Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149488 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #975 on: August 07, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »
cRusty, I bet you're pissed at your HOA.

You think you're gonna have to buy a parking sticker?

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Rich-SF-residents-get-a-shock-Someone-bought-11738236.php

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 07, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »
Get mumped cRusty
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 08, 2017, 11:53:02 PM »
yes eff those people buying my street

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 21, 2017, 10:41:59 AM »
Bay Area Transplant Living in KC for over a year now. I love the city, but am worried about gentrification... (self.kansascity)
submitted 8 hours ago by kthrowc

I never thought I would live in KC. I grew up in the Bay Area for most of my life, worked for the city in economic development. I watched most of my friends move away from the city because of the high standard of living, or just lived with their parents well into their late 20s to early 30s. I was lucky enough to get into law school and extend my stay in the bay area a bit longer. But one thing was for sure, I could not stay...
I lived in DC, Boston, Chicago, and NYC for a couple of years. But then I found KC. My god, what a lovely city. It absolutely blew my mind what a hidden gem this city is: the people, transit (I know its new, but still awesome that the street car is free, and the buses are the cleanest I've ever seen.), and the FOOD. OH MY GOD THE FOOD. This food rivals and beats out almost any other city. I applied for a summer job at a big firm about 3 years ago, got it, and they hired me after I graduate.
I am doing well for myself. My wife and I are able to afford our own apartment instead of living with my parents to save money. We are able to go out and live our lives, not counting pennies like we used to in SF. Get great food, awesome entertainment (sports, concerts, events, etc.), and getting involved with the community.
Then, I started to get worried from what I am seeing.
I started to see more and more young professionals moving in places that were "revitalized". I started to notice more and more people are getting "pushed out of the city" and how they are also being priced out to enjoy the city as much as these young people with money. I started to notice the term "economic development" being used to justify looking down at poor people, racial inequality, and investment in things that really do not help people, but rather just bringing wealth...
I started to notice gentrification.
I really fell in love with this city. I know how revamping places like downtown that were once ghost towns were really necessary to even bring people like me into the city. But as someone who lived in a place that literally priced me out, on top of working in economic development... it's starting to bother me that this is happening to a place like this.
I really just want to raise a major red flag about gentrification. KC is really up and coming, but promoting the wrong economic steps can really push natives out, deepen divides, and have the city lose its soul to wealth rather than keeping it for its people. I am a firm believer in community programs that help people over tax breaks for developers. This may be an unpopular opinion coming from an outsider, but I have witness and experienced the effects of gentrification, and noticed its signs here.
Please stay involved, listen to other people that do not have big-business interests, invest in people (not corporations), intensely study new development projects that actually meet the needs of everyone, and vote down any measure that may change the spirit of a neighborhood through out-pricing its people.
Thank you, KC.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 22, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
Bay Area Transplant Living in KC for over a year now. I love the city, but am worried about gentrification... (self.kansascity)
submitted 8 hours ago by kthrowc

I never thought I would live in KC. I grew up in the Bay Area for most of my life, worked for the city in economic development. I watched most of my friends move away from the city because of the high standard of living, or just lived with their parents well into their late 20s to early 30s. I was lucky enough to get into law school and extend my stay in the bay area a bit longer. But one thing was for sure, I could not stay...
I lived in DC, Boston, Chicago, and NYC for a couple of years. But then I found KC. My god, what a lovely city. It absolutely blew my mind what a hidden gem this city is: the people, transit (I know its new, but still awesome that the street car is free, and the buses are the cleanest I've ever seen.), and the FOOD. OH MY GOD THE FOOD. This food rivals and beats out almost any other city. I applied for a summer job at a big firm about 3 years ago, got it, and they hired me after I graduate.
I am doing well for myself. My wife and I are able to afford our own apartment instead of living with my parents to save money. We are able to go out and live our lives, not counting pennies like we used to in SF. Get great food, awesome entertainment (sports, concerts, events, etc.), and getting involved with the community.
Then, I started to get worried from what I am seeing.
I started to see more and more young professionals moving in places that were "revitalized". I started to notice more and more people are getting "pushed out of the city" and how they are also being priced out to enjoy the city as much as these young people with money. I started to notice the term "economic development" being used to justify looking down at poor people, racial inequality, and investment in things that really do not help people, but rather just bringing wealth...
I started to notice gentrification.
I really fell in love with this city. I know how revamping places like downtown that were once ghost towns were really necessary to even bring people like me into the city. But as someone who lived in a place that literally priced me out, on top of working in economic development... it's starting to bother me that this is happening to a place like this.
I really just want to raise a major red flag about gentrification. KC is really up and coming, but promoting the wrong economic steps can really push natives out, deepen divides, and have the city lose its soul to wealth rather than keeping it for its people. I am a firm believer in community programs that help people over tax breaks for developers. This may be an unpopular opinion coming from an outsider, but I have witness and experienced the effects of gentrification, and noticed its signs here.
Please stay involved, listen to other people that do not have big-business interests, invest in people (not corporations), intensely study new development projects that actually meet the needs of everyone, and vote down any measure that may change the spirit of a neighborhood through out-pricing its people.
Thank you, KC.

The Big Train

« Reply #984 on: December 16, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 31, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 31, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
I hope they get some weird brain parasite (other than the dumbass one infecting them now).

The Big Train

« Reply #988 on: January 15, 2018, 09:05:15 AM »
The Alex Jones bit I rough ridin' lost it

https://twitter.com/gizmodo/status/952918317685075968

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:13 AM »
oh hell yes!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/dining/raw-water-unfiltered.html?_r=0&referer=https://t.co/MLZVnLM3Q8

:lol: :lol:

San Francisco, more like Suck Francisco.  Spent 3 days there recently to see slack jr. off to Hong Kong.  Asked him how HK compared to SF and he was all  :lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: January 19, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 20, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 21, 2018, 06:40:01 PM »
 :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 23, 2018, 11:01:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/DONCATmusic/status/955987435900432386

I ALWAYS see this. usually they're on rough ridin' electric unicycles. (trying to figure out what they were led me to this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQvgOUfXTI

:lol:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 23, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »
watching the beasley-warriors broadcast, short thing about curry helping teach a mindfulness class to elementary students with a shot of them all meditating and doing yoga

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 23, 2018, 11:43:07 PM »
watching the beasley-warriors broadcast, short thing about curry helping teach a mindfulness class to elementary students with a shot of them all meditating and doing yoga
Lol yes

Also aren't the Warriors broadcasters the absolute worst? (The old white guys at least)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 24, 2018, 02:44:54 AM »
i dont remember what was said, but a few things did make me think to myself "man these guys are dbags"

also after curry crossed up our guy and made a 3, they started laughing and making fun of him. like come on, steph does that to everybody, why single out our guy. i was very :curse:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 26, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »
At the bougie grocery store

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire