Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5519005 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #22800 on: September 10, 2016, 02:40:48 PM »
I think we view it as a good way to get D1 quality athletes to K-State. If you can get them here and give them a shot at QB and later turn them into quality players at another position its a good idea. IMO that's the reason we brought in Banks, he just wasn't willing to move, but its worked out well with a lot of other guys. Our staff just views it as a way to get "best available" athletes into our program because as you said in many HS programs the best athlete is playing QB. Other programs do it too, so its not like we are unique.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #22801 on: September 10, 2016, 02:41:36 PM »
Also, treys SAMs take is shaky. Every program wanted him as an athlete. He's literally picking and choosing recruiting stories for his agenda. Smdh.

no. we told him we wanted him as a QB. that's why he came here. then he switched to WR. then he transferred out.

my argument is that we shouldn't be recruiting QBs who aren't absolutely dominating their competition. any HS QB who is worthy of an P5/D1 offer should be putting up videogame stats. if you disagree, that's fine.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #22802 on: September 10, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »
I had no idea treys has been in these meetings where we tell these athletes what our plan is. Wow! Impressive.

Just giving you crap bud.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22803 on: September 10, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »
you do realize that athletes give interviews, right? Sams is on record saying that he came here because we wanted him as a QB and he would honor the commitment as long as we didn't recruit another QB.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22804 on: September 10, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
Unfortunately he was just average. :frown:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22805 on: September 10, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
Why aren't you bitching about Billy Cosh? All these guys who've transferred out have had shitty numbers at their next visit. The Ell's of the world are rare and random.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22806 on: September 10, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
you do realize that athletes give interviews, right? Sams is on record saying that he came here because we wanted him as a QB and he would honor the commitment as long as we didn't recruit another QB.

I don't remember that exact quote, but if he believed what you are implying then that's his fault. Its the job of every college coach/program to keep recruiting talent at all positions. If he just thought the position was his and we wouldn't recruit anyone to compete with him for the spot, then that's really dumb.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22807 on: September 10, 2016, 03:05:17 PM »

I don't remember that exact quote, but if he believed what you are implying then that's his fault. Its the job of every college coach/program to keep recruiting talent at all positions. If he just thought the position was his and we wouldn't recruit anyone to compete with him for the spot, then that's really dumb.

Sorry, that's slightly off. Sams said that the staff promised him that they wouldn't recruit another HS QB in his class if he didn't go on any other official visits.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22808 on: September 10, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
Why aren't you bitching about Billy Cosh? All these guys who've transferred out have had shitty numbers at their next visit. The Ell's of the world are rare and random.

Why bitch about people who don't play football anymore? I only care about who might be the next QB at KSU.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22809 on: September 10, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
History says it's either going to be a JUCO QB or someone who's patient through the process for K-State. That's fine if you want a stud FR to perform right away, but we lay numbers on the position until something sticks. You wanna name HS QB's that achieved at K-State? The list starts and ends at ELL and Klein tho. Freeman had a losing record but went to the NFL and flamed out.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22810 on: September 10, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
Beasley too?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22811 on: September 10, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »
well, we only have 1 current QB that has a chance to be good so....

:curse:

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22812 on: September 10, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
Klein pretty much sucked at throwing the ball throughout his career... so our second or third best "home grown" QB sucked at the primary goal assigned to that position. If that's not a bad sign I don't know what is

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22813 on: September 11, 2016, 01:16:53 AM »
Klein pretty much sucked at throwing the ball throughout his career... so our second or third best "home grown" QB sucked at the primary goal assigned to that position. If that's not a bad sign I don't know what is
Prince recruited him as a pro style QB out of HS.  He must have crap shooted with CK, because he would have failed playing that style.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22814 on: September 11, 2016, 02:01:45 AM »
Also, treys SAMs take is shaky. Every program wanted him as an athlete. He's literally picking and choosing recruiting stories for his agenda. Smdh.

no. we told him we wanted him as a QB. that's why he came here. then he switched to WR. then he transferred out.

my argument is that we shouldn't be recruiting QBs who aren't absolutely dominating their competition. any HS QB who is worthy of an P5/D1 offer should be putting up videogame stats. if you disagree, that's fine.

I would absolutely tell a guy who has been offered a scholarship from Miami and OU that we want him at QB if he wants to be QB. If he wants to transfer to McNeese State later, fine. I'll take the flier on talent everytime when K-State spends 20 scholarships on five hearts.

Grow up if you think college football needs to be more ethical.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22815 on: September 11, 2016, 06:41:13 AM »
Sams literally split time at QB in HS. He was a tweener everywhere he has ever been. Ppl get overly emotional over him tho because he had some fun runs. Hope he's doing well.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22816 on: September 11, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »

I would absolutely tell a guy who has been offered a scholarship from Miami and OU that we want him at QB if he wants to be QB. If he wants to transfer to McNeese State later, fine. I'll take the flier on talent everytime when K-State spends 20 scholarships on five hearts.

how the actual eff do you logically get from my bolded statement to your bolded statement? have you not read any of this thread? i don't care about recruiting ethics, i care that we're recruiting two QBs that are struggling mightily against their (mostly shitty) HS competition.

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22817 on: September 11, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »

how the actual eff do you logically get from my bolded statement to your bolded statement? have you not read any of this thread? i don't care about recruiting ethics, i care that we're recruiting two QBs that are struggling mightily against their (mostly shitty) HS competition.

Our qb recruits should be crushing the opposition

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #22818 on: September 11, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »

And what everyone has said, ad nauseum, is that they will probably move positions.

Next year, or the year after that, we may get another HS stud or a JUCO guy.

Betts is the QB recruit, and he had fine stats last year, and his video is solid. If he ends up sucking, fine. We will move him or he will transfer. Wheeler is a future receiver we are probably going to switch somewhere in the middle of his redshirt year.

Stop being obstinate about it.

Offline eat_beef

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22819 on: September 11, 2016, 10:15:41 AM »

One thing he didn't suck at:  Winning.  I will take that every time.  Like the style also, nothing more demoralizing than running the ball down peoples throats.  If only we can do that without killing a QB.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22820 on: September 11, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »

One thing he didn't suck at:  Winning.  I will take that every time.  Like the style also, nothing more demoralizing than running the ball down peoples throats.  If only we can do that without killing a QB.

Look up. The point just sailed about five miles over your head.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22821 on: September 16, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »
Dmitri Moore visiting this weekend - show him some love if you see him around campus

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/6195

we're in his final 5

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22822 on: September 17, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »
Johns' counterpart had an efficient night of his own, especially in the first half. Wheeler went 18-for-26 for 208 yards and two touchdowns — one which went to William Sharpton on an 80-yard strike over the middle, and the other going to Jack Petz on a 2-yard fade route to the corner of the end zone.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22823 on: September 17, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
last week:

KIPP 68, MLK Prep 6: Dewayne Betts threw scoring passes of 40, 61, 17 and 37 yards to Orreon Finley as the Phoenix (2-3) posted the area's highest point total so far this year. Josh Williams ran for 147 yards and two TDs (32, 55) while Orlando Ferguson also scored twice.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22824 on: September 17, 2016, 11:48:44 AM »
I want a dude named Orlando