Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3981831 times)

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27375 on: February 06, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »
I don't like Cincy, but comparing donations/ticket sales to a P5 school is pretty lol.

Translation: I can't discredit anything you said, so I'll make an inane comment and add "lol" in a vain attempt to validate it.

Do you think Cincinnati has a strong fanbase? A P5 caliber fanbase? I don't, which was the point of the post.

Our donations wouldn't be what they are if we were in cincy's current conference.  Our ticket sales wouldn't be as much as they are now because we wouldn't be able to charge a premium to play teams like cincy and south Florida, etc.  thus your comparison to support your claim is stupid.

Memphis plays in the same league as Cincy. In four of the last five years, they've had donations >$11 million, and their ticket sales averaged $8.5-$9.0 million. If Cincy is a better option, shouldn't their fanbase at least be able match what the fans of a crappy option like Memphis can do?

Word. I lived in Cincinnati for 7 years. UC always struggled for the sports fan dollar with all the pro teams plus Xavier hoops. That would not be much of an issue with Memphis.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27376 on: February 06, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »
Let's just all join up (I'm at about a 5 right now, FYI)

First scenario: Pick 64 of the Power 5's, make it 4 - 16 team conferences w/ 4 - 4 team divisions each. Play the other 3 in your division every year, and one other division (switches off) each year, for 7 confy games. Require 2 other power 5 (or 4, whatever they'll be called) games in the non-con, go back to an 11 game reggie season, expand the playoff to 8.

Second scenario: Pick 72 schools, make 6 - 12 team conferences w/ 2 - 6 team divisions. Play the other 5 in your division and rotate 3 from the other division. Require 1 other power 5 (or 6, whatever they'll call it) game in the non-con, go back to 11 game reggie season, expand playoff to 8.

You're welcome sports fans.

(These would probably never work, or maybe it would..I mean, it could, and would be fun, I think, maybe. Feel free to make your own adjustments to the landscape, or don't.)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27378 on: February 12, 2016, 05:33:36 AM »
It needed to be said.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27379 on: February 12, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
reading that felt sooooo good.  kudos to Kirk for his quote in that one. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27380 on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »

definitely love his use of the term "bananas" 
whenever i use it i have a hard time not breaking into gwen's song and spelling it out like she does

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27381 on: February 12, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »
Pfft...as if Boren could even be remotely considered a counterpart to the Animal.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27382 on: February 12, 2016, 10:18:46 AM »

definitely love his use of the term "bananas" 
whenever i use it i have a hard time not breaking into gwen's song and spelling it out like she does
it's weird, but I almost exclusively use the phrase "going bananas" to describe when i'm doing really well in star wars battlefront.  interesting to hear it used in another context.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27383 on: February 12, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
are you big in the star wars battlefront scene? i still haven't bought it

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27384 on: February 14, 2016, 12:53:51 AM »
In a brief email on Oct. 7, 2014, then-Kroger CEO David Dillon told Ono that he had separate discussions with Kansas State University President Kirk Schulz, the University of Kansas chancellor ( Bernadette Gray-Little) and a member of the Kansas Board of Regents, which oversees the state’s two Big 12 schools. Schulz “was complimentary of the upward trajectory of UC,” Dillon, a Kansas native and University of Kansas graduate, told Ono.

Wefald, who retired in 2009, was K-State’s president when the Big 12 formed in 1996. He sent several emails to Ono and his staff in December 2014 and January 2015, some of which give insight to the enormous amount of television money involved in major-college sports and the possibility UC might have to settle for a smaller share initially if it were to change conferences.

Ono traveled to Manhattan, Kansas, Nov. 28-30, 2014, according to records. He met with K-State President Schulz and Assistant Vice President Emeritus Bill Muir “to discuss collaborations with Kansas State.” UC paid for a $326.38 dinner for the three of them at the Manhattan Country Club on Nov. 28.

In an interview with The Enquirer last week, Wefald said he met Ono in a stadium suite at K-State’s home football that weekend. Wefald is not officially working on behalf of K-State and the Big 12 regarding expansion, he said.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/02/13/inside-ucs-bid-join-big-12/80280488/

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27385 on: February 14, 2016, 01:05:25 AM »
Macy’s Senior Vice President Carl Goertemoeller told Ono in a Nov. 12, 2014, email that he had met with a business acquaintance who was a cousin of the president at Texas Christian University, a Big 12 member. “I asked him to do me a favor and tell his cousin to get behind the idea of bringing UC into the Big 12,” Goertemoeller wrote. “He said he would definitely carry the message.”

lol

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27386 on: February 14, 2016, 02:35:27 AM »
Macy’s Senior Vice President Carl Goertemoeller told Ono in a Nov. 12, 2014, email that he had met with a business acquaintance who was a cousin of the president at Texas Christian University, a Big 12 member. “I asked him to do me a favor and tell his cousin to get behind the idea of bringing UC into the Big 12,” Goertemoeller wrote. “He said he would definitely carry the message.”

lol
God, I hope this goes nowhere.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27387 on: February 14, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
i'm strangely really really good at it.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27388 on: February 14, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »
i'm strangely really really good at it.
Will this somehow come in handy when it comes to this crappy conference expansion?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27389 on: February 15, 2016, 08:59:09 PM »

lol
God, I hope this goes nowhere.

Cincinnati have been privately lobbying to join the Big 12.

The Cincinnati Enquirer published emails between school president Santa Ono and Oklahoma president David Boren, the latter a known supporter of both conference expansion and Cincy's cause to join the Power 5 ranks. West Virginia president Gordon Gee is another strong supporter of conference expansion. "I am indeed optimistic that through these efforts the University of Cincinnati is positioned exceptionally well to continue to compete at the highest level," Ono told the Cincinnati Enquirer in a statement. Santa hopes to give Bearcat fans the gift of big-time football in the coming year.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer Feb 15 - 6:16 PM

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27390 on: February 16, 2016, 12:17:35 AM »
This is going to happen, so we may as well accept it sooner rather than later.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27391 on: February 16, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »
Is Houston the most likely 12th or is it BYU?  Houston walks around acting like it's just a matter of time.  BYU seems like a logical choice (albeit yuck), but Bronco left them and it would seem to me that he probably had as good of a read on it as anyone.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27392 on: February 16, 2016, 08:45:12 AM »
Really rooting against Houston here guys.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27393 on: February 16, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
Might as well accept Cincy.

#teamMemphis

#nomoretexasteams

#nomormons  <=lot of o's there
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27394 on: February 16, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
The Mormons really make the most sense. The rest is hot garbage.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27395 on: February 16, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
I wonder if Wefald's emails were completely unsolicited. Is emailing university presidents his insights about athletic conferences a hobby of his now?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27396 on: February 16, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »
I would be OK with Memphis if we HAD to do 12.  I understand the appeal of BYU but the timezone stretch and Sundays are a big obstacle to overcome.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27397 on: February 16, 2016, 10:12:42 AM »
I'm stupid and not smart so someone explain to me why they are against expansion? Is it because we have to split the scrilla 12 ways instead of 10? Is it the perception that Houston, Cincy, Memphis, etc are gross and not worthy of the Big 12?

Give me 12 teams all day err day. Give me that championship game too son. More TV's, wider recruiting area ( :lol:).

What are the biggest cons of expanding? I hope you have a nice day.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27398 on: February 16, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
I'm stupid and not smart so someone explain to me why they are against expansion? Is it because we have to split the scrilla 12 ways instead of 10? Is it the perception that Houston, Cincy, Memphis, etc are gross and not worthy of the Big 12?

Give me 12 teams all day err day. Give me that championship game too son. More TV's, wider recruiting area ( :lol:).

What are the biggest cons of expanding? I hope you have a nice day.

I really don't like it because it is unlikely that we will get to play Texas and OU every year in football.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #27399 on: February 16, 2016, 10:17:08 AM »
1) it removes the round robin schedule
2) it removes a conference game
3) more shiity games