple more months just to be safe.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 30, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »
just remember, your time and health are limited resources too.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:52 PM »
"Just remember, your time and health are limited resources, too,"
said nobody who ever had a D1 Football Field or video board named after them.

Dobber Family Scoreboard at LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium will be triple the size of that Carl Ice Family bullshit.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »
dobber, i want you to be so wealthy that you buy one of those airship carriers like in the avengers, donate it 'cats football and we play our football games in the sky, hovering over the konza.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 30, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
dobber, i want you to be so wealthy that you buy one of those airship carriers like in the avengers, donate it 'cats football and we play our football games in the sky, hovering over the konza.
$80M looks like where I would top out at (again, this is a best case scenario, one tenth of a percent chance). Is that enough to buy one of those?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 30, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
$80M looks like where I would top out at (again, this is a best case scenario, one tenth of a percent chance). Is that enough to buy one of those?

No idea how much they cost but you could always take that 80m and put it on black in vegas  :dunno:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 30, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »

No idea how much they cost but you could always take that 80m and put it on black in vegas  :dunno:
I usually go for red. What now? (Not meant in the "what now mother rough rider" way)

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 31, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »
FYI- this email is included in my plan...
Dearest One,
With due Respect and Humanity I write to donate and hand over some fund to you for charity work for community development, schools, farmers, less privileges and building of church. I am Madam Ruth Benson; I am 58yrs old, from Kuwait based in Ivory Coast with my late husband. I am married to Late Mr. Jean Benson who was until his death worked with Oil Company (PETROCI) Cote d’Ivoire; we were married for many years without a child. I am now very sick, after going through some medical checkup my doctor told me I would not last the next eight months due to Colon Cancer that I should pray hard.

When my husband was alive, He deposited the sum of (US$2.8M) Two million eight hundred thousand dollars deposited in a Finance Security firm here in Abidjan, Ivory Coast capital. Presently this money is still in the Vault of the firm. Having known my condition I decided to donate this money to any God fearing person, Individual, NGOs, Government Organizations, and Farmers that will use this fund for the charity purpose I mentioned above. I took this decision because I have no offspring and seeing the sufferings of people around i decided to donate it for charity work.

Due to the present condition of my health, as i cannot do it by myself, i map out 20% Percent of the total money for your personal use While remaining 80% of the money will go to Community development, schools, farmers, less privileges and building of church.

Though I don't know you or met you before but I believe that God will work through you in accomplishing his will. I want you to always remember me in your daily prayers because of my upcoming Cancer Surgery.

As soon as I receive your massage in acceptance of working with this charities mention above, I will give you more details and the contact of the Finance Security firm here in Abidjan Ivory Coast.
Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I have Stated herein. Expecting to receive your re-assuring reply,

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Yours Sister,
Madam Ruth Benson.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:46 AM »
Dearest One,
With due Respect and Humanity I write to donate and hand over some fund to you for charity work for community development, schools, farmers, less privileges and building of church. I am Madam Ruth Benson; I am 58yrs old, from Kuwait based in Ivory Coast with my late husband. I am married to Late Mr. Jean Benson who was until his death worked with Oil Company (PETROCI) Cote d’Ivoire; we were married for many years without a child. I am now very sick, after going through some medical checkup my doctor told me I would not last the next eight months due to Colon Cancer that I should pray hard.

When my husband was alive, He deposited the sum of (US$2.8M) Two million eight hundred thousand dollars deposited in a Finance Security firm here in Abidjan, Ivory Coast capital. Presently this money is still in the Vault of the firm. Having known my condition I decided to donate this money to any God fearing person, Individual, NGOs, Government Organizations, and Farmers that will use this fund for the charity purpose I mentioned above. I took this decision because I have no offspring and seeing the sufferings of people around i decided to donate it for charity work.

Due to the present condition of my health, as i cannot do it by myself, i map out 20% Percent of the total money for your personal use While remaining 80% of the money will go to Community development, schools, farmers, less privileges and building of church.

Though I don't know you or met you before but I believe that God will work through you in accomplishing his will. I want you to always remember me in your daily prayers because of my upcoming Cancer Surgery.

As soon as I receive your massage in acceptance of working with this charities mention above, I will give you more details and the contact of the Finance Security firm here in Abidjan Ivory Coast.
Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I have Stated herein. Expecting to receive your re-assuring reply,

Yours Sister,
Madam Ruth Benson.

Why is that woman paying you to make people have less privileges? That seems rude.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 01, 2015, 03:07:24 AM »
I am looking at SolarCity bonds - Certainly would have to maintain a more liquid nest egg, but I like what they're selling

Negatives:
Won't be able to touch the principle for X years
Risk of investing in solar

Postives:
Elon Musk owns a crap ton and won't let it fail
Great consistent returns

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 01, 2015, 05:36:35 AM »

Dearest One,

Yours Sister,
Madam Ruth Benson.

Why is that woman paying you to make people have less privileges? That seems rude.
you are missing the point. $80 Million Dollars. This is just a step along the way.
#zeroconsequences.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 01, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »

I am looking at SolarCity bonds - Certainly would have to maintain a more liquid nest egg, but I like what they're selling

Negatives:
Won't be able to touch the principle for X years
Risk of investing in solar

Postives:
Elon Musk owns a crap ton and won't let it fail
Great consistent returns
Chi Cat, just skimmed Solar City. Actually sounds like a great idea. A wacky idea kind of, too. Might be an interesting way to diversify 2-3% of a portfolio.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 01, 2015, 05:46:29 AM »
Obviously laden with risks.

Gonna win 'em all!