Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148679 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
Baseball needs the improvements first.   VB is perfectly fine in Ahearn.  Get indoor track out of there, and reconfigure the arena area to put the court where the basketball court used to be and make some improvements.   They'll have tons of space to set up about as many practice V-Ball courts as they could possibly want.  In fact, they'll have so much room they could put in at least one all sand court for training.   

The only drawback might be having to work with the academic side like the Department of Kinesiology which occupies Ahearn. 

Baseball can evolve with more suites, more seats etc. etc.   

It will be absurd to spend $8 to $12 million on volleyball unless substantial improvements are made to TFS and the baseball facilities at the same time if not before.  Particularly if baseball is pushed back a month, improving the competitive stature of nearly every D1 school substantially.

Sand play for elite indoor volleyball players is a nono. It's a completely different game and sand lends itself to lots of injuries.

I do agree that baseball changing its schedule changes this conversation because it increases baseball's earning potential.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »
So Nebraska has it wrong then?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2014, 04:56:21 PM »

Dax, you really think I wasn't aware of that? Yes I think that they have it wrong. I would be surprised if they actually used that for training instead of just something that looks cool.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »

Dax, you really think I wasn't aware of that? Yes I think that they have it wrong. I would be surprised if they actually used that for training instead of just something that looks cool.

I didn't think you weren't aware, I say a video, I think on the Big 10 network, where they had a whole segment on working out on the sand.

Maybe it was just for show.

Offline KStatefan8903

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

Nebraska started a NCAA Sand volleyball team last year. All of the players on the sand volleyball roster are also on the volleyball roster.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:23:50 PM by KStatefan8903 »

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 08, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »

Nebraska started a NCAA Sand volleyball team last year.

interesting first post

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »

Nebraska started a NCAA Sand volleyball team last year.

interesting first post

Who are you? If you are really a Nebraska fan we won't be mean to you if you aren't an idiot, so feel free to change your name. If you're a K-State insider give us more info, specifically about this half cocked practice gym at Bramlage idea.

It is interesting that there is no info about NCAA Sand Volleyball anywhere on a site directly sanctioned by the NCAA but AVCA has some info.
http://www.avca.org/sand/poll/
http://www.avca.org/includes/media/docs/ALL-IN-ONE-DI-Sand-VB-Handbook-Leg-Regs-Interps-11%2813%29docx.pdf

it's an eclectic group of schools currently playing, a few good programs, two elites (Washington & Stanford), and a lot of small schools. No UT or Penn State.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:37:18 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2014, 10:03:31 PM »
SEC been doing the sand volleyball thing for a while:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080213/NEWS/229984505

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 03, 2014, 04:52:16 AM »
pulled out a nice road win. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »
This team is pretty fun

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 03, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »
Surprisingly so

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 05, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Two Big 12 road wins in a row for the first time since Baylor and TCU in October 2012. Team may be in the top 25 on Monday.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 06, 2014, 11:02:05 PM »
AVCA  :shakesfist:

The Big 12 has been screwed in that poll all season.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 09, 2014, 01:47:40 AM »
http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/100814aab.html
could have had them in 3, but the second wind didn't come full sail until the 4th.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 20, 2014, 03:38:35 PM »
Now ranked #22 :kstatriot:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 20, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
Trivia question from the future: How many Championships did you celebrate from October 2014 through April 2015 if you were a Kansas City and Kansas State Sports fan?

Answer: elventybillion

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2014, 10:59:29 PM »
For those haven't been following; we are the second best team the conference, not sure we'll finish there or not, we'll see. We will make the tournament, but even though we're the second best team in the conference our chance of hosting is borderline. The Big 12 rpi is just okay, we will need to finish 14-4 or better in conference to host in the NCAA imo. If we really make a run there is a potential of playing the entire tournament in the Big 12 footprint as there is a regional here in Ames and the final four is in OKC.

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »
I joined an intramural volleyball team and our first game was tonight.  Won in straight sets and had an absolute blast!  I'm a Volleycat  :excited:

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:57 AM »
Trivia question from the future: How many Championships did you celebrate from October 2014 through April 2015 if you were a Kansas City and Kansas State Sports fan?

Answer: elventybillion

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2014, 01:56:51 AM »
For those haven't been following; we are the second best team the conference, not sure we'll finish there or not, we'll see. We will make the tournament, but even though we're the second best team in the conference our chance of hosting is borderline. The Big 12 rpi is just okay, we will need to finish 14-4 or better in conference to host in the NCAA imo. If we really make a run there is a potential of playing the entire tournament in the Big 12 footprint as there is a regional here in Ames and the final four is in OKC.

17 rpi. I know rpi isn't a great measure of a team in bball, and I don't know if it is of similar or greater worth in vball, but apparently one of the coaches seems to think that finishing in the top 16 rpi gives a good chance of hosting.

KSU played sub-par vs Texas. Much of the credit due to the Longhorns, but even in the second set, which K-State had a good shot at, they really didn't play too terribly well. Bodes well for them, imo.

They are obviously good on the block, and they can play pretty decent transition if need be, but they have a tendency to let things snow-ball when the opposition is in serve. It's mostly a reception problem, but things have improved. They've come a long way since letting a pud Mo. State team and a shorthanded Baylor squad go on long runs at home. Texas got to them, but that's Texas.

Wednesday night will paint a pretty descriptive picture of the team imo. OU is good offensively, and will try to force long rallies defensively. If K-State can regain offensive efficiency and keep rallies short it would be a great sign for them.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 22, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
great 3-0 win tonight against OU

mike stoops was heard outside of ahearn complaining about coach fritz's blockers

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 22, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »

mike stoops was heard outside of ahearn complaining about coach fritz's blockers

Sure looked like their arms where too far over the net

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »

17 rpi. I know rpi isn't a great measure of a team in bball, and I don't know if it is of similar or greater worth in vball, but apparently one of the coaches seems to think that finishing in the top 16 rpi gives a good chance of hosting.

KSU played sub-par vs Texas. Much of the credit due to the Longhorns, but even in the second set, which K-State had a good shot at, they really didn't play too terribly well. Bodes well for them, imo.

They are obviously good on the block, and they can play pretty decent transition if need be, but they have a tendency to let things snow-ball when the opposition is in serve. It's mostly a reception problem, but things have improved. They've come a long way since letting a pud Mo. State team and a shorthanded Baylor squad go on long runs at home. Texas got to them, but that's Texas.

Wednesday night will paint a pretty descriptive picture of the team imo. OU is good offensively, and will try to force long rallies defensively. If K-State can regain offensive efficiency and keep rallies short it would be a great sign for them.

Great win tonight, we are firmly the 2nd best team the conference.

The RPI carries a lot more weight in volleyball than basketball, a lot more. The committee doesn't have the luxury of watching nearly as many volleyball matches so the eye test doesn't happen in volleyball, they rely on concrete data.

Like I said a conference record of 12-4 should be good enough to earn the opportunity to host.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

grey area

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »

grey area

Well it's just unfair to the other team. Nothing to do but complain