Author Topic: First Official K-State Women's Soccer Thread  (Read 111399 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: First Official K-State Women's Soccer Thread
« Reply #300 on: December 15, 2014, 09:02:39 AM »
Grass field?  Y or N

Turf fields for soccer players are inhumane. Could you imagine playing on turf, outdoors, in Kansas in August? Should I repost the pics?

I am asking an empirical question.  Maybe I should've included a "NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION" option?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 15, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
Kids in Helicopter Parentland aka Johnson County play on Field Turf fields as far as the eye can see all summer long.   If it were really that big an issue don't you think they'd bitch a lot and demand every field in that massive soccer complex be replaced with grass?   

Maybe they are complaining, but I haven't heard anything, and I've got lots of little buddies with kids playing soccer on those fields.

Dax, think about the freequency and the ferocity in which a college soccer player goes to the turf as opposed to youth soccer players, it's not even close. When I was a kid I played football on pavement, does this mean its a good idea for college athletes? You saw those pictures I posted, you really think that happens in AYSO?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55:16 AM »
Grass field?  Y or N

Turf fields for soccer players are inhumane. Could you imagine playing on turf, outdoors, in Kansas in August? Should I repost the pics?

I am asking an empirical question.  Maybe I should've included a "NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION" option?

I know, my friend, I'm sorry for seeming like I was coming at you. The answer is not enough information.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
"FIFA approved"  :lol:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
"FIFA approved"  :lol:

What's so funny?   The fields have to be certified on a regular basis.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Kids in Helicopter Parentland aka Johnson County play on Field Turf fields as far as the eye can see all summer long.   If it were really that big an issue don't you think they'd bitch a lot and demand every field in that massive soccer complex be replaced with grass?   

Maybe they are complaining, but I haven't heard anything, and I've got lots of little buddies with kids playing soccer on those fields.

Dax, think about the freequency and the ferocity in which a college soccer player goes to the turf as opposed to youth soccer players, it's not even close. When I was a kid I played football on pavement, does this mean its a good idea for college athletes? You saw those pictures I posted, you really think that happens in AYSO?

High School age and beyond play on those fields.   

There's FIFA approved/recommended Field Turf and AstroTurf fields all over the world.

Yes dax, and it's highly controversial. There are groups suing FIFA for allowing the '15 WWC to be played on turf because men's facilities have lost bids for lesser competitions for simply having turf.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
That has nothing to do with their certification and research programs and everything to do with hosting politics.

Come on man.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 15, 2014, 10:11:36 AM »
For the record there's only one big 12 school playing on turf and to no surprise it's tech.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 15, 2014, 10:15:53 AM »
Colgate, St. John's, Florida International all have FIFA certified FieldTurf pitches.

Marshall has a FIFA certified AstroTurf (AstroTurf GT+) pitch

In order to maintain FIFA certification the fields have to be regularly tested by 3rd party testing companies.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »
That has nothing to do with their certification and research programs and everything to do with hosting politics.

Come on man.

LOL @ dax now a soccer expert.

No it isn't politics, its high level federations and high level men's players refusing to play on turf because it is unnecessarily injurious. Let's also not forget that there is now a study that may potentially link cancer to the rubber infill in soccer players.

I know you love to argue, but now you seem to be arguing that turf is just as safe as natural grass, and well that's stupid.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »
There's a list of state agencies across the United States that have done massive studies on rubber in-fill fields and they've found no evidence of the materials used in the fields being a cause of cancer. 

Players refusing to play is also driven by politics and corporations.   Athletic fields are a multi-billion dollar annual business world wide.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 15, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
Colgate, St. John's, Florida International all have FIFA certified FieldTurf pitches.

In order to maintain FIFA certification the fields have to be regularly tested by 3rd party testing companies.

So you're okay with our facilities meeting the exacting and nationally renowned standards such as Texas Tech, Marshall, Colgate, St. Johns, and FIU?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 15, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
There's a list of state agencies across the United States that have done massive studies on rubber in-fill fields and they've found no evidence of the materials used in the fields being a cause of cancer. 

Players refusing to play is also driven by politics and corporations.   Athletic fields are a multi-billion dollar annual business world wide.

