Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3982277 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26025 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:15 PM »
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=12230742&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FVwA0PNhxW2%22%7D&ex_cid=sportscenterTW

I've talked about this idea in the past, and I love it.  Makes perfect sense for both schools.

The other similar idea is to schedule TWO Non-Con games (home and away) with the same team.  But, this works better in Basketball.  I'd love to play Mizzou twice in basketball every year.

oh my goodness, what a great idea
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26026 on: January 26, 2015, 10:54:30 PM »
what an incredibly dumb thing.  these huge conferences are idiotic.
emaw

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26027 on: January 27, 2015, 08:28:31 AM »
We really just need to come up with a playoff system that only includes conference champs and no at large teams. Then the first 3-4 weeks of every season would be nothing but marquee matchups. It would be better than bowl season.

Offline Mr_BONES

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26028 on: January 27, 2015, 08:43:45 AM »
We really just need to come up with a playoff system that only includes conference champs and no at large teams. Then the first 3-4 weeks of every season would be nothing but marquee matchups. It would be better than bowl season.

No, it would be all worthless teams since there's no at-large, then strength of schedule doesn't matter.  People would schedule cupcakes to avoid risk of injury and rest their players.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26029 on: January 27, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »

No, it would be all worthless teams since there's no at-large, then strength of schedule doesn't matter.  People would schedule cupcakes to avoid risk of injury and rest their players.

Losses wouldn't matter, so people would schedule paydays.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26030 on: January 27, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »

I think in that format, the TV partners would be looking for marquee matchups.

Also, the carrot at the end of the stick would be seeding in the four team playoff.

Losses wouldn't matter, so people would schedule paydays.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26031 on: January 27, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »
UNC and Wake scheduled football non con games in 2019 and 2021

I remember Ron talking about doing this with Okie State in Dallas or something.

More proof that Ron is a dumbass.

There are proof points that Ron is a poor coach and (allegedly) kind of a skeezy dude, but he was an out of the box thinker that understood the business of the game fairly well.

It's not a bad idea at all.  At the end of the day, fans want stuff like this.

You're probably right, I'm just pissed about the result of these stupid big conferences.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26032 on: January 27, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »
The best solution is to have 8 power conferences with 8-10 teams each. Each conference champ plays in an 8 team playoff, seeded by ranking, with higher seeds playing on their home field.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26033 on: January 27, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
The best solution is to have 8 power conferences with 8-10 teams each. Each conference champ plays in an 8 team playoff, seeded by ranking, with higher seeds playing on their home field.

Would take. Too bad it's a pipe dream at this point.

Online deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26034 on: February 11, 2015, 03:30:47 PM »
Interesting Bleacher Report (I know) alignment via 4 super conferences:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2359512-college-footballs-final-realignment-forming-4-conferences-for-4-playoff-spots?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

17 teams per conference (64 P5 teams + Notre Dame + BYU + Boise + ?)

KU and K-State would not be in same conference.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26035 on: February 11, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
All those teams lined up like that, its tough seeing how far down the list lil' bro is, real class of their own.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26036 on: February 11, 2015, 04:35:48 PM »
Interesting Bleacher Report (I know) alignment via 4 super conferences:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2359512-college-footballs-final-realignment-forming-4-conferences-for-4-playoff-spots?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

17 teams per conference (64 P5 teams + Notre Dame + BYU + Boise + ?)

KU and K-State would not be in same conference.

The West, for example, has the lowest total F/+ rating, but its top two, three, four, five and six teams are deeper than those of any other league. Its score is dragged down by Kansas, Colorado and Washington State—three of the four worst teams since 2010.

:lol:

Online deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26037 on: February 20, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »
Univ of Houston trying to threaten funding for Texas universities if they're not invited to Big 12?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/houston-s-board-of-regents-chairman-wants-to-threaten-his-way-into-the-big-12-005802034.html

The Big Train

« Reply #26038 on: February 20, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
thats exactly what the big 12 needs, another texas school

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26039 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »
The weird influence the Texas Board of Education has over conference alignment is what sunk the SWC and what will sink the B12

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26040 on: February 20, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
The weird influence the Texas Board of Education has over conference alignment is what sunk the SWC and what will sink the B12

When you think about it, it is not that strange that a state-wide institution has a strong influence over state-run schools and the associations those schools form.

