Author Topic: Lakers, Celtics Who ya got?  (Read 11276 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lakers, Celtics Who ya got?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 07:24:38 AM »
Prediction threads suck.  Now, let me tell you why Rondo is so fracking awesome.  Aside from the normal point guard stuff, this dude chases down rebounds and loose balls like no one else, makes defensive plays that make opposing players look incredibly stupid, makes highlight reel ball fakes that also make opposing players look incredibly stupid, and does all that crap without ever breaking a sweat. 
He is fun to watch, but he would be much better if he ever took a shot where he wasn't absolutely wide open. I feel like I've seen him come off of a pick and roll several times with plenty of space only to pass it up. Kind of frustrating when it seems like any other player would take that shot.

umm, he's doing just fine without doing that.  He's not a shooter.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 07:41:39 AM »
Prediction threads suck.  Now, let me tell you why Rondo is so fracking awesome.  Aside from the normal point guard stuff, this dude chases down rebounds and loose balls like no one else, makes defensive plays that make opposing players look incredibly stupid, makes highlight reel ball fakes that also make opposing players look incredibly stupid, and does all that crap without ever breaking a sweat. 
He is fun to watch, but he would be much better if he ever took a shot where he wasn't absolutely wide open. I feel like I've seen him come off of a pick and roll several times with plenty of space only to pass it up. Kind of frustrating when it seems like any other player would take that shot.

My point is that I love how he absolutely clowns his opposition.  Passing on wide open shots is another aspect of this.  Plus, you know that even if he took more of those shots, he still wouldn't break a sweat.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 09:11:15 AM »
Hard to watch Rondo, Allen and Pierce cry, flop and fake injure themselves all over the court last night.  Felt like I was watching a world cup soccer match.  They are a disgrace.

3 of Kobe's fouls were on ridic. flops.  Allen, Rondo and that fat cross-eyed guy all took turns going down like they were hit by sniper fire without being touched.  Hey referees, news flash, every time a Celtic players head snaps back, or he flies ten feet through the air out of bounds he's doing it on purpose.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »
Last minute and a half of that game was the first time I've seen Kobe not come through in the clutch, is he losing it?.(airball that artest rebounded doesn't count)

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
Last minute and a half of that game was the first time I've seen Kobe not come through in the clutch, is he losing it?.(airball that artest rebounded doesn't count)

He's about 50-50 on coming through in the clutch in his career.  He is starting to slow down as well, though.

Offline get_HIT

• Combo-Fan
  • "I just love the Jayhawk...It should be killed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »
i guess last night at the rec, the whole team + hoskins i guess were all watchin the game on the big screens at the end, and curtis was cheerin the loudest for the lakers, he was sayin he knew somebody on the lakers (i wasnt there heard it through one of the middle school campers that was with them) I am assuming he might know Artest through their New York days, maybe they hooped it up at the Rucker.
"He was in the group of about four or five troll K-State fans who were celebrating like they had just won a national title." -BMW on get_HIT

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
Odom and Artest were on the same 11 yr old team in Queens or some crap - very similar to Beaz & KD.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 05:21:35 AM »
He looked pretty clutch when he hit that 3 pointer in Grant Hill's eye to seal game 6 up against the Suns.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
old vs older. shot is nullified.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »
He looked pretty clutch when he hit that 3 pointer in Grant Hill's eye to seal game 6 up against the Suns.

he looked clutch about a billion times that game.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »
Doc Rivers after every single call:   :bawl:  :angry:  :runaway:  :curse:  :bawl:  :bawl:  :bawl:  :runaway:  :curse:

Phil Jackson after every single call:   :cool:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 06:18:56 AM »
I think Phil Jackson is a tremendous coach, but I don't think anyone could ever beat him in a whiny bitch contest.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
I think Phil Jackson is a tremendous coach, but I don't think anyone could ever beat him in a whiny bitch contest.

