Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141312 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »
On October 1st of 2013, I had never run a mile in my life. Never. I have asthma and it held me back when i was younger.

On December 1st of 2013 I have run 2 (2!!!!) miles without stopping to walk, multiple times.

Might not seem like much to some but this is a big deal for me.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
I'm getting new runnin' shoes from Mom for Christmas.  :Woohoo:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »
You guys should move to cities with enormous awesome parks with palm trees and stuff. You never have to stop and it looks so boss you don't get bored.   :party:

*edit* CF3! It's wild, right?!? :excited:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:26:36 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »
You guys should move to cities with enormous awesome parks with palm trees and stuff. You never have to stop and it looks so boss you don't get bored.   :party:

Audobon is pretty boss.  you are lucky if that is the one you are bossing it up in.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
I run in the country around my house. I mix in some trails at the state park or the sidewalks in the suburbs. I avoid downtown and the stoplights.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »
On October 1st of 2013, I had never run a mile in my life. Never. I have asthma and it held me back when i was younger.

On December 1st of 2013 I have run 2 (2!!!!) miles without stopping to walk, multiple times.

Nice!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »

That's a big deal! Good job on the fitness.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
cf3 is svelt AF now

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »

Audobon is pretty boss.  you are lucky if that is the one you are bossing it up in.

Too small. :gocho:

Guys where do you like to run when in MHK? I was back in October and ran in City Park, old stadium, and Anneberg Park. First two are okay and Anneberg was pretty fun. But what sweet new route should I try next time I'm back? FWIW, running around all the rich people residential areas like Sharing Brook and Greystone and Wyndham Heights is super fun. Lots of hills though, and NOT North Wyndham Heights. :don'tcare:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:42:42 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Any of you guys had IT Band trouble?  I started running last spring and was up to 10 miles every Saturday by the end of the year.  First run in January I had to quit and walk home 3 miles in because my knee hurt so bad.  Didn't run for several weeks but could do a little on the elliptical.  Lots of time with the foam roller and other exercises.  I started again this summer but haven't pushed past 6 miles and I'm not running as regularly.  Hopefully this thread gets me motivated again.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »
I haven't dealt with it. I like to think it's because I'm proactive with foam rolling and yoga. I certainly don't want it to happen.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »
Any of you guys had IT Band trouble?  I started running last spring and was up to 10 miles every Saturday by the end of the year.  First run in January I had to quit and walk home 3 miles in because my knee hurt so bad.  Didn't run for several weeks but could do a little on the elliptical.  Lots of time with the foam roller and other exercises.  I started again this summer but haven't pushed past 6 miles and I'm not running as regularly.  Hopefully this thread gets me motivated again.

Yeah IT Band soreness bleauxs but once I got a foam roller and started using it, everything kind of went away and it feels so right. OMG. So right.

Watch this video. Everything about it is great except the way she pronounces foam roller. :love:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAuh5Pg8uYU

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
I took a 1 hr jogging class at The Kansas State University that was pretty amazing. Met at old stadium every Tue/Thur at 230 and we would basically just go jog around campus in a group. For our final we jogged down to aggieville and drank some beers  :D

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
guys im gonna go hit the 'mill tonight and run probs like 2 miles. go cats.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
But srsly. Get compression socks, a foam roller, and some $100+ running shoes if you want to start from scratch. I've probably spent about $300 in the last few months on various running stuff. It's not cheap but it is suuuuper fun because I feel all jazzy when I run in these cool clothes and also it encourages me to go do it so I didn't spend all that money in vain. ($70 of that was spent on these fancy ice packs that strap to my legs afterward.)

My previous attempts at starting running were always thwarted by shin splints because I didn't buy anything specifically for running. I mean I was basically running in basketball shoes. WTF.  If you're in MHK go to the Manhattan Running Company next to Ray's Apple Market over where Golf USA used to be. They have fancy machines that videotape your stride on a treadmill and they make recommendos on which shoes will best fit your style.

Then stop off at La Hacienda.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »
My previous attempts at starting running were always thwarted by shin splints because I didn't buy anything specifically for running. I mean I was basically running in basketball shoes. WTF.  If you're in MHK go to the Manhattan Running Company next to Ray's Apple Market over where Golf USA used to be. They have fancy machines that videotape your stride on a treadmill and they make recommendos on which shoes will best fit your style.Then stop off at La Hacienda.

Where can I find one of these gizmos in KC?  Tia
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
My previous attempts at starting running were always thwarted by shin splints because I didn't buy anything specifically for running. I mean I was basically running in basketball shoes. WTF.  If you're in MHK go to the Manhattan Running Company next to Ray's Apple Market over where Golf USA used to be. They have fancy machines that videotape your stride on a treadmill and they make recommendos on which shoes will best fit your style.Then stop off at La Hacienda.

Where can I find one of these gizmos in KC?  Tia

Gary Gribbles does something like that.  Don't think it is with a machine, tho

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »
No idea. I am still very much a running n00b and I barely know Kansas City.  A quick Google search led me to a top result of "Gary Gribble's Running Sports," which is a fantastically LOL name.  I looked at his website and they didn't specifically mention that they have one, which I would guess means they probably don't because it is a very braggable thing to have and if they had one they'd be bragging.

Then I found this:
http://www.therunningwellstore.com/category_s/1827.htm

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »
omg guys go here and check out Sweet JayBird. He's like a real-life (jokey) version of :sdeek:

http://www.therunningwellstore.com/category_s/1670.htm

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
gary gribbles is elite. I used to go there for shoes when I ran XC in high school.

also gary gribble is a weirdo but you already knew that from his name.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
CF3 is an absolutely adorable poster.  A real treasure.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »
CF3 is an absolutely adorable poster.  A real treasure.

Absolutely adorable IRL classmate too. Can confirm.

You guys in MHK should organize a Fatty 5K. Probably wouldn't be that hard to get permits from the city to block off certain areas for like an hour? :dunno:  Also most races get around $20-$30 from each registrant. No idea what the overhead/insurance/whatever costs are or what would come out of that to produce t-shirts for everybody, but it could probably garner a nice chunk of change. Maybe have it the morning of Fattyfest and just have everyone end at Aggieville and begin 'PAKing? Or like if certain posters aren't runners they could buy an entry for their friend who is a runner?

The great part of organized runs, at least here in Party Central USA is that they always have beer tents giving away free booze afterwards. Which, you wouldn't think you'd want to pound beers at 9 in the morning after running 3+ miles but it turns out it's actually pretty great once you catch your breath. Might just be a Louisiana thing though.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
Love running....not good at it, usually only 5k at a time...but great way to get out and see the city.  Currently waiting for the suburbanites to flee downtown so I can go on a run w/o being mauled by a Excursion.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »
Have you guys popped over to TMB and seen the running thread they have on there? It's amazing. Some absolute studs there. :love: