Author Topic: It's Time  (Read 14138 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: It's Time
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »
I'm not saying Vandy sucks but they are a mid-level Big 12 team on their best day.

Then so are we

Which is why there needs to be a change, because we should not be a mid level program. There are plenty of things that need to change after last night, but coaching happens to be one of them.

Neither Vandy or K-State are mid level programs, goodness gracious. K-State is a top 25 program and Vandy, under Mason, seems to be headed there.

Please tell my how we are not a mid-level program. We've won exactly 1 Big XII Conference Championship in our history, shared another (which was also our last one and 5 years ago), have a decidedly losing bowl record (I believe it's somewhere around 8-12), won exactly 0 Big 8 Conference Championships and are one of only four other schools that can lay claim to over 600 losses.

We periodically are nationally ranked but have been ranked #1 just twice with no major bowl wins and 0 National Championships.

We are never (and if I recall correctly this includes the DoD of the '90s) ranked consistently either during a season or more importantly from the conclusion of a season and then again at the start of the next season.

Yes, we strung together an impressive run of 9+ wins seasons during the 1990's but that's almost 20 years ago and since then we've struggled to do the same or build any type of sustainable continuity. It's always up or down, have a good/great season and then seemingly start over.

I think we can do much, much better. We have the facilities, the money, the fan support and the schools administrative support. IMO, what we lack is some vision in the football program and a unwillingness to accept a certain level of mediocrity and follow through with fixing that.

Cats!  :ksu:

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 02:03:35 AM »
i just don't even see what the point is of this thread or what's being argued. bill is here. he's done great things. he's done not so great things. we are so firmly entrenched now and have been arguing the same "the game has passed bill by and we suck, the staff sucks, and all should retire" after every loss since like 2009, that it's like  :dunno:.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:59 AM »
The upper echelon of mediocrity is really all we can expect as k-staters. I would like to hear how we plan to deal with the 80 year old dude making recruiting visits and the "Are you going to live til Im a SR?" argument.

Probably the same way he's dealt with it since 2009. He didn't get old yesterday. What the hell is your point? We're getting more talent now than we've had in the last 15 years.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:48 AM »
The upper echelon of mediocrity is really all we can expect as k-staters. I would like to hear how we plan to deal with the 80 year old dude making recruiting visits and the "Are you going to live til Im a SR?" argument.

Probably the same way he's dealt with it since 2009. He didn't get old yesterday. What the hell is your point? We're getting more talent now than we've had in the last 15 years.

...And we just used it to score 7 rough ridin' points. Against Vanderbilt.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
i just don't even see what the point is of this thread or what's being argued. bill is here. he's done great things. he's done not so great things. we are so firmly entrenched now and have been arguing the same "the game has passed bill by and we suck, the staff sucks, and all should retire" after every loss since like 2009, that it's like  :dunno:.

Funny seeing :dunno: and wazzu whatever girl side by side.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
This conversation got me thinking.  I am now very curious how many programs ran off a "mediocre" coach only to hire a worse one.  "Ran off" is very subjective as it's never truly known when someone "retires" or takes another job whether it was voluntary or they were forced out.  "Mediocre" also subjective but could be defined as .500 or better overall record.   Football programs at Nebraska, Texas and Missouri come immediately to mind.  Maybe a better question:  has any program ever hired a BETTER coach immediately after running off a mediocre one?  I'm sure they have just can't think of any.

Edit:  It should be noted that Mack, Pelini and Pinkel were not "mediocre" coaches (maybe Pelini was) but each fan base was thrilled to see them go.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »
i'm lost on the Missouri mention

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:36 AM »
Florida State got an NC with Jimbo.
Tommy Bowden was 72-34 when Clemson ran him off for Dabo.
Paul Hackett was .514 at USC after 3 years struggling at USC for Pete Carroll.  Hackett was trending down though while trying to restart the program after a couple .500 season of Robinson 2.0.

A&M running off RC Slocum after going 6-6 to hire the definition of mediocrity in Franchione is the best example I can think of what you're trying to get at.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:04:45 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
am I the only one that in my head is saying "It's Vader Time!"

