Author Topic: ESPN layoffs  (Read 22327 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN layoffs
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:23 AM »
I haven't heard of any of these people laid off except for crabtree

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:46 AM »
"Additionally, The Hollywood Reporter reports that Karl Ravech, Ryen Russillo, and Hannah Storm will see their roles “significantly reduced.” THR originally reported that ESPN would allow SportsCenter Anchor John Buccigross’s contract to expire, but has since walked that back."

Damn, maybe I shouldn't, but I like them all.

Don't watch enough to care that much, but geez.

I agree with that.

I honestly don't watch any ESPN programming besides live games, but I do follow many of these people on twitter and read some of their articles. Many of them have been there for years and I always had this view that ESPN's cash machine was untouchable for some reason.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Ed Werder is a pretty good reporter.  Whacking him right before the NFL draft seems dumb.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
so according to twitter, ESPN is super political? I was not aware of this but I don't watch sportscenter. Only ESPN things I watch are games, occasional baseball tonight, 30 for 30s, and I guess sportscenter if its around a big game like the CFB playoff or Super Bowl or Final Four or something.

I think some people (on twitter anyway) probably lump Seth Davis in with the ESPN guys. Sports reporters seem to tweet more often about political stuff than before the last election, but Davis definitely went all in on tweeting political stuff. Of all the sports guys I follow (which is mostly who I follow) he tweets about politics the most.
There's a great tweet out there that I can't find anymore, but it listed all of the political wammies they continued to force on ppl, instead of covering sports. A gay player never playing a down in the nfl was a story, Caitlin being the "greatest person of the year" or whatever, BLM coverage, A free agent QB kneeling during the anthem, etc. Forcing small figured "sports stars" as a leading story when there were other games they could cover.

Yeah, in the good old days they would just tell us scores and never report on stupid human interest stories and current events like boxers dodging the draft or a black baseball player trying to get into the majors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 11:49:04 AM »
so according to twitter, ESPN is super political? I was not aware of this but I don't watch sportscenter. Only ESPN things I watch are games, occasional baseball tonight, 30 for 30s, and I guess sportscenter if its around a big game like the CFB playoff or Super Bowl or Final Four or something.

I think some people (on twitter anyway) probably lump Seth Davis in with the ESPN guys. Sports reporters seem to tweet more often about political stuff than before the last election, but Davis definitely went all in on tweeting political stuff. Of all the sports guys I follow (which is mostly who I follow) he tweets about politics the most.
There's a great tweet out there that I can't find anymore, but it listed all of the political wammies they continued to force on ppl, instead of covering sports. A gay player never playing a down in the nfl was a story, Caitlin being the "greatest person of the year" or whatever, BLM coverage, A free agent QB kneeling during the anthem, etc. Forcing small figured "sports stars" as a leading story when there were other games they could cover.

Yeah, in the good old days they would just tell us scores and never report on stupid human interest stories and current events like boxers dodging the draft or a black baseball player trying to get into the majors.

:facepalm: Take it to the pit, dipshit.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
Take what to the pit?

You made a dumb post about how ESPN reports on political and social issues and I sarcastically informed you that politics and social issues have always gone hand-in-hand with sports.

Take a lap, own it, and move on, friend.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 11:52:33 AM »
This time they are forcing people to watch
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »
Take what to the pit?

You made a dumb post about how ESPN reports on political and social issues and I sarcastically informed you that politics and social issues have always gone hand-in-hand with sports.

It's the consistency of it. Like, following around Tebow because he's christian every where he goes. Nobody gives a eff. It's an interesting story when you first hear it, but then they try and shove it down your throat for months. So maybe the political stuff might be true, you know?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »
They obviously aren't tho. People are turning away from it now, kinda why there's a thread about it.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
Take what to the pit?

It's the consistency of it. Like, following around Tebow because he's christian every where he goes. Nobody gives a eff. It's an interesting story when you first hear it, but then they try and shove it down your throat for months. So maybe the political stuff might be true, you know?
are you trying to say that Jesus Christ couldn't hit a curveball?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
You guys realize why people love sports, right? It's a nice distraction from everyday life. Whether stuff is going on at home, around the world, etc. It's nice to follow your team and tune that other crap out every once and awhile. They haven't been doing that. Relax, it's Wednesday.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »
Take what to the pit?

are you trying to say that Jesus Christ couldn't hit a curveball?
:ROFL:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 12:23:54 PM »
So which sports channel/website is about to get a whole lot better? Werder, O'Neill, and Crabtree are all pretty great at what they do.

I don't think ESPN's downfall is because of politics/human interest pieces. Outside the Lines and the 30 for 30s are incredibly popular, and are intertwined with those topics. I think it's just that sportscenter focuses on a few teams/cities and it's on 24/7 and people are burnt out. Also people are burnt out on cable TV across the board.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
I've seen that McMurphy tweet a number of ridiculously false scoops re: KSU in the last year or two.  Not surprised he's been let go.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/857285136357900288

I really, really like him.

Also, crabby is fantastic.  Two biggest disappointments for me.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/857285136357900288

I really, really like him.

Also, crabby is fantastic.  Two biggest disappointments for me.

Yeah, me too.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »
damn. they got Stark. he was a really good writer who understood the landscape of the game so well.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »
ESPN's slow death has been a mixture of a lot of things. Social media, East coast bias, SEC bias, watered down product, other outlets, etc. They out punted their coverage on some major contracts and i'm interested to see how it might effect college football.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
They obviously aren't tho. People are turning away from it now, kinda why there's a thread about it.

Then why did you originally say they forced it on people
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »
Man Jayson Stark is really good at what he does too.  Big loss for ESPN.  I imagine MLB Network is blowing his phone up rn.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »

Then why did you originally say they forced it on people
Because of the consistency I mentioned about above. You can only cover Tebow scratching his nuts enough at single A ball before they turn the channel.