Have you ever heard of Thierry Henry? Which corporation made him refuse to play?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2014, 10:24:37 AM »

Players refusing to play is also driven by politics and corporations.   Athletic fields are a multi-billion dollar annual business world wide.

Right, politics and corporations and nothing to do with those pictures I posted. The lengths you go to try to be right is amazing. Normally I would have stopped posting at this point because this is low hanging fruit, but I want to keep posting to see what more insane stuff you'll say.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »

So you're okay with our facilities meeting the exacting and nationally renowned standards such as Texas Tech, Marshall, Colgate, St. Johns, and FIU?

You can't just install an Artificial Grass field and call it FIFA certified.   Why is this so hard for you to understand?   

Henry, is one guy, who lives in non reality when it comes to well maintained, modern artificial grass fields.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 15, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »

Careful, girl sports good schools are frequently WAY different than boy sports good schools.  Happens to me all the time.  I'll be like "Ha Ha Pepperdine sucks," and they are like "Nope, girls sports are good here."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:07 AM »

Right, politics and corporations and nothing to do with those pictures I posted. The lengths you go to try to be right is amazing. Normally I would have stopped posting at this point because this is low hanging fruit, but I want to keep posting to see what more insane stuff you'll say.

Because you know that grass fields, unless they are in pristine condition at all times, can tear up skin  just as easily.   

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #317 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

Why do you believe these studies?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »

When they're conducted by state agencies who have absolutely no skin in the game (did I just say that), particularly in states like California, I tend lean towards them, rather than the anecdotal coincidental evidence. 

Funny, I haven't seen many well maintained grass surfaces that didn't require a lot of chemicals.   Should we go down the list of typically used chemicals on grass athletic fields?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #319 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »

When they're conducted by state agencies who have absolutely no skin in the game (did I just say that), particularly in states like California, I tend lean towards them, rather than the anecdotal coincidental evidence. 

Funny, I haven't seen many well maintained grass surfaces that didn't require a lot of chemicals.   Should we go down the list of typically used chemicals on grass athletic fields?

What makes you think state agencies have no skin in the game?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »

What makes you think that they do?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »

What makes you think that they do?

Hmmmm....I don't recall saying they do.  I was just curious as to why you decide to trust these studies as opposed to other studies conducted by state agencies.  Doubly so, because you don't really know any of the science involved to the appropriate degree to make decisions about the validity of the studies yourself. (Hell neither does MIR to be fair).  It's probably because they support what you want to believe is true, so you are less skeptical towards them.  That's natural, most people do that. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »
Where are these studies from state agencies that say that rubber infill athletic playing surfaces cause cancer, or higher rates of cancer?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »
Where are these studies from state agencies that say that rubber infill athletic playing surfaces cause cancer, or higher rates of cancer?

I am not making a claim one way or the other.  But, as the resident expert on these issues, I expect you should have a number of studies you can point us to. It would also be nice if you could summarize in your own words what scientific information you found most compelling (or perhaps weakest) about each study.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

I am not making a claim one way or the other.  But, as the resident expert on these issues, I expect you should have a number of studies you can point us to. It would also be nice if you could summarize in your own words what scientific information you found most compelling (or perhaps weakest) about each study.

First off, it's just typical angered up passive aggressive Chingon at work, playing the "whatever Dax says, I'll say the opposite game". 

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/publications/Documents/Tires/2010009.pdf

My biggest takeaways from that study and similar studies is that while surface temps on artificial grass in-fill fields are higher, just a few feet above the surface there's very little difference in air temps between modern artificial grass and  natural grass fields.    The study did say that rate of abrasion for college athletes was 2x to 3x higher on artificial surfaces.   However based on FIFA database research there are only 2 FIFA certified artificial grass pitches in California and it isn't known if they were part of the study.   Also appears to be lower levels of infection causing bacteria in artificial grass fields in this study as compared to studied natural turf surfaces.

If history is our guide, than the chances of K-State maintaining a pristine natural grass field throughout the course of an entire season with practice and games is about 50%.   I'll push that to 75% since we are in an era where K-State has more money than it had back when it had natural grass playing surfaces.   When K-State had grass in the football stadium it was only in decent condition by season end, at best.   When K-State had grass in the baseball stadium, teams used to complain about the infield all the time.     

Plus, I'm not saying that K-State should roll out any old artificial grass surface.