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
The best comparison to where we are at now is Bowden at Florida State and deciding how long you wait for a legend to retire. However, the expectation level at FSU was much higher (14 straights seasons finishing in the top 5 with two NCs at one point) and the last 5 years of Bowden were worse than Snyder's last 5 seasons.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

...And we just used it to score 7 rough ridin' points. Against Vanderbilt.

Boo hoo. It's been three days, stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
The best comparison to where we are at now is Bowden at Florida State and deciding how long you wait for a legend to retire. However, the expectation level at FSU was much higher (14 straights seasons finishing in the top 5 with two NCs at one point) and the last 5 years of Bowden were worse than Snyder's last 5 seasons.

jeez  :sdeek:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
Yeah, peak Bowden was ridiculous; 1987 through 2000.

Then he had 1 borderline Top 10 team his last 9 seasons and 3 of the last 4 FSU finished 7-6 and unranked.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
I caught parts of Snyder's weekly show on Fox Sports. It did not inspire confidence. I know it takes time to bounce back from what he went through, but he has not bounced back and at his age isn't going to fully recover. I don't know how much he had to give to this team this year.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »

Offline ksuchris2000

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »

"more talent now than we've had in the last 15 years." Hilarious. Where are these best in 15 year talents? I want some of what you're smoking. What impact are these top talents having? It's the same ol Snyder song and dance only the song sucks and the tempo is 1/2 of what it was. THe song has always gone sorta like this...  (1) Coach em up. (2) Pluck the juco retards and hope for the best [e.g keep them out of jail and enrolled] and (3) play crappy non con schedule and hope to win.

I usually dont argue with this philosophy because there has never been a season since 1992 (or ever) where if we didnt win our games we wouldn't be natl champs. Right now we're not seeing any of the three with any level of success.

To pile on further, the Big XII is in dire straits and the competition in the last 2-3 years has been lower than ever. If the BIG XII would have stayed healthy over the past several years, this Snyder conversation would be WAY past due by now and Snyder is likely home sipping Ensure and yelling for a pants change.

Snyder's song is old and the only reason to keep him around is sentimentality. Great guy, awesome success story -- but, sentimentality does not win football games and certainly doesnt win championships.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
i'm lost on the Missouri mention

The powers that be wanted Pinkel gone, but it wasn't because of his W/L record....that wasn't a good comparo but it did get me thinking about all the successful coaches who were run off for various reasons....Mangino, Leavitt, Leach, Briles, Petrino.  Replacing a coach is hard.  FSU definitely is the gold standard and would be my wildest dream when it's time.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »
Snyder say anything relevant in his phone press conference today?
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Snyder say anything relevant in his phone press conference today?

He was enjoying his Boulevard tour from what I understand.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »

"more talent now than we've had in the last 15 years." Hilarious. Where are these best in 15 year talents? I want some of what you're smoking. What impact are these top talents having? It's the same ol Snyder song and dance only the song sucks and the tempo is 1/2 of what it was. THe song has always gone sorta like this...  (1) Coach em up. (2) Pluck the juco retards and hope for the best [e.g keep them out of jail and enrolled] and (3) play crappy non con schedule and hope to win.

I usually dont argue with this philosophy because there has never been a season since 1992 (or ever) where if we didnt win our games we wouldn't be natl champs. Right now we're not seeing any of the three with any level of success.

To pile on further, the Big XII is in dire straits and the competition in the last 2-3 years has been lower than ever. If the BIG XII would have stayed healthy over the past several years, this Snyder conversation would be WAY past due by now and Snyder is likely home sipping Ensure and yelling for a pants change.

Snyder's song is old and the only reason to keep him around is sentimentality. Great guy, awesome success story -- but, sentimentality does not win football games and certainly doesnt win championships.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
that gif gets me everytime.. every freaking time

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2017, 04:28:55 PM »
that gif gets me everytime.. every freaking time

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »

Your day must have been more interesting than mine.

Offline ksuchris2000

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »

It only took 2 days to identify the pivot man on this circle jerk website. MakeItRain. Perfect name.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »
This thread is ridiculous.  Our program is v. healthy.  We lost to a decent team on the road by a score.  That happens - even to good/great programs.

Nobody called for Gundy's head after losing to CMU last year.  Nobody called for Urban's head after tOSU lost to VT at home a few years ago.  These games happen.  Quit crying.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]