Are you kidding me?  Doc Rivers just took first place in the whiny bitch contest at the whiny bitch festival in whiny bitchtown, USA.    :confused:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 08:51:10 AM »

Are you kidding me?  Doc Rivers just took first place in the whiny bitch contest at the whiny bitch festival in whiny bitchtown, USA.    :confused:

I'd agree with you if last night was the only game I'd ever watched.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 09:00:39 AM »

Have you listened to Phil at all in one of his press conferences, he sounds like Jeff Van Gundy commentating on one of his brothers games.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »

Are you kidding me?  Doc Rivers just took first place in the whiny bitch contest at the whiny bitch festival in whiny bitchtown, USA.    :confused:
Have you listened to Phil at all in one of his press conferences, he sounds like Jeff Van Gundy commentating on one of his brothers games.

Doc has been sending tape of calls he disagrees with into the league after every game.  After last nights game he probably just sent the whole game tape in with this picture.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 02:10:13 PM »

Are you kidding me?  Doc Rivers just took first place in the whiny bitch contest at the whiny bitch festival in whiny bitchtown, USA.    :confused:

Doc has been sending tape of calls he disagrees with into the league after every game.  After last nights game he probably just sent the whole game tape in with this picture.

Phil is the chairman, ceo, cfo, president, chancellor, king, and vice president of lobbying for calls and bitching.
In fact I think he invented bitching and whining for calls. http://www.ask.com/bar?q=phil+jackson+sending+in+game+tape+lobbying+for+calls&page=1&qsrc=121&dm=all&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.espn.go.com%2Fespn%2Fpage2%2Fstory%3Fpage%3Dhruby%2F100518_phil_jackson_officiating%26sportCat%3Dnba&sg=VuAwqGjCDDtajvIqDvNcTsgjTphaKinRH6EsMTdbtHg%3D&tsp=1276283292782

Offline goldenticket

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
Doc Rivers after every single call:   :bawl:  :angry:  :runaway:  :curse:  :bawl:  :bawl:  :bawl:  :runaway:  :curse:

Phil Jackson after every single call:   :cool:

haha this is so true. phil does complain but in a totally understated and mellow way. like in the pheonix series he threw out a dart about how steve nash is hard to guard because he carries the ball on certain moves. and then the press ran with the story. after game 3 doc was going on and on about the refs in the press conference and the next day he was still crying in a press conference. phil just throws a line or two out there and doc loses his crap for days over it

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 09:46:19 PM »
kobe again, 4th quarter and he needs to take over the game but he 

maybe not enough in then tank after his 3rd quarter performance?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 11:00:07 PM »
Kobe is a cry baby.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »
Why don't you dorks head over to GPC.  They've got some great Kobe hate threads over there.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 08:13:35 AM »
Stats don't lie

First 8 mins of 3rd qtr   Final 8 mins of 4th qtr
Points   19                                5
FGs   7-for-8                                0-for-3
FTs   2-for-3                                5-for-5

Not to mention he had atleast 1 or 2 TOs

Offline goldenticket

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »
i have confidence the lakers can still win also

"BOSTON -- In an odd Finals filled with statistical oddities and in which each game has borne virtually no resemblance to its predecessor, it's perhaps fitting that through five games we're left with another unusual situation: There is no clear-cut choice for series MVP. In fact, if Boston were to close things out with a win in Game 6 on Tuesday, as many as four Celtics could garner serious consideration.

Of course, the MVP doesn't have to come from the winning team. While this isn't the letter of the rule it's been an unwritten law for the past four decades -- every Finals MVP since 1969 has come from the winning team. Alas, every rule has its exception, and after Sunday night's 38-point effort we may be looking at one in the form of Kobe Bryant.

While the Celtics deserve their 3-2 lead in the series, there's no question who the best player has been over these first five games. That point was driven home with a sledgehammer in Game 5 when Bryant scored 19 points in the third quarter only to find the Celtics' lead had increased when he was done.

This continued a Finals in which Bryant has had at least 20 points in every game, has had only one game that possibly could be construed as somewhere close to ordinary (Game 2), and has had a pair (Games 1 and 5) in which he was absolutely spectacular.

For the series, Bryant is averaging 30.2 points per game; no other player is averaging more than 19. He's done it reasonably efficiently too, with a 55.2 true shooting percentage in a series in which the average has been 53.4. That's amazing considering the difficulty of the attempts he's taken, especially in Game 5.

Bryant has filled the stat sheet in various and sundry other ways, too. Bryant leads all Finals players in steals, is second in assists and has yanked down six rebounds a game. About the only quibble one could make is that he's been a bit turnover-prone; of course, he's playing against the league's top turnover-forcing defense, so this shouldn't come as a huge shock.

And while the league doesn't award extra points for degree of difficulty, part of the reason Bryant has been forced into such challenging attempts is how little help he's received from the cavalry. Again, this point was hammered into our consciousness in the second half of Game 5 -- Pau Gasol was the only Lakers starter to score a basket after halftime, and his play was tepid throughout (among his other assorted flubs, did anyone else catch him standing in the paint watching as Nate Robinson flew by for an easy fourth-quarter layup?).

If you're not sold on Bryant's MVP case yet, then consider the alternative. If not Kobe, who?

Rajon Rondo, who has yet to have a 20-point game and is 4-for-15 from the free throw line in the series? Ray Allen, who made a record eight 3-pointers in Game 2 but is 0-for-18 from distance in the other four games? Paul Pierce, who didn't become a factor in the series until Game 4? Kevin Garnett, who had only six points in Game 2 and has played only 30.8 minutes a game for the series?

The fact is Bryant has been by far the most productive player, and the only reason the Celtics are ahead is because five of the next six best players (the four above and supersub Glen Davis) have been wearing green. If series MVP voters are using their heads and not their hearts, Bryant is an obvious pick even with his team trailing.

There's an irony here, of course. I mentioned above that only one player has won Finals MVP in a losing effort; it was Bryant's idol and mentor, former Lakers star Jerry West. Wait, there's more. It came in the 1969 Finals … against the Celtics … against a veteran Boston team, in fact, that had won only 48 games and was seeded just fourth in the Eastern Conference at the start of the playoffs. L.A. ended up losing Game 7 at home despite 42 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists from West.

A lot of water still has to go under the bridge for Kobe to join West, but suffice it to say that if Kobe goes for 42, 13 and 12 in a losing effort in the finale the award is probably his regardless of what anyone on the Celtics does.

Of course, Kobe would only join West if the Lakers did, in fact, lose the series. He could also go down in history more happily if the Lakers win the final two games. At this point I'd say it's a foregone conclusion that he'll win the award if that happens, with Gasol having essentially eliminated himself from further consideration with his performances in Games 4 and 5 and no other player coming close to Bryant statistically.

Alas, the odds of L.A. winning both games are not great. While the Lakers pulled the feat off against Detroit in 1988, historically teams trailing 3-2 in the Finals have lost the series 34 times out of 40. The last team to win in such circumstances was Houston in 1994; since then the past eight teams to lead 3-2 have won the series (Chicago in 1996, 1997 and 1998, L.A. in 2000, San Antonio in 2003 and 2005, Miami in 2006 and Boston in 2008).

However, optimists will point out that only Miami in 2006 and Chicago in 1998 were playing on the road in those final two games. Since the league went to a 2-3-2 format, teams coming home with a 3-2 deficit have won twice (Houston in 1994, L.A. in 1988) and lost four times (Dallas in 2006, Utah in 1998, Boston in 1985 and Phoenix in 1993).

Nonetheless, it's hard to be encouraged about the Lakers' plight right now, as one wonders where additional help may come from for Bryant. Most crucially, center Andrew Bynum has to play on a short turnaround after a six-hour flight; flying tends to hurt players recuperating from injuries because it encourages swelling and stiffness (the Celtics won't practice on Monday before heading to L.A. for that exact reason).

And few have forgotten that it was Bynum's absence that allowed Boston to bully Gasol, Lamar Odom and any other Lakers not wearing No. 24 in the 2008 Finals.

Thus, the odds are looking long for the Lakers' hopes of claiming a repeat championship, and all the talk about Bryant joining Magic in L.A.'s five-rings club may be wasted breath. Instead, there's a decent chance Bryant will join another legendary Laker in the history books, in a way that he probably wished he wouldn't."
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:09:38 PM by goldenticket »

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
missed game 5.  did Ray Allen do anything enough to impress mvp voters to get my 20-1 odds to pay off?

Offline goldenticket

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
he scored 12 points and hasnt made a 3 pointer since his record breaking game 2 performance