What is actually kind of weird is how much influence TV viewership has over conference alignment.  Like, because a bunch of people in Los Angeles like to watch School X's games, it somehow makes sense for that school to go to the SEC or ACC so that they can increase their "footprint."

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26041 on: February 20, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
Houston Cougars

TV announcer called us Cougars the other night

Coincidence?  I doubt it.  That guy has seen the Big XII's expansion plans and made a little Freudian slip on the air.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26042 on: February 20, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
I really hope the big 10 and SEC wanna go to 16 and target the ACC. I would love the Big 12 to pick up the scraps.

...or be the aggressor.

Hah. That won't happen.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #26043 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
Conference Realignment is Havs' tard-iest subjest.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26044 on: April 07, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25139160/big-12-acc-conference-championship-game-restrictions-to-be-relaxed-by-2016

A big blow to the pro-expansion crowd. If the Big 12 is able to stay at 10 teams AND have a champ game then there's no reason to add pud schools like BYU, Memphis, etc.

It will be interesting to see if the league keeps the true round robin schedule, or if they drop down to an 8 or even a 7 game conference schedule. Staying at 9 seems like the right move for SoS reasons.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26045 on: April 07, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
To be honest, I think this is good/bad news.  Good news is that the conference champ probably has a great argument for the playoff.  Bad news is that if we expand to 8 playoff teams, it may hurt us because we'll probably cut the legs out from under the second ranked team.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26046 on: April 07, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »
We didn't really like that second ranked team anyway. :don'tcare:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26047 on: April 07, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »

“I think there’s some belief that ACC would play three divisions, have two highest-ranked play in postseason,” said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the new NCAA Football Oversight Committee. “Really, nobody cares how you determine your champion. It should be a conference-level decision.

“But because the ACC has persisted in saying, ‘We’re not sure what we’ll do,’ there’s probably a little bit of a shadow over it. In the end, I don’t think it’ll be able to hold it up. We’ll probably have it in place for ‘16.”

Two things:

First,  I am now officially of the opinion that Bowlsby does not give a crap about the Big 12, it's about becoming Super Bob.

Second, three divisions in the ACC?!?  WTF?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26048 on: April 07, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »

“I think there’s some belief that ACC would play three divisions, have two highest-ranked play in postseason,” said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the new NCAA Football Oversight Committee. “Really, nobody cares how you determine your champion. It should be a conference-level decision.

“But because the ACC has persisted in saying, ‘We’re not sure what we’ll do,’ there’s probably a little bit of a shadow over it. In the end, I don’t think it’ll be able to hold it up. We’ll probably have it in place for ‘16.”

Two things:

First,  I am now officially of the opinion that Bowlsby does not give a crap about the Big 12, it's about becoming Super Bob.

Second, three divisions in the ACC?!?  WTF?

Three divisions in the ACC = UConn

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26049 on: April 07, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
The other concept is if you completely get rid of divisions altogether.  Right now, some of the biggest points of contention in all of the conferences is that you have to stack divisions to keep rivalries together, but it screws up the competitive balance of the league.

For example, the Pac 12 has a screwy schedule because even though they put Stanford and Cal in the North division, they still have to play USC and UCLA every single year.  It screws up any sort of fair rotation.

In the Big Ten, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State are all in the same division.  That's stupid.  Wisconsin is running roughshod all over the western division, or whatever stupid thing they're calling it now.

The ACC screws themselves because Florida State plays Clemson every year, and then that means the winner has to play Georgia Tech or Duke in the ACC title game making for, typically, horrendous football.

The NCAA is the one mandating that you have to have divisions.  There's really no need for them, to be honest.  You could get more creative with your scheduling if you could simply do away with them.