Author Topic: Trump things you actually need to call your congress rep about  (Read 6740 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Trump things you actually need to call your congress rep about
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »
 :zzz:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
My former congressman is currently working on reimplenting black sites and waterboarding.

Seriously tho it is very silly to get worked up over this. Trump is calling Mexico's bluff. It's up to them how far they want to take this, but the peso just tanked today on the suggestion that Trunp might impose tariffs.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »
Betsy DeVos has already been mentioned but she needs to be in this thread. She is not qualified to be Secretary of Education. She isn't even educated enough to know the requirements regarding students with disabilities, enacted by Republican presidents.

If you live in Kansas, call Senator Pat Roberts to let him know you oppose her. He is on the Health, Education, Labor, and Pension committee which will determine if she makes it to a full confirmation vote.

202-224-4774

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »
Do you have to speak to a person?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
Do you have to speak to a person?

Yes but all you need to say is...
Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I am a constituent of [SENATOR’S NAME] from [CITY WHERE YOU LIVE]. I’m calling to urge [SENATOR’S NAME] to vote against Betsy DeVos’ confirmation as Secretary of Education. There are plenty of reasons to oppose her confirmation, but I’m concerned with her complete ignorance around special education. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act — which DeVos did not know was a federal law — guarantees rights to both students with disabilities and to their parents. So this isn’t just about civil rights; it’s also crucial to families. We cannot afford a Secretary of Education who’s “confused” on what the law is.

IDEA and the ADA were both signed into law by Republican Presidents. Disability rights are not and cannot become a partisan issue, and [SENATOR’S NAME] will lose my vote if [HE/SHE] votes to confirm Betsy DeVos.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
Like Pat Roberts would ever vote against anything Donald Trump wants. :lol:

You would have much better odds calling him and telling him the date of the confirmation hearing has been changed. Maybe he won't show up for it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:17:13 PM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »
Betsy DeVos has already been mentioned but she needs to be in this thread. She is not qualified to be Secretary of Education. She isn't even educated enough to know the requirements regarding students with disabilities, enacted by Republican presidents.

If you live in Kansas, call Senator Pat Roberts to let him know you oppose her. He is on the Health, Education, Labor, and Pension committee which will determine if she makes it to a full confirmation vote.

202-224-4774

Man really makes you wonder how we even had education before we had a Department of Education in 1979.

Here's what the super experienced Obama DOE did for education with a $7 billion initiative: jack crap. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/25/education-department-report-finds-billions-spent-under-obama-had-no-impact-on-achievement.html

So I think Betsy DeVos will be fine thanks. Heaven forbid we might help some poor children escape their crap hole schools with voucher aid.

(The liberal hatred and hysteria over vouchers never made much sense to me - but I guess unions are rung above poor black kids).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
Hey crap sipper, your autistic children will be dumped aside when she takes over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 06:55:07 AM »
Having an ignorant person run the DOE will be worse than not having it. I don't know if you noticed, but I didn't even mention vouchers in my reason that she is unqualified. She doesn't even know the difference between proficiency and growth which are two indicators used to measure school performance.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
WaPo:  White Phosphorus Level Meltdown. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »
Having an ignorant person run the DOE will be worse than not having it. I don't know if you noticed, but I didn't even mention vouchers in my reason that she is unqualified. She doesn't even know the difference between proficiency and growth which are two indicators used to measure school performance.

I bet the folks who just wasted $7billion knew the difference. Look, I'm not saying you're making more out of this than it really is, but you're making more out of this than it really is.

And I agree with you, I would much prefer to dissolve the DOE altogether.  :cheers:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
I just called and it took about 30 seconds, so I don't really think that amount of effort constitutes making more out of it than it really is.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
An initiative failed = absolutely anybody person can run the DOE

Good luck arguing with anyone using the above logic Mrs. Gooch.

Steph Curry misses a three = absolutely anybody can play PG in the NBA

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »
An initiative failed = absolutely anybody person can run the DOE

Good luck arguing with anyone using the above logic Mrs. Gooch.

Steph Curry misses a three = absolutely anybody can play PG in the NBA

Comparing the head of the DOE to an NBA point guard? I think the point I've been trying to make is that the DOE plays about as much a role in successfully education children as, say, the water boy to an NBA team. And I don't remember the last time people got worked up about the qualifications of the water boy for the Thunder.

The DOE is not essential or even helpful to educating our kids, so the hair on fire reaction to DeVos being "inexperienced" is hilarious. Inexperienced with a failed top-heavy bureaucratic teachers-first mindset? Yes, please.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »
Personally I prefer a student-first approach

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
Inexperienced and unqualified are not the same thing.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
Having worked with numerous school systems for years I can honestly say I've never heard anyone mention anything related to the Fed DOE relative to making any substantial and positive impact on local education. 

Nearly all discussion of that type revolved almost exclusively on state and local policy and resources. 

There are a couple of programs that DOE has that are decent but could be managed by far fewer people.

The most recognized federal programs in terms of local schools don't even come out of the DOE. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/politics/betsy-devos-grizzly-bears-donald-trump-guns/

People who advocate states' rights, but then say they would support the federal government taking those rights away on issues they agree on just piss me off.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »
Lol public schools

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
When the argument in favor of appointing someone is "well the job is pretty much meaningless anyway," it sends a pretty strong signal as to who is on the right side of the issue.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »

202-224-4774

I had to press #2 to hear it in English!!  :curse:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
Guys, as you know, I'm a teacher.  If you want to ask me anything about the DoE, SoE, Common Core, public schools as they relate to state and local government, etc. please ask away.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
33, how do DoE, SoE, Common Core, public schools relate to state and local government, etc.?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »

202-224-4774

I had to press #2 to hear it in English!!  :curse:

Interesting. I didn't have to press 2 any of the 3 times I called (got a full voicemail the first 